Official Premier League 2009/10 thread

Lineker

At first i was skeptical of MON shelling out 12 million for an injured Downing but ever since he has put on a Villa shirt he has been, no doubt, our stand out player. He was excellent today.

We need to start keeping clean sheets though

Are you on heroin? Prior to yesterday Downing has been a let down in most matches. He is afraid to jump into tackles, and his final ball in the first half yesterday was atrocious.

Been to a few games this season and, to me and a fair few others, he has settled in very well. His range of passing is probably up there with Beckham or at least close to it. He didnt have the best of first halfs yesterday but he was brilliant in the second.

Wish Petrov would stop dilly dallying in front of the penalty area. He always seems to go back on himself rather than passing the ball forward.

Downing has been absolute shit for about 6 games on the trot, including the first half against Burnley. Even O'Neill said he has struggled big time recently, so I don't know what games you've been watching that merits his passing matching Beckhams.

Valencia was man of the match by a mile today. He's quick, strong and puts in brilliant crosses. Could do with developing a left foot but he was wonderful today and gave Rooney the easiest headers possible to finish. I'd probably put him right next to Evra as our best performer this season.

Valencia had a few games where he just wasn't as effective though. Not to say he hasn't been great, because I think he has, but you're actually saying either of those two have been better than Rooney, a player who is probably having his best season in football so far? While Evra and the likes of Valencia have looked great this season, Rooney has been by a million miles our most important and best player.

Forgot to also add, what is this nonsense about Ashley Cole and his position at Chelsea being under threat? I know the papers talk a tonne of shit, but this is ridiculous. Has everybody just forgot that he's pretty much the best left back in football?

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

To be honest, they didn't go with the 'he is going to get replaced because he is sleeping around' angle, like JP seems to be suggesting. What they instead suggested was that HE may go elsewhere, as Chelsea have fined him and they were suggesting he was being made a scapegoat for their new clampdown on sleaze, or something.

Whether it is a correct story or not, it isn't the one that was being suggested.

There was originally a story that Abramovich was so pissed off with it all that Ashley could be shipped out in the summer. That has since been toned down to the ~£400,000 fine story.

Although now that I go and find it again, it seems that one was not courtesy of the Mirror, but rather the equally bullshitty Daily Mail.

article-1267097481755-087246F1000005DC-900524_636x300.jpg

Gotta love Arshavin. His Q&A section on his website is hilarious. http://www.arshavin.eu/news.php?f=1&. Some of the best questions/answers:

13. From veizel

Hi! I’m overweight. What shall I do?

Arshavin: Lose weight

14. From veizel

Hi, Andrey! I am 13 years old and I began to play football 2 years ago.

Do you think I’ll be able to become a professional footballer?

Arshavin: I do not know.

18. From iorh99

Do you watch football on TV?

Arshavin: Yes

22. From kostea

Have you ever been stung by the bees in the forehead or near the eye?

Arshavin: No, but I’ve been stung once in my behind by a bee.

26. From kostea

Andrey, how often do you eat onions or garlic??

Arshavin: It happens sometimes…

6. From McRussian

Do you have an opportunity to travel a little in your spare time? There are a lot of great places in Britain especially in Scotland)). Come to Scotland (not just to score against Celtic Park), we’ll go north, in the mountains! Or we can go to have a look at the ocean!

Arshavin: Yes, I’ve heard a lot about it. But I'm afraid I won’t be able to come. A trip like this takes at least 3 days: two days for the road and one for sightseeing. The team has no more than 2 days off. Somehow I feel that we won’t go to Scotland even after my career is over.

Arshavin looks so much like this retarded kid from my secondary school it's unreal. Whenever he does something brilliant I can't believe I'm seeing it because I'm picturing the kid who managed to print off about 40 pages of hentai in IT once but can't even spell his name. I think I read somewhere that he's a sex symbol in Russia as well... how did that happen? Arshavin obviously, not the retard.

Edited by Pesci

So with Pompey in administration, and Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth all known to be in money trouble - I think Tottenham fans should be shitting themselves for 10 years time with 'Arry. Odd how there seems to be money issues everywhere he goes ¬_¬

• Like 1

So with Pompey in administration, and Southampton, West Ham and Bournemouth all known to be in money trouble - I think Tottenham fans should be shitting themselves for 10 years time with 'Arry. Odd how there seems to be money issues everywhere he goes ¬_¬

Exactly the fucking cunt. I can't stand the man. Ruins every club he goes to. Offers insane wages for clubs who cannot financially support such structures in the long-term.

Although Spurs have a habit of paying over the odds for players, they are the perfect couple.