AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

Yeah, I don't know that I would have helped Randall out either. Were I in Rick or Shane's position I'd be especially worried about him after that total overkill with that one zombie at the schoolyard, and even more worried after his whole FUCK YEAH BRO DID YOU SEE WHAT WE DID BACK THERE WOOOOOOOOOO shit in the car. Doesn't exactly strike me as the most stable of characters.

I would kill Randall. Especially after he told the story about his group. He may be telling the truth about not being like them but then again he may not be and when my family's life is at stake I wouldn't take that chance.

Wow... just wow. So it's ok to kill potentially innocent people as long as your family is safe. Great stuff... what a wonderful world.

I would kill Randall. Especially after he told the story about his group. He may be telling the truth about not being like them but then again he may not be and when my family's life is at stake I wouldn't take that chance.

Wow... just wow. So it's ok to kill potentially innocent people as long as your family is safe. Great stuff... what a wonderful world.

Pretty much, yeah.

• Like 1

what a wonderful world.

No, it's not. That's the point.

Yeah. The entire point is that old world standards are dead, and in this new world you have to do whatever it takes to ensure the survival of you and yours. If you think what they're doing/have done in the TV series is jarring, read the books. They're even crazier.

If the end point is "my family is safe" ... I don't give a flying fuck what "it" is.

Congratulations. You just understood the dynamic of the show.

• Like 4

I think because of the attempted execution and torturing, they're really digging themselves deeper. If there was ever a point to convert the guy and let him be a trustworthy member of the farm group, it would have been right after they saved him. Randall pretty much owed Rick his life and could have proved a useful hand on the farm while paying his dues in whatever way in order to gain the trust of others. Dale would have actually been the best to give him that heart-to-heart talk to make sure he was going to make an earnest attempt at being a member of their society. Now, while I think that's what they're going to try and do anyways, there'd always be an aura of uncertainty given what they've put him through.

But while the bar-guys were the seedy types Randall described, everyone who shot at Rick, Glenn and Hershall from the outside pretty much just reacted the same way I bet Shane would have if an outsider admitted to killing a member of your society. Not everyone can be calm, cool and collected and listen to reason about how Rick was drawn upon first, which could have been taken as a lie. And just because Randall was associated with pieces of shit, doesn't make him guilty by association. If that's the rule to follow, Daryl should also be on trial for being connected to Merle. But he's become the most useful character of the group because they kept him at an arm's distance until he earned their trust, and his place in the group

what a wonderful world.

I can say again what got me warned the last time a discussion like this came up... i´ll just rephrase it in a way that hopefully dos not get missunderstood again. - "Some people think like they could just kill everyone in the blink of an eye once a zombie apocalypse happens because they lake human connection, empathy and spend to much time in their room plaing video games (in which trigger happy killing is omnipresent)."

This issent any kind of story spoiler. I just put it in spoilertags because people might be offened. So don´t read wen the last time i talked about this upset you.

No one can "just kill". Being cold blooded is a terrible thing you have to earn in a very hard way, you don´t just go "he might could would maybe do something bad if we let him go" if you never have been in a situation in which something bad actually happens. It´s just a theory. While the person in front of you is real, you know he likely has friends or maybe even family, you know he survived this long just like you did. You know if he has don something bad it was likely just to survive, just like you did. You don´t just dispose someone like that as if he were an old random Toy, you don´t just kill someone like that as if you were in a video game were you just kill your old friend the second he turns Z because it is logically the right thing to do.

As bad as this show is written at some (or many) points that may take you out of the "Drama approach" TWD would put on you if don properly... if you don´t get the idea that there would/should be trouble in such decisions you should seriously think about the connection to the real world...

If this dos get me banned and warned for a week again lets just delete it and pretend i never wrote it... this is how i actually and honestly think about people that jump around screaming "kill kill kill". The worst thing is that i believe these people also lake a understanding of what other real things like for example war mean and support it just as blindly. :-/

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

Noone is doubting that though Matzat. The thing to understand is that by now, in the series, they would have been in this apocalyptic world for....at least 6 months to a year. In that time, they have seen their families killed by necrotic cannibals, death all around them, as well as hordes of zombies everywhere.

