College Football 2009 Season thread~!

ROC

As a Hawkeye myself, I would just like to say...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (Etc etc etc)

We here at Iowa were subsisting on the tears and shattered dreams of our opponents and their fans this season...but alas, no more.

RIcky Stanzi's injury was I guess a much bigger blow than I thought it would be.

As a Hawkeye myself, I would just like to say...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu (Etc etc etc)

We here at Iowa were subsisting on the tears and shattered dreams of our opponents and their fans this season...but alas, no more.

RIcky Stanzi's injury was I guess a much bigger blow than I thought it would be.

You guys are thin all over the offense, that's why this was such a "surprise" .... but yeah next week could be really ugly

I was wrong about the early turnovers in the Bama/LSU game.

Still, it's been a contest with a fair amount of sloppy QB play. Looks like it will be another close one between two fan-dabi-dozi defensive teams...

The SEC is the best conference in college football

Oregon @ Stanford [after last week nobody will give the fighting Trees a chance ... but Oregon had better show up]

:) WOOOOOO GO TREES !

OSU @ PennST [a second loss for Penn St would be perfect as the buckeyes already have 2]

aaaahhhh, beautiful. Thank you fuckeyes. Now, all we need is for Iowa to somehow win at the shoe.

Uh yeah, I think that was an interception as well. Still, 'Bama ground it out when LSU had a chane to break away.

Also, GO NAVY !

Now, all we need is for Iowa to somehow win at the shoe.

Also, GO NAVY !

No, just no. The Big Ten doesn't need to take any more of a hit. OSU needs to win cause Iowa will get murdered in any BCS bowl.

Oh and GO NAVY! I am hoping for a Lou meltdown tonight

Now, all we need is for Iowa to somehow win at the shoe.

Also, GO NAVY !

No, just no. The Big Ten doesn't need to take any more of a hit. OSU needs to win cause Iowa will get murdered in any BCS bowl.

Oh and GO NAVY! I am hoping for a Lou meltdown tonight

Yes, just yes. One loss Iowa winning the Big Ten is fantabulous for my plan. 2 loss everybody else in the Big Ten is what we need (Y)

Lou handled himself very well but as usual it was Mark May's dumb fucking ass. Seriously who the fuck let him on TV ? There's ten of us that post on here that are better than that douche.

Yeah, saw the play with Best when it happened. Not good at all. Sending some prayers his way.

I'll be honest, I thought LSU got that pick too. We were damned lucky it was ruled incomplete initially, because I don't think it would've been overturned either way. You know, it's a bit of an odd feeling when you know someone got screwed, and it ended up helping you..and this so soon after the SEC Official team that got suspended..how much you want to bet those judges will be investigated?

I've no love lost for LSU, but I can certainly understand any of the fans or players being angry after that, very rough day for them. The injury list just kept on piling up. It almost seemed like everytime they got momentum, someone needed to be helped off the field. And then that play..especially considering the guy that got screwed was the same one that came back from injury three times in that game..gotta feel for them.

Honestly, though, with a backup QB, I don't think they would've driven for 60 yards in a handful of minutes on us anyway, so I'm still pleased with the win.

1 Florida 9-0

2 Alabama 9-0

3 Texas 9-0

4 TCU 9-0

5 Cincinnati 9-0

6 Boise State 9-0

7 Georgia Tech 9-1

8 LSU 7-2

9 USC 7-2

10 Iowa 9-1

11 Ohio State 8-2

12 Pittsburgh 8-1

13 Oregon 7-2

14 Miami (FL) 7-2

15 Houston 8-1

16 Utah 8-1

That's the top 16 of the BCS. One of the top three IS going to lose. Texas has 4 more games to go. Cincy still has to play Pitt.

Things could get really ugly for the BCS here in the last month of the season. What happens if Cincy and GT both lose ? Pitt beats Cincy and GT loses in the ACC title game ? Or what if Duke manages to pull the upset ? Either way, GT isn't going to take away anything from the NON BCS guys. They could however, end up a scheduling nightmare when you start messing with all of these 2 loss teams that are popping up.

