College Football 2009 Season thread~!

ROC

Seriously ? Who in the hell overrated Tennessee ? UGA definately, but Tennessee ? Not a chance.

And sorry, the state of Florida has the market on speed cornered.

right now we've got three LOL's of the week nominated:

OK ST

Colorado

Michigan St

There are a handful that are finishing here soon that could make that list.

The only person overrating Tennessee was Lane Kiffin, and he's probably the main reason most fans and media will take delight in seeing UT get kicked in the teeth at every opportunity.

UCLA's quarterback tried his damndest to give that game away, but Jonathan Crompton was superior at sucking.

I'll call it here: Florida 44, Tennessee 11.

The only person overrating Tennessee was Lane Kiffin, and he's probably the main reason most fans and media will take delight in seeing UT get kicked in the teeth at every opportunity.

UCLA's quarterback tried his damndest to give that game away, but Jonathan Crompton was superior at sucking.

I'll call it here: Florida 44, Tennessee 11.

Dude, I'm in Knoxville and a Tennessee fan, and before the UCLA game was even over with, I predicted something more like Florida 54, Tennessee 3.

I usually hate seeing players get injured, and haven't ever really wished it on someone, but if Kiffin doesn't yank Crompton out of the starting spot, I hope Crompton's throwing arm gets snapped in 3 places. I can't figure out how the hell they justify letting him start - he's easily the worst UT quarterback I've ever seen, and quite possibly the worst college QB I've ever seen as well. Thank god the motherfucker is a senior! There needs to be some investigation into why Crompton is even on the roster, let alone starting. He's worse than Rex Grossman was in the NFL, and that my friends is pretty gd bad!

*edit, because I didn't read DMN's post on this page until after I made this one* DMN, the SEC usually is superior. Its just that the Vols are in the toilet and Florida is pretty much dominating the conference. California speed, my ass. UCLA only won because the Vols have a QB who shouldn't even be playing, let alone starting. UCLA should be thanking Crompton for giving them a gift, if anything. And why Kiffin didn't put Stephens in the last quarter is beyond me.

Edited by GhostMachine

Make excuses all you want, but all I heard all week was how Tenn was up for this game, and looking for revenge. This is a UCLA team coming off a dismal season, in a hostile enviroment, and its a big win. You can blame it on Crompton if you want, and I didn't see the whole game, but the UCLA secondary is legit.

First two games of this week look to be really good (Y)

It'll be fun to see if the Freshman WR from Toledo can keep up his pace against Ohio St.

I think East Carolina can continue their upset bug and beat NC.

Maryland needs to get it's head on or MDTST can beat them.

Virginia has to go to S Miss ... that could be very bad.

Zona at Iowa ... if the cats win, is it really an upset ?

Fun game of the week = UConn at Baylor

Navy @ Pitt ... interesting, and potential pitfall.

UGA @ ARK ... UGA has to beat them soundly, but I would not be surprised if the Razorbacks get it done.

Cincy @ OrgST ... a very nice match up.

Nice slate of games.

Dear Sean Canfield...

When you throw, you are supposed to pass it to the guys in the black jerseys, not the ones in white that say Cincinnati on them.

And also: when you run, you're supposed to go in a forward direction or pass the ball to a guy in a black jersey. And not take a bunch of sacks losing 7-8 yards a pop.

Thank you FSU :)

and uh, some freaking great games this week.

VT/Neb slugfest, LOL USC, Jahved Best is fucking class, fuck the retarded blind ass ref in the NC/ECU game that called a late hit penalty when the guy was BLOCKED INTO THE MAN right in his fucking face that turned that game around, Purdue sucks, holy shit Colorado won (conversly I feel really bad for Wyoming), I told you about Maryland and Virginia.

Indeed pre-season rankings are kind of retarded but I don't think they're the biggest problem in the NCAA. I mean seriously, is there any doubt that OU w/Bradford is one of the top 5 teams in the country ? BYU beating them merits a "high ranking" ... however, FSU isn't exactly in the same breath as other "unranked opponents." The entire way of thinking about it is retarded. I mean, they do serve some kind of purpose but their valuation is what's off.

Well, Florida didn't cover the spread (and I can't believe Crompton only threw two interceptions, but he made up for that by throwing plenty of bad passes), so I wonder where they'll be when the new rankings come out. The Vols not only didn't get slaughtered, but they also broke Tebow's streak of games with a TD pass.

I can't wait to see who the coaches blame this week for the loss, because it won't be Crompton - I swear that motherfucker either made a deal with the devil, he's somehow connected (related to someone high up in the school, not mafia) or someone is either paying the school a shit ton of money or blackmailing the school into letting him start. Last week they blamed Gerald Jones for the loss to UCLA because he didn't catch a pass late in the game that sealed their loss. Nevermind the fact that if Crompton hadn't thrown 3 or 4 interceptions in the game that drive where Jones didn't catch the pass wouldn't have been necessary.