The time frame that they're in isn't just "Oh, oops, Apocalypse just hit. Let's kill everyone, I guess". It's been a slow road that has gone from keeping someone like Merle 'alive' as best they could in an infested city to where they are now.

I think because of the attempted execution and torturing, they're really digging themselves deeper. If there was ever a point to convert the guy and let him be a trustworthy member of the farm group, it would have been right after they saved him. Randall pretty much owed Rick his life and could have proved a useful hand on the farm while paying his dues in whatever way in order to gain the trust of others. Dale would have actually been the best to give him that heart-to-heart talk to make sure he was going to make an earnest attempt at being a member of their society. Now, while I think that's what they're going to try and do anyways, there'd always be an aura of uncertainty given what they've put him through.

But while the bar-guys were the seedy types Randall described, everyone who shot at Rick, Glenn and Hershall from the outside pretty much just reacted the same way I bet Shane would have if an outsider admitted to killing a member of your society. Not everyone can be calm, cool and collected and listen to reason about how Rick was drawn upon first, which could have been taken as a lie. And just because Randall was associated with pieces of shit, doesn't make him guilty by association. If that's the rule to follow, Daryl should also be on trial for being connected to Merle. But he's become the most useful character of the group because they kept him at an arm's distance until he earned their trust, and his place in the group

Daryl may have had some questionable ways of thinking but he was always part of the group. Even before Rick so I dont think that point really applies.

There's also the point that the only two characters to have killed anyone are Shane and Rick, experienced cops who more than likely would have shot someone beforehand in the line of duty. Shane's a remorseless psychopath anyway and Rick shot two guys who were armed and prepared to use them, if law was still enforced, he'd have a strong case for justifiable homicide. You're acting like the whole group is like the family out of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Last ep spoilers

Rick then showed that he couldn't shoot a defenceless man and Daryl shooting Dale was a mercy killing.

Noone is doubting that though Matzat. The thing to understand is that by now, in the series, they would have been in this apocalyptic world for....at least 6 months to a year. In that time, they have seen their families killed by necrotic cannibals, death all around them, as well as hordes of zombies everywhere.

The time frame that they're in isn't just "Oh, oops, Apocalypse just hit. Let's kill everyone, I guess". It's been a slow road that has gone from keeping someone like Merle 'alive' as best they could in an infested city to where they are now.

Yes, but they have not been to that we can´t trust no one moment. The moment were they actually get to know that humans are more dangerous than the zombies. - It´s easy to shoot back when a bunch of guys point a gun at you in a bar, it´s not as easy if you preemtively want to kill a kid.

Just as you don´t go into the vavelas of our world and imprison all the children just because it´s very likely that a lot of em might end up in gangs or as drug addicts anyway. (yay my pre justice with only knowing these places from tv shows)

what a wonderful world.

Yeah. The entire point is that old world standards are dead, and in this new world you have to do whatever it takes to ensure the survival of you and yours. If you think what they're doing/have done in the TV series is jarring, read the books. They're even crazier.

But the books also raise the question, "is survival it?"

Whatever the apocalypse turns out to be, whether it's zombies, alien invaders or nuclear annihilation, if life is just a day-to-day "let's keep breathing," then I'm with the comatose chick, we should all just kill ourselves. There has to be something to work toward, a civilization to rebuild, otherwise, we're just squirrels with high-functioning brains, and that's not really a burden I'm willing to bear.

True. If there wasn't any reason - any clearcut goal, other than "keep on keepin' on" - I'd probably check out as well.

I'd have left him to be zombie chow.

If we'd have brought him back, I'd have killed him.

Sara is dead right. You do what it takes to protect your family.

And not just in a zombie-themed-world. In the real world too. I'd do anything to project my family.

• Like 1

I would have just left him on the fence. So while the Walkers were preoccupied with eating him I'd make my escape.

If I would have brought him back I wouldn't trust him. It's like Scott Ian said on the Talking Dead, the guys Benjamin Linus.

Edited by Don Ready Slacker