Bloody Hell that's similar!

Crybaby Bunting

I was just talking to a mate earlier who was convinced that Motorway to Roswell by the Pixies was completely ripped off by Muse in the song Starlight, after listening to the song I was surprised how completely identical the main riff was.

So I figure some others will have realised that other songs sound almost identical to others.

So far the only huge standouts in my collection are:

SOAD - Lost In Hollwood / Radiohead - Spirit Street

Ynigwie Malmsteen - Devil In Disguise / Iron Maiden - Mother Russia

Now with the second I have no idea which came first, but the intro is pretty much identical... and the riff is similar I believe.

So do any of you have any shocking revelations that would shock the music world?

EDIT: Forgot Xanadu by Rush getting ripped off by Guns N' Roses with Sweet Child O' Mine

Edited by The General

Big Boys have a song that is a carbon copy of a Cockney Rejects song. Though part of the lyrics in the song are "I'm a punk and I like Sham, Cockney Rejects are the worlds greatest band". The "I'm a punk and I like Sham" lyric are quoted from yet another Cockney Rejects song.

Now I've heard a lot of this, but can't quite remember too many. I do know a lot of Ramones song sound similar, as do a lot of Chuck Berry songs.

And Airbourne.

Audioslave's "Cochise" and Pantera's "I'm Broken".

Black Stone Cherry's "Lonely Train" and Black Label Society's "Bleed For Me".

Megadeth's "Mechanix" and Metallica's "Four Horsemen". :shifty:

Ynigwie Malmsteen - Devil In Disguise / Iron Maiden - Mother Russia

Now with the second I have no idea which came first, but the intro is pretty much identical... and the riff is similar I believe.

They were both released in 1990, so I'd assume it was a coincidence.

One I've noticed is Helloween's Time of the Oath and whoever did Chris Benoit's theme. The riff is THE SAME. Also, The riff to The Unbeliever by Edguy sounds a hell of a like the riff from The Headless Game, just sped up a lot. That can't really be a coincidence, since they're on the same album!

Richard Marx on the second song? They're really scraping the barrel there. He also got Mika's lyrics wrong. <_<

On a similar note there's a few songs that use Pachelbel's Canon - Basket Case, Don't Look Back In Anger, blah blah blah.

And I've got this friend of me to illustrate some other progressions for you. He gets off on this. He is also not actually my friend.

Oh and here's the Paki-B canon video I was looking for earlier -

6 million views so I assume you've already seen it several thousand times. <_< Edited by aluminiumman!

"Don't Stop" by the Chili Peppers rips off Jeff Buckley's "Eternal Life" blatantly and horribly.

That reminds me that the solo in DaniCal (right at the end) sounds a lot like Purple Haze.

Edit: And apparently Smells Like Teen Spirit is a rip off of More than a feeling... Not saying it isn't, but I personally don't hear it.

Edited by Footjob Fever

Smells Like Teen Spirit and Rape Me are the same goddamn song, but Rape Me is slowed down.

Other than that, I was just listening to the newest Mudvayne album the other day, and one of the song's intro was almost identical to a song on Korn's Take A Look In The Mirror album

Because they were mentioned, I'd like to throw it out there that Airbourne are fucking awesome.

Pretty good live too..saw them last year with Finger Eleven and they put on a great energetic show..considering at the time I actually never heard of them

And to keep on topic

The Bangles- Walk Like An Egyptian & JET- Are You Gonna Be My Girl

Edited by Lint6

The Bangles- Walk Like An Egyptian & JET- Are You Gonna Be My Girl

I honestly don't see it. I've always held the opinion that the opening of "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" is pretty much a huge lift from "Lust for Life" by Iggy Pop.

Maybe I think so, or hear it, because I have a mash-up mp3 that puts the two songs together