College Football 2009 Season thread~!

ROC

I still Florida should be ranked 4th. Other than Tennessee and Arkansas they really haven't faced anybody. LSU was over rated as hell.

Nice to see my Canes in there..hopefully we can win out in the ACC and Virgina Tech will drop another game this year. Virginia is undefated in conference play but they'll lose with in the next few weeks.

I'd put Alabama over Florida - and I hate `Bama - simply because the Gators didn't beat Arkansas as much as the refs helped them beat Arkansas.

Won't be watching the Alabama-Tennessee game, because even if Crompton plays like he did against Georgia (who should really consider replacing their defensive coordinator), the Vols are still going to get beaten. I'm predicting they lose by at least 21.

Edited by GhostMachine

and (just like Florida), Texas seems to only be there based on reputation and pre-season hype. They haven't really done anything thus far, in my opinion, to put them in the top 3.

Who has ? Up until this last week (and now going forward) the vast majority of teams "haven't really done anything" .... The entire process up until now is based on pre-season hype and reputation. Those are the exact two things that determine the pre-season rankings (and thusly the top 25 for the first 7 weeks).

It's the BCS that takes into account THIS SEASON.

My Top 6: :shifty:

Alabama

Florida

Cincinnati

Texas

Iowa

Boise St.

Cincinnati beat Rutgers, Oregon State, and South Florida all on the road. Texas survived against a solid OU team, Iowa would go ahead if they didn't struggle against random nobodies. Boise just hasn't played anyone outside of Oregon. Again, only can play who they have on their schedule... but they are in good position anyhow. Every team ahead of them have significant tasks that wait for them.

Edited by ACCBiggz

The same Boise that got rolled by Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl, along with Oregon State the same year ?

Or the same Boise that took down the Pac 10 leading Oregon Ducks earlier this year, and last year ?

I sense some bitterness.

Boise has been beating teams with pulses for quite a while now. As for BYU, I'm not submitting them for anything except to help out TCU. As long as BYU doesn't lose the rest of the way except for against TCU, it helps the Horned Frogs seeing as how they beat Oklahoma.

I meant to respond to this earlier, but fuck if I can be assed to post off my phone all the time.

I have no bitterness. I have nothing against Boise St, well, except for the fact that, if forced to choose, I like the Vandals better. I'd just like for a team 'in the national championship hunt' to a better resume than 'well, we beat a pretty good Oregon team at home... and then... umm... Fresno?'. If there was a playoff, than I'd have no issue with them being in, with a chance to prove they deserve what they win. However, the way things are set up now, one solid win isn't enough for me to say they deserve a shot. If they played in the Mountain West, I'd feel a lot better about it, because they'd have to go through TCU, BYU, and Utah to get there, but the WAC just isn't good enough.

People bitch about Florida and Texas' OOC scheduling, myself included, but, outside of that Oregon game... Boise's entire schedule looks like that. Last year Utah beat TCU, BYU, and went to Michigan and got a nice win (not a great win, but the winged helmet still means something). Boise's schedule doesn't even come close to that. I highly doubt their ability to win week in and week out in a BCS conference. I think they'd be competitive, but they'd be more Oregon St. than USC.

So this is what it must have felt like to be a Notre Dame fan. FSU is downright terrible.

Now, don't screw the pooch TCU

Game is a lose/lose for TCU. Lose and you are screwed, win close and it's going to be mentioned how FSU dismantled BYU in Provo, win big and it's what you should have done if you truly are a top team.

I don't see it that way.

National spotlight against a team that had the national spotlight earlier in the year and used it to beat Oklahoma. Sure, Oklahoma has 3 losses and aren't the Sooners we all know and love/hate ... but it's still Oklahoma, and BYU isn't supposed to beat them, period. That happened. BYU has always been regarded as a good team. Going to Provo and beating them, regardless of how it's done, is a good thing.

EDIT - uh yeah, FSU fucking blows. I honestly feel I could walk out there and do as good of a job as they are at this point. The can't even execute a fucking swing pass. Holy shit.

Edited by HailtotheKing

After FSU blew out BYU at home the Oklahoma win (even less of a win because Bradford was injured during it, truthfully in eyes of most) means nothing. Especially with how FSU played following the win over BYU. TCU did get a boost with FSU pulling out a win tonight to make it look somewhat better, but they need to win and win convincingly to make it worthwhile to discuss.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Florida coach Urban Meyer thinks the Southeastern Conference was right to suspend an officiating crew after its second controversial call of the year.

Referee Marc Curles’ crew called a personal foul on Arkansas defensive lineman Malcolm Sheppard in the fourth quarter as the Gators were rallying for a 23-20 victory last weekend. The league said there was no video evidence to support the call.

