Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

METALMAN

What was the point of building up the Death Eaters getting into the castle so much..?

All they did was get in, watch Dumbledore die, and then run away. There was no battle, so that was a bit disappointing..

Oh yeah, all they did was trash the place and kill the on wizard that Voldemort feared. But other than that, totally useless trip.

It was Snape who killed Dumbledore and he was already in the castle. The Unbreakable Vow meant it had to be either Malfoy or Snape, so the others weren't really needed.

Well I think you're really overlooking the big picture here. When it comes down to it, to relate it in terms that we use; the Death Eaters are a terrorist organization. Getting into the castle, fucking some shit up, facilitating the death of Dumbledore (and yeah, the way that things played out.. they only needed Snape, but I'm sure they were just being ready for anything that might happen) and then throwing up the Dark Mark in the only place that they weren't supposed to get to.. yeah that's a pretty big fear tactic right there.

And it'll all lead up into the next movies.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although what I have noticed about the Harry Potter film is that it is only people that have read the book that tend to like it. Seems that in order to enjoy the film you must already know the story. >_>

I thought it was the other way around-those who've read it don't like the films because they already know the story and they always leave out pointa which people whove read the books feel are important to the story.

I would still agree with that, particularly in the case of the lower films. But it seems that some of the things they have left out of the Half Blood Prince are so vital that people that haven't read the book don't have a clue about what's going on without them.

Just to fill people in on the whole point of the Death Eaters getting in... in the book, they come into Hogwarts and cause mass destruction, rather than just messing up the Great Hall. They terrorize the entire building. While in the film, they essentially came in to do something Draco could've done himself, the whole point in the book was that the attack they unleashed on the building was much larger than anything Draco could do. Basically, it just a case of the film leaving out something rather important to the story.

What I wonder is how they are going to tie-in the wedding at the start of the seventh book which isn't even mentioned or anything at all, really, in the movies. Sure, I think it could be overlooked with a lot of editing of the book's story, but it was a pretty vital point in the book where everything changed.

Just to fill people in on the whole point of the Death Eaters getting in... in the book, they come into Hogwarts and cause mass destruction, rather than just messing up the Great Hall. They terrorize the entire building. While in the film, they essentially came in to do something Draco could've done himself, the whole point in the book was that the attack they unleashed on the building was much larger than anything Draco could do. Basically, it just a case of the film leaving out something rather important to the story.

Jairus, while this is the part of the book that I would have loved to see a solid chunk of the movie devoted to in literal adaptation, it REALLY isn't important to the story. I mean, it begs the question of why they are there, but it doesn't functionally achieve anything by NOT being there. The book fans miss out on all the teachers and some students banding together while epic mayhem ensues, but I can see why it was cut way down.