Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

What's that I read? 'Pompey deny administration rumours'? That sounds about as bad as a manager who "has the board's full backing".

Someone needs to start taking bets on which club will completely disintegrate first:

* Portsmouth

* Queens Park Rangers

* Notts County

* Watford?

* Liverpool :shifty:

And so on.

You forgot Ipswich... then again, they're kinda doing alright now :/

I don't understand how Portsmouth can continue to exist as a Premier League club other than the FA realise that by admitting there is a problem will be admitting fault for OKing the Pompy bid ¬_¬

EDIT: Best quote ever today

"Portsmouth may have to sell their top players in the new year unless they can find £18m by the start of January to service outstanding debts. "

What top players? They have some upper Championship tier players at best :/

Edited by The General

"Portsmouth may have to sell their top players in the new year unless they can find £18m by the start of January to service outstanding debts. "

What top players? They have some upper Championship tier players at best hmm.gif

Well, I'm sure they'll eek out at least £15m of that from either Man City or Chelsea for David James. shifty.gif

It looks like Landon Donavon is headed to Everton for a couple month loan to stay in form for the World Cup during the MLS off season. It will be interesting to see how he performs because his couple trips to Germany didn't turn out to well but he has been really playing well this year for both club and country. If he does continue to play well I wouldn't be surprised to see get a deal somewhere after the World Cup.

:(

BBCSport

West Ham's former England striker Dean Ashton has announced his retirement at the age of 26 after failing to recover from a long-term ankle injury.

Ashton broke his left ankle while training with England in August 2006, ahead of a friendly with Greece.

He underwent several operations but was unable to return to full fitness and has followed medical advice to retire.

West Ham chief executive Scott Duxbury told the club's website: "This is a sad day and our thoughts are with Dean."

More follows.

• Like 1

The West Ham United striker has announced his retirement from football having failed to recover from the injury sustained during a training session while on England duty.

In an apparently ground-breaking case, Ashton is believed to be investigating whether both Wright-Phillips and his employers at the time, Chelsea, can be the subject of legal action. It may be argued that Chelsea face what is termed a vicarious liability even though the winger was on international duty.

Telegraph article

That's just ridiculous.

I mean I find the whole idea of players suing other players for on-pitch (or apparently also on-training-ground-of-a-different-club) stuff ridiculous to begin with, but that has unfortunately happened a few times before.

Clearly we should get a legal case together now for when Rooney (inevitably) gets injured prior to the World Cup and claim damages on losses to the British economy because we go out in the Quarter Finals rather than the Semis or some such bollocks.

I hate litigation culture.