The same group of officials called the LSU-Georgia game earlier this month, which included a late unsportsmanlike conduct penalty the league said shouldn’t have been called.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive said Wednesday the crew would be pulled from its next scheduled assignment Oct. 31 and won’t work again until Nov. 14. Bowl assignments could also be impacted.

“If that’s the right thing to do, then they did it,” Meyer said Thursday. “I don’t know all the ins and outs … (but) I have great confidence in the head dog.”

Slive said the entire crew shoulders responsibility for each play, and said the suspension was necessary to maintain accountability among officials.

“Our institutions expect the highest level of officiating in all of our sports and it is the duty of the conference office to uphold that expectation,” he said.

SEC associate commissioner Charles Bloom said it is the first time the league has publicly suspended a football crew in this type of situation, the only decision that Meyer questioned.

“Why would you do that?” he said. “I don’t understand that part.”

Also on Thursday, the league said it had reprimanded Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino for publicly criticizing the officials.

Crap like this makes me think the NCAA - or conferences - should be able to strip wins when refs pull crap like that, because those refs handed Florida that win and pretty much set up LSU's win over Georgia (I don't think Georgia would have lost if not for that bs penalty). Just punishing the refs and letting their errors stand doesn't seem right.

After FSU blew out BYU at home the Oklahoma win (even less of a win because Bradford was injured during it, truthfully in eyes of most) means nothing. Especially with how FSU played following the win over BYU. TCU did get a boost with FSU pulling out a win tonight to make it look somewhat better, but they need to win and win convincingly to make it worthwhile to discuss.

Again, opinion and ours just differ. I whole heartedly admit I'm a bit "in favor" of TCU.

Also, did you even hear what Jesse Palmer (my God I never thought I'd do this) was saying about it last night ? When he and Craig James hyped up Gameday and the game itself they masterbated all over BYU, how tough it was to win in Provo, and the fact that they beat what is still a very good Oklahoma team. They took 2 seconds to mention everything else (injury, FSU blowing them out, etc) but spent the rest of the time trying to get across just how good both TCU and BYU were/are. Palmer then went on to praise FSU for "what they're capable of" and how they're "still a very dangerous team regardless." FSU is an enigma this year. Against BYU/last night they showed what they "could" do ... that simple fact is keeping BYU from getting raped for their loss to them.

Yeah, some of that was selling the program and the game. Got it, I'm not stupid. But when Jesse/Craig got out of the "promo" and started talking about it, they weren't even thinking about BYU's loss to FSU. They certainly didn't hold it against them. They did however, load up on them for beating Oklahoma despite Oklahoma's performance this year.

That's the point I'm making. All but the most cynical/against non BCSers (read: mark may) aren't gutting BYU for that loss, but rather are giving them praise for their reputation and beating Oklahoma this year. They're also spreading rep for TCU's recent history and current status as a very good team year in and year out.

That IS what's happening.

GhostMachine - Completely agree that there's got to be something other than "oh well you suck, no soup for you" in regards to the refs. I can't however, agree to outright stripping wins/etc. The problem with it is that while the calls without a doubt, DID effect the outcome of the game ... you CANNOT with fact, state what the outcome would have been. That's the problem. While you can say that "X call" did "X" to the game, you can't say what the play on the field would have been after said call.

I would however, be up for a yankees/royals "pine tar" type of re-finish to the game :shifty:

I'm going to go ahead and award the LOL of the week to Texas Tech.

Two weeks ago they blew KState off the map by 50+ pts.

Last week KState blew A&M off the map by 50+ points.

Tonight Texas Tech lost to A&M by 22 getting outscored 45-16 over the final three quarters. LOL ... oh man I love CFB.

I have to say though, that Miami was a close LOL of the week runner up for the fail against Clemson.

Also, STATEMENT by TCU tonight ! That was fanfuckingtastic. Miami's loss helps them a bunch.

After hating on Iowa all season I've decided that I now want them to go undefeated. Once they go undefeated they will got to a BCS and they will get murdered and then all of their bat shit crazy fans will realize that they are an embarrassingly lucky team. I can only hope for an Iowa/USC Rose Bowl so that Iowa can feel the sting of a 60something to 20something loss. I realize that I am just a bitter Big 10 fan, but Iowa are fucking awful, maybe the worst Big 10 team to go undefeated this late in the season.

Why, because they went on the road and won against Michigan State who are a VERY solid team? I don't understand the logic. If that's the case call Alabam horrible too because they had to block a kick to beat Tennessee.

Bottom line, you don't get consistently lucky. Their close calls to ASU and the other lower level team are interesting, but they stepped up on the road against tough teams. Just because MSU isn't ranked, doesn't make them bad. Losses by 2, 3, 8, and now 2 again - all against quality opponents (Dan LeFavour is no joke). Iowa State beating Nebraska sort of helps them a tiny tiny bit as well - Iowa has won road games in Iowa City, Happy Valley, Madison, and now East Lansing. Not to mention Iowa still has to go TO Columbus to play, and if they win that too - wow.