Speaking of. What do you do if OSU beats Iowa ? You've got the three best teams in the Big 10 with two losses. You really going to say that either of the other two (non champ) are good enough for an at large ?

The Pac10 is a freaking mess. As it stands your conference leader isn't even the highest BCS rated team ... what ? Oh, and said conference champion absolutely raped the team that's ahead of them. Explain that.

The Big12 looks like the ACC last year. Everyone bowl eligible but only one team that's better than "a good team." Texas is holding it down and will go to the NT game if they don't fall asleep in the last month. No one else is going to go.

And the Big East. Media is already talking about how your champion is 'mid-major' and that your conference isn't really up to scale in terms of the BCS (even though you own the SEC and the bowl games the last few years, but whatever). Cincy going undefeated won't land them in the NT game BUT it will give the other really good team (pitt) a second loss.

The SEC is two teams this year. One is going to lose. Say what you want about the SEC (and a agree with a lot of it, but not all) but this could finally be the year that a one loss SEC team doesn't merit inclusion over two, proven, non BCS schools. Especially if it's UF that wins out .... anyone remember last year with 'Bama VS Utah ?

Just saying. This year is shaping up to be an absolute nightmare for the BCS.

EDIT - oh, and that's not even getting into Houston slipping into things depending on how the Big10/Pac10/ACC races go.

Edited by HailtotheKing

The SEC is two teams this year. One is going to lose. Say what you want about the SEC (and a agree with a lot of it, but not all) but this could finally be the year that a one loss SEC team doesn't merit inclusion over two, proven, non BCS schools. Especially if it's UF that wins out .... anyone remember last year with 'Bama VS Utah ?

I'd love to see it, but I still can't buy it. Whoever loses the SEC Championship game is still getting an at-large, especially after Oregon screwed up their stock with the Stanford loss. Now, that win doesn't look nearly as impressive for Boise.

If Oregon had continued steamrolling people, it would have helped Boise immensely, but I can't help but think that either UF or Bama, who have been together in the Top 5 all season, will get at-larges no matter who comes to crash the party.

I do think TCU, with a win over Utah, will have their ticket punched already, barring Texas pissing all over themselves in the Big XII title game.

Things could get really ugly for the BCS here in the last month of the season. What happens if Cincy and GT both lose ? Pitt beats Cincy and GT loses in the ACC title game ? Or what if Duke manages to pull the upset ? Either way, GT isn't going to take away anything from the NON BCS guys. They could however, end up a scheduling nightmare when you start messing with all of these 2 loss teams that are popping up.

Speaking of. What do you do if OSU beats Iowa ? You've got the three best teams in the Big 10 with two losses. You really going to say that either of the other two (non champ) are good enough for an at large ?

The Pac10 is a freaking mess. As it stands your conference leader isn't even the highest BCS rated team ... what ? Oh, and said conference champion absolutely raped the team that's ahead of them. Explain that.

The Big12 looks like the ACC last year. Everyone bowl eligible but only one team that's better than "a good team." Texas is holding it down and will go to the NT game if they don't fall asleep in the last month. No one else is going to go.

And the Big East. Media is already talking about how your champion is 'mid-major' and that your conference isn't really up to scale in terms of the BCS (even though you own the SEC and the bowl games the last few years, but whatever). Cincy going undefeated won't land them in the NT game BUT it will give the other really good team (pitt) a second loss.

Just saying. This year is shaping up to be an absolute nightmare for the BCS.

EDIT - oh, and that's not even getting into Houston slipping into things depending on how the Big10/Pac10/ACC races go.

I really doubt that anyone other than the ACC Champ will get in the BCS, so if Duke somehow pulls out the upset, tough luck GT.

There is no way in hell Iowa is beating OSU this week in the Horseshoe. Unlike when they played Penn St., Iowa will be facing a healthy defense. Pryor will have to implode for tOSU to lose. As for the BCS, the only team going out the Big 10 is the conference champ.

