The Hockey Thread

Clawson

So yeah, since the draft is on Saturday and all and I consider the draft the beginning of a new season I figured it was time to open a new thread.

I wouldn't be able to watch the draft this year as I'm going to the cottage but if I see the Leafs draft Schenn 2.0 I'm gonna blow a hole straight through my pants.

So what are the odds the Islanders fuck up this gift of a draft, pass on Tavares, suck for another season, pack up and move to Kansas City and leave me looking for a new hockey team?

They are drafting Tavares. They are just keeping quiet about it. I don't see how they could pass up the opportunity to draft such a marketable player considering their situation.

I dunno, ESPN Insider has me scared with a blurb about how they're leaning towards Duchene. Its the Islanders, until Tavares is on the ice for them next season, I don't think I'll believe it.

I dunno, ESPN Insider has me scared with a blurb about how they're leaning towards Duchene. Its the Islanders, until Tavares is on the ice for them next season, I don't think I'll believe it.

It is always possible that Duchene blew them away at the draft combine, but I still believe they would want to draft Tavares and use him to gather more support for a new arena. Also, this article from Howard Berger caught my eye. I take everything he says with a grain of salt, but still...

TORONTO (June 22) — One of my trusted bird-dogs from Sweden has spoken with the people representing Jonas Gustavsson, and he is convinced the Maple Leafs stand an excellent chance of landing the free agent goalie. “Originally, it was thought that Jonas would take his time making a decision, but it sounds like he was really blown away by the Leafs,” the source insisted. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he chooses Toronto rather quickly. The sense I get is that Brian Burke put together a plan that did an excellent job of convincing Jonas about the opportunity with the Maple Leafs. Apparently, he really liked the city as well. So, I think the Leafs are right at the front of the line among teams pursuing him, though he hasn’t yet indicated which way he’ll turn.”

Dallas, Colorado and San Jose are also among the teams that covet Gustavsson.

My source suggested the Leafs’ pitch was more hockey-centric than those from other clubs, particularly Dallas, which apparently did everything except allow Gustavsson to fire rubber bullets from the sixth floor of the old Texas Schoolbook Depository Building. “The Stars really went all out for Jonas, and he likes the people in their organization, especially [new GM] Joe Nieuwendyk,” I was told. “They took him to many different events and you probably heard that he was introduced to (former U.S. president) George W. Bush. But, the Leafs were a bit more focussed in their presentation. They stuck to hockey, and the potential future for him to be the No. 1 goalie on an improving team.

“From what I was told, that really caught his attention.”

Gustavsson is arguably the most sought-after free agent on the market right now, after a superb showing for Farjestad in the Swedish Elite League playoffs. The Leafs were successful in landing a couple of highly-touted college free agents late in the past season — Christian Hanson and Tyler Bozak. Commodities of this ilk are particularly desirable to NHL teams, which do not have to yield assets in order to acquire them. The downside is that such multi-layered interest isn’t necessarily a barometer of National Hockey League potential.

The risks, however, are minimal.

E-mail howard.berger@rci.rogers.com

Source: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Howard-Berg...Toronto/3/21666

I fully expect the Islanders to take Tavares first overall, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to go a different route.

I don't think one young guy is going to help Charles Wang get a new arena, and honestly, believe that Garth Snow, being a goaltender, might be leaning towards a From the Back-End Out type of approach, in which case, Victor Hedman would be a very good selection.

Odds on Bettman being the one to take the picture? I'd say 2-1.

:rolleyes:

Come on, the whole "Bettman's boy" thing is even more played out than the whole "Crosby's a diver" thing. When will Crosby haters get some new material?

That said, the inevitable photoshop of Gary Bettman in place of the Cup will likely still be pretty funny, if done properly.

Source: GM in charge of hockey mattersComment Email Print Share By Pierre LeBrun

ESPN.com

Feuding Tampa Bay Lightning owners Oren Koules and Len Barrie met with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Tuesday and the end result, a source told ESPN.com, is that GM Brian Lawton will be the point man for all hockey matters.

Last offseason, a source told ESPN.com, both owners were cutting deals with player agents on July 1 at the same time Lawton was fielding offers -- an arrangement all three had agreed upon. But given the deterioration of the relationship between Barrie and Koules, such an agreement won't work this offseason.

Part of the reason for the meeting with Bettman is that Lawton and Koules feared Barrie would try to sign his own players next week.

A source said Tuesday that the meeting with Bettman ended and it was agreed that Lawton would handle all contact with player agents and other GMs -- in other words, all signings and trades.

In the meantime, the team is facing several serious decisions. First, the Lightning must decide whether to trade Vincent Lecavalier, although Lawton has repeatedly told the Tampa media he is not looking to move Lecavalier. The two owners seem to be on different pages on that matter.

Second, the Lightning must decide what to do if the New York Islanders take Swedish defenseman Victor Hedman instead of center John Tavares with the first overall pick in the NHL draft Friday night. Do they draft Tavares, even though they need a defenseman, or see what other teams want to offer for the second overall pick?

My God, this team is a fucking mess....They need Bettman to tell them that the GM handles all contract issues?!?!?!?

I have been a Lightning fan since the begininng, but this is getting crazy.....It makes me wish we had the "mystery Japanese" owner again

Flyers have found themselves a goalie for next year...

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with 6’2’’, 196-pound goaltender Ray Emery, according to club general manager Paul Holmgren. Per club policy, financial terms were not disclosed.

“We are extremely excited and happy to have entered into this agreement with Ray,” said Holmgren. “We believe Ray is a good, young goalie that has a unique blend of size, competitiveness and athleticism.”

“I’m excited to be able to get a chance to play with a team that’s a contender and I’m grateful for the opportunity that’s being given,” said Emery. “I think I have the ability to play consistent. I’m athletic, but I try to rely on a system and make things as simple as possible.”

Emery, 26, appeared in 36 regular season games with Atlant Mytischi of the Kontinental Hockey League in 2008-09, where he posted a 22-8-0 record with a 2.12 goals-against average and .926 save percentage. He also registered a 3-3 record with a 1.86 GAA and .941 save percentage in seven postseason appearances

This should be VERY interesting.

The Emery thing was news two weeks ago. More recently, they've also looked to the KHL for a second goalie, in former Philly netminder Robert Esche.

I'm not sure what the rationale behind this is, but, clearly, Holmgren sees something wrong with his team and thinks it was in net. Not sure if I believe Emery/Esche is a better combo than Biron/Niittymaki though.