Listen

Mike Widdows

A giant meh from me. What made the Arctic Monkey's so great was their excitement, they had songs that made you want to dance and scream along...the riffs were huge. They tried to shed a lot of that with the 2nd album...and while still really good in places, lots of it really dragged and was dull as hell, because without the explosiveness/excitement/power, it became obvious they didn't have the songwriting skills to really keep peoples attention. Instead of learning from that...with this they've went even further down the road of shedding everything that made them so great in the first place. Not particularly enjoy. :/ It's a very 'Babyshambles style' track...but Turner...you're no Doherty...his voice just isn't good enough to pull off tracks like this.

It's reminded me why Favourite Worst Nightmare is still on my shelf gathering dust... not even ripped to my ipod.

YI pretty much summed it all up really. I remember when Album 1 came out, I hadn't heard anything about them before and bought it on the day of purchase, I think it's the only impulse buy I've ever had that was instantly thrown into my top 10 albums. The hysteria about that time was phenominal... and they've kinda lost that after some meh EPs.

I hope that this was just a meh single and the rest is kinda great but I'm not holding out for that happening.

Agreed with YI. Arctic Monkeys were so much fun when I first heard them, but if they aren't making me want to jump up and have a good time their music is rather meh. I'll still give the new album a chance without a doubt, because I'm a big Homme fan.

Oh and their hair is making them look American. You don't want that, our music acts have defined shitty hair for over 30 years now.

The video for this single was taken down though, so I'll have to wait on hearing it.

Edited by damshow

For those who care (quite a lot on here probably), Zane also played a new Biffy Clyro song ("The Golden Rule") tonight;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=507VSYVfGIQ

Pretty fucking rocking, much better than the Arctic's song (not a patch on new Bloc Party though...even if the keyboard sounds like it's lifted from an N-Trance song :shifty:)...he's also playing new Cribs ("Cheat On Me") tomorrow night. :D

Cribs on in 5 minutes. Zane Lowe's playing through all the weeks 'Exclusive Plays'

Just played Arctic Monkeys...giant meh.

Just played Jet...it blew fucking Arctic Monkey's out the water...shockingly awesome tune.

Biffy Clyro on now...really liking that, some people are shitting on the 'orchestral' bit, I really like it.

Cribs on, on the half hour.

It's a slow one. :( But sounds pretty good...Johnny Marr's doing exactly what he does live with them...just making weird 'wanky' noises and shakes over the song. :shifty:

Edited by YI

The only Biffy Clyro I've ever heard was "Puzzle", and I only got it because Roadrunner Records mailed it to my house. For free. I quite like the CD.

Is it anything like that? :shifty: I've heard that CD was kinda watered down Biffy, or something.

It was a promotional deal they had going at the time the album was released, or something. Roadrunner is (was?) their US label, and they sent out a limited number of albums to people who signed up for it.

Or something, I don't know. That was 2 years ago or something.