Meanwhile you meantion USC who is getting another media blowjob. They lost to Washington, struggled at home against Oregon State. Meanwhile, Cincinnati went on the road to Oregon State and beat them easily. And UC has other road wins at Rutgers and South Florida. USC is a good team, don't get me wrong, but saying they would dominate Iowa when USC has struggled against quality teams themselves so far this year is a bit miffing.

Why, because they went on the road and won against Michigan State who are a VERY solid team? I don't understand the logic. If that's the case call Alabam horrible too because they had to block a kick to beat Tennessee.

Bottom line, you don't get consistently lucky. Their close calls to ASU and the other lower level team are interesting, but they stepped up on the road against tough teams. Just because MSU isn't ranked, doesn't make them bad. Losses by 2, 3, 8, and now 2 again - all against quality opponents (Dan LeFavour is no joke). Iowa State beating Nebraska sort of helps them a tiny tiny bit as well - Iowa has won road games in Iowa City, Happy Valley, Madison, and now East Lansing. Not to mention Iowa still has to go TO Columbus to play, and if they win that too - wow.

Meanwhile you meantion USC who is getting another media blowjob. They lost to Washington, struggled at home against Oregon State. Meanwhile, Cincinnati went on the road to Oregon State and beat them easily. And UC has other road wins at Rutgers and South Florida. USC is a good team, don't get me wrong, but saying they would dominate Iowa when USC has struggled against quality teams themselves so far this year is a bit miffing.

I only mentioned USC because they've been the ones doing the smacking of Big 10 teams recently. I don't like USC particularly either, but they've been the ones crushing us lately. The fact is they were a terrible kicker away from losing to an FCS team and they've struggled in several others. My criticism is not at MSU but more at the UNI games and Ark St. Not to mention their fans are incredible. They celebrated like they won the national title when they survived UNI, they rushed the field when they beat Michigan despite be ranked and favored, and they left it to the last play of the game to beat Michigan State. They are not that good and have beaten no one of note besides Penn State. Michigan has only beaten Notre Dame and my Wisconsin has beaten nobody. The Big 10 feels like it is down even more than it has been in previous years and people are talking like Iowa is the greatest team ever. I pray they beat OSU, though I think they'll get smacked because like I said earlier, I want to see them come back down to Earth as hard as they possibly can in the BCS.

I only mentioned USC because they've been the ones doing the smacking of Big 10 teams recently.

Every year is different. Plus there is a full month before Rose Bowl regardless of who ends up there for gameplanning and other bits and peices which causes some discrepancy in outcomes (upsets, blowouts, etc.).

They celebrated like they won the national title when they survived UNI, they rushed the field when they beat Michigan despite be ranked and favored

1. They live in Iowa. :shifty:

2. With both games you have to realise they survived close games and fans are stupid. With Michigan when was the last time they beat them? I honestly don't know, but probably don't have a great record against them. So it's still unique and means something to them.

and they left it to the last play of the game to beat Michigan State. They are not that good and have beaten no one of note besides Penn State. Michigan has only beaten Notre Dame and my Wisconsin has beaten nobody.

MSU is a good football team, you have to win close games sometimes. They showed toughness and came out and won in the final play. Penn State is quality, and Michigan are a solid team. You say they have beaten no one of note... I'm sorry, Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin all have some note with them.

I can only just based on what is on the field, and winning all the games, big road wins - I have them #4. Although I'll say Cincinnati can jump them by winning out with PITT and WVU games coming up. And I think Iowa loses in Columbus anyway.

Regarding my comments about stripping wins due to bad officiating, I meant if the bad calls blatantly do affect the outcome of the game. For instance, a team is losing by 3 pts or less, has the ball with almost no time left and has no timeouts, and the refs put them in field goal range with a bad call on the defense. Or gives a team a game winning TD they didn't get. Examples: 1. Florida winning a game against the Vols back in the `90s when the ball bounced off Jabar Gaffney's chest with a few seconds left and it was ruled a TD - the ref who called it even admitted he fucked up about an hour after the game when he saw a replay. 2. There was a conference game back in the 90's (Missouri vs. Colorado, I believe) that ended with the winning team scoring on a 5th Down (no calling a 1st Down they didn't get; everyone just forgot what Down it actually was, so you can blame that on the losing team as well as the refs)

I don't think bad officiating alone is enough to justify overturning a win; just if its blatant (which is almost impossible to prove) or affects the end of the game. The end of the Georgia-LSU game is iffy; LSU may very well have won regardless of the penalty, but frankly I doubt it. Arkansas, however, got screwed.

Oh, and I guess the game against the Vols shows that `Bama is overrated. If the Vols didn't have a bad kicker and QB, they'd have won.