The polls are stupid, end of story. It should be Oregon > USC > tOSU, but it's the exact opposite. Why is there a coaches poll in the first place, I don't know, cause they only watch so "many" games.

I don't hear anyone saying Cincy is "mid-major" at all. If anything, the media is creaming in their pants everytime they mention their offense. If Texas does slip, I can see a slight chance Cincy goes to the title game, a little better than TCU given that Cincy has 2 ranked teams left to play, and a way better chance than Bosie.

If fact, Bosie won't play for a NT unless everyone loses, then it will take a miricle. If TCU loses this week, their done. If Texas and Cincy both lose on Dec. 5th, then I will find it hard to believe that we won't see Florida/Alabama II in Cali unless Florida or Alabama slips up before Atlanta, then whoever lost wins that game.

Again, Alabama is a shoo-in for the BCS unless they implode down the stretch. Boise, again, has only beaten Oregon, and struggle with a lot of teams they should have beaten easily. With the small margin of error mid-majors have, they need every style point they can get.

This is how I see the BCS shaping out (just teams, I'm not going into the bowls with so many ways it can play out)

Florida

Alabama

Texas (If they let a Big XII North team beat them, shame on them)

TCU

Cincy/Pitt winner

tOSU

USC/Oregon (As much as I don't want it to happen, I am not sure Oregon will be able to hold Quizz or beat Arizona, opening the door for USC AGAIN)

GT/Clemson (If Duke wins, I will be stunned and cry tears of joy)

Bosie

LSU (best 2-loss team in my opinion, but they have to win out, can easily be replaced by Cincy though if their only loss is to Pitt)

This is barring everyone imploding or just Texas imploding

First of all, 3 SEC teams CAN'T go BCS bowling. Only two teams from any conference can make a BCS bowl. The only way for a third team to get in, is if they are the conference champion BUT are ranked behind BCS #1/#2 ... so yeah, not happening.

Cincy being referred to as "mid-major" is in the talks of the National Title game. Mark May himself (I hope he dies) is where I'm quoting that from. He lumped them right in with Boise/TCU. Simple fact, is that the Big East champion is an afterthought for NC discussion. That's where it's coming from.

I've looked over the BCS Bowls and the current rankings. I can only count 7 of the 10 spots filled before getting into the BCS stretching a little.

(based on current conference standings)

Friday, January 1, 2010 - Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi: Pac 10 Champion(oregon)/BCS selection vs. Big Ten Champion(iowa)/BCS selection.

Friday January 1, 2010 - Allstate Sugar Bowl: SEC champion(florida)/BCS selection vs. ???

Monday, January 4 - Tostitos Fiesta Bowl: Big 12 champion or ???/BCS selection vs. ???? (TCU) non-aq conference slot

Tuesday, January 5 -FedEx Orange Bowl: ACC champion(GT)/BCS selection vs. BCS selection/Big East Champion(Cincy)

Thursday, January 7 - Citi 2010 BCS National Championship Game (at the Rose Bowl): BCS #1(Bama) vs. BCS #2(Texas)

So there are three open slots. TCU as it stands will get one of them. So now you have to get into a 2 (or more) loss Big Ten team, 2 (or more) loss Pac 10 team taking a slot that Boise should get.

Best cast scenario for the BCS, is if Cincy/Pitt end up with one loss each, and Texas somehow loses the Big 12 title game. That'll give them enough teams to bump Boise from an at large slot. With Texas being the defacto opponent for the SEC winner though, there's nobody in the Big 12 to take that second slot. As it stands, the second best team is OkSt ... who lost to HOUSTON.

So you've got two slots and Boise St VS a whole bunch of 2-3 loss teams fighting for them. Yeah, the BCS is really going to have a shit storm on it's hand.

I'm not getting into whether I'm for or against the BCS, because I don't have the time or energy to get into that at this time. But I can't be the only one that misses January 1st being the be-all-end-all of college football, can I? I use to love watching all four of the major bowls on New Year's Day. That was always better than Christmas to me. I hate that they drag it out through the first week of January. Maybe that's just me, though.