Spider-Man 4 in the works

New Spider-Man movie in the works as evidenced by this site.

Apparently it's scheduled to come out on May 6, 2011.

‘Spider-Man 4’ Producer Says Kirsten Dunst Returning, Hints At Villain’s Identity

Published by Josh Wigler on Monday, June 8, 2009 at 10:04 am.

Kirsten Dunst“Spider-Man 4” director Sam Raimi might not know who the film’s villain will be or if Kirsten Dunst will return to the franchise, but producer Todd Black seems to have a firmer grasp on the movie’s status.

In an interview with the New York Post, Black confirmed that Kirsten Dunst will be appearing in the fourth “Spider-Man” installment, returning once again to portray Mary Jane Watson, Peter Parker’s main squeeze. Black also said that the film would not feature a wedding between the two characters, so we’ll just have to remain satisfied with their newspaper nuptials for now.

As for who the villain in the new film would be, Black wouldn’t get too into detail — though the producer did squash rumors that Morbius the vampire would be the movie’s main nemesis. Still, he did offer one particularly interesting clue about the bad guy’s identity…

“We’re just coming up with who the villain’s going to be now,” said Black. “We’ll be shooting in New York again. Trust me, people will appreciate who we pick, because it’ll be a big part of New York.”

The Post offers their best guesses as to who Black could be referring to, listing Kraven the Hunter and Kingpin as the two forerunners for Spider-Man’s next big rival. Rumors of Mickey Rourke as a Spider-Man villain fueled speculation that Kraven could hunt his way into the sequel, as the two are physically comparable — but the big-game hunter’s only real tie to Manhattan is his status as an extreme outsider. (Marvel Comics’ official Spider-Man editor, Steve Wacker, previously gave Kraven the Hunter his vote of support as a potential nemesis for the wall-crawler, too.)

Kingpin certainly fits the bill of being relevant to New York City, though the Post notes that Fox could still own the rights for the character based on the previous “Daredevil” film, meaning he could only appear in “Spider-Man” if Sony worked out an arrangement with the rival studio — an unlikely possibility, given recent reports that Fox plans to reboot the “Daredevil” franchise.

There’s certainly no shortage of excellent Spider-Man villains to choose from — be it the seductive Black Cat, the theatrical Mysterio or the long-hyped Lizard, the next “Spider-Man” villain is sure to be an interesting pick.

source

Dunno if it's been posted yet, if it has, someone please close this, if not... well, speculate away, I guess.

I presume it's so the audience can truly fear Carnage, watching him maim and psychotically dismantle people, but it really depends on how it's written. Doctor Octopus' implied violence with his tentacles on the surgeons paled in comparison to what The Joker was doing in TDK

Edited by IDM

And The Dark Knight wasn't R. With the right directing and shots, there's no reason that Carnage can't come off like he is intended to in the comics with a PG-13 rating or 14A rating. You're never going to see Spider-Man be R, and frankly, I wouldn't want it to be either. Spider-Man has never been about gratuitous violence and having it for the sake of getting Carnage over as RAAARRRR HE'S CRAZY is weak. It can easily be done with well-thought implying. In fact, I'd commend the people who make Spidey 4 a lot more if they pulled off a 'chilling' Carnage (or whatever other adjective you want to use) without having to retort to visceral and fully-fledged violence for the sake of getting Carnage's character over.

How about the Rhino? Really anything would be better after the crap they pulled last time. I hope they don't go with multiple villains again though.

If Todd Black's comments are reliable, it'll be The Lizard. The Lizard's gimmick is based on the classic urban myth of alligators in the NYC sewers, even tho his first appearance had Spidey and J. Jonah Jameson encountering him in The Florida Everglades.

Whether that story line works out or not, Raimi hopes to finally reward Dylan Baker's patience with a villainous payoff similar to what Franco enjoyed in "3." "I love Dylan Baker as a person, and I really like the character he is developing," the filmmaker said of Dr. Curt Connors, Parker's one-armed, screen-time-challenged professor in the first three flicks.

"The Lizard is probably one of my favorite characters," he said of the baddie Connors eventually became in the comics. (He joined the Sinister Six when they became the Sinister Twelve, by the way.) "But ['Spider-Man 4'] will probably have to start with the central journey of the main character to arrive at the proper villain."

Link

I think my perfect scenario, and the one I wanted for 3 instead of the Venom debacle, is to have Kraven show up in NYC to track down The Lizard with much hype and whatnot (like a sinister cross between Steve Irwin and Bear Grylls) and end up hunting Spider-Man for some other villain (J. Jonah Jameson?).

It's a two villain concept that can has opportunity for 4 good fights (Spidey vs. Lizard, Spidey vs. Kraven, Kraven vs. Lizard, Spidey vs. Kraven vs. Lizard) without being overly cluttered. The two villain gimmicks support each other and set up a classic "hunter becomes the hunted" situation.

I'm hoping Raimi just gets back to form and brings Spider-Man back to prominence in time for Marvel's big box office push.

EDIT - And people's childhood recollections of Carnage are far more violent than the comics actually were. To the best of my knowledge all those early Venom/Carnage storylines were Comics Code Approved. Sure, there was the suggestion of crazy wanton murder, but you never actually saw any. When it came time to fight it was still all "rAWARAER!" kicky-punchy hijinx. The Death of Jean DeWolff, also Code-approved, was much more violent and bloody.

Edited by TheRaySays

That could work, but they tried the multiple enemy route last time and fucked it up severely. I hope they do a better job of balancing it out if they go that route because that seems like it could be a pretty good idea.

Yeah, I think those "Carnage would only work if it were rated-R" complaints were destroyed when The Dark Knight came out.

But Carnage wouldn't work without Venom and seeing how they completely blew it with Venom is SM3 (as well as everything else in SM3), I doubt that'll happen. I also really wish Maguire and Dunst would stay out of this one considering how utterly bored they looked last time around.

Edited by Zero

Holy shit, I liked Spider-Man 3. :/

I'm with you on that one. I would probably rank it as one of my favourites actually. I'm not much for speculating on this movie as I don't know near enough about the comics for it.

There's actual another character in the movie who's nearly as equal in entertainment value, but ofter overlooked in revision, and that's the French Maitre'd when Peter wants to propose to Mary Jane in that restaurant but the 'signal' to bring over the champagne and ring is continually mistaken. I just discovered this a few weeks ago, the guy was played by Bruce Campbell, who played the ring announcer for the wrestling match in Spider-Man 1 and the "rude usher" in Spider-Man 2. Props to Campbell for being loyal to the franchise.