The Vols have a damn good defense - too bad they've got a starting QB who shouldn't even be playing, let alone starting. They showed Crompton's stats before the game, and let me ask you this: If you were a head coach, would you have let a guy who has 14 career TDs AND interceptions, a pass completion rating just over 52%, and has been sacked 20 times (Crompton never runs when he should scramble to avoid being hit) play, let alone start?!

If the Vols had a QB who doesn't suck, we might have actually beaten UCLA AND Florida. Problem is, I'm not so sure that Nick Stephens, the team's only other QB since they ran off BJ Coleman, who should have been starter, would be much of an improvement over Crompton.

On one of the college football shows one of the commentators was predicting a game (I forget which one) as his upset special for the day. I said the Florida-UT game would be an upset special.....after the game Vols fans would be upset, and our QB is `special'. :lol:

Indeed pre-season rankings are kind of retarded but I don't think they're the biggest problem in the NCAA. I mean seriously, is there any doubt that OU w/Bradford is one of the top 5 teams in the country ? BYU beating them merits a "high ranking" ... however, FSU isn't exactly in the same breath as other "unranked opponents." The entire way of thinking about it is retarded. I mean, they do serve some kind of purpose but their valuation is what's off.

My point is it sets a point of bias because most of the projections are taken off of last year. Also, teams who aren't ranked (ie. Miami) fight an up hill battle and then teams that lose still are ranked higher. Wait until week 8, be objective, and you'll be able to put together a lot better list of where everyone is.

Biggz, I pretty much agree with you, but I'd say week 6, since its the midpoint of the season.

After this season, I think the BCS needs to be looked at and possibly be reworked; something needs to be done to penalize nationally ranked teams for having powderpuff teams on their schedule. Look at Florida, for example; they started off their season playing two joke teams and were still ranked #1 after those games and play another laughable team in their next to last game of the season. I don't think a team who has powderpuff opponents for 1/4 of their schedule should be eligible to play for the national championship. And I'm not just saying that because its Florida; I'd be saying that no matter what team it is, even the Vols. (I can see having one powerpuff team on your schedule - provided its your season opener or homecoming - and it not killing you in the rankings, but when you've got jobber teams for a chunk of your schedule, you shouldn't be a national championship contender)

P.S. DMN, how `bout them Huskies?

Edited by GhostMachine

Biggzy I'm not exactly disagreeing with you. I certainly feel that the pre-season ranking system skews things horridly, and in favor of the power programs (or those with rep). The flipside of that though, is that they're there for a reason. More often than not, they're the ones that end up there. So why then, shouldn't they start the season at the start of the pack ? I mean 9 times out of 10 they're that good.

We (my friends, fellow team mates) and I have had this discussion going back the better part of a decade now. What we've found is that the problem lies MORE in the fact that the pollsters refuse to admit being wrong (ie - dropping teams). Sure, they'll let a TCU slide in and settle at 12/15, but they'll keep 6-3 Florida around because that one win against 5-1 Georgia shows that they really are that good. They won't give the admission to the schools that have now shown they merit the same "pre season ranking" as the historical "big boys." I mean, TCU/BYU/Utah/Boise St have all been consistant enough to be top 15 teams in pre-season rankings. They've all finished in that range for several years now (and even higher here in the last 3). Were their names Ohio St, Florida, or Texas ... there'd be no issue with them being 1-10 to start out.

I think FSU is the prime example of this. They were top 25 to start the season. They lose the first game (a slugfest they could/should have won) to Miami (who we see is going to end up as a very good team). They barely beat a 1-AA school (QB'd by Ryan Perriloux by the way) but then turn around and totally lambaste BYU, who beat Oklahoma. So yeah, they are that good. But, we all know what happens during the course of the season, with young players, etc.

I think we need one of two things.

1 - Continue with the pre-season rankings but use them as a gauge rather than giving them actual merit. What I mean, is that schools such as BYU should get all the credit for putting OU/FSU on the schedule. Sure, that season OU/FSU could end up either top 5 or stinkers. However, the fact remains that more often than not these two schools are as good as there is. BYU should get all the credit for playing them and/or beating them. This is where pre-season rankings are good. I don't think it's right to take that away from schools like BYU, ESPECIALLY when at the moment it's their only real shot at betting into a BCS bowl, or the national title game. As long as the system is the way it is, this measure cannot be taken away from the BYU's of the world.

SO

2 - Decide on a week for the rankings to become "official" ... I think the initial BCS rankings are a bit too late in the season so I think that the actual half way point of the season (by date) is the best way to go. Take the pre-season rankings, take what's happened in the seaons, and come up with the first "official" rankings of the season. You give the BYU's their credit, and in turn you can judge performance and see whether the OU's are playing like themselves, and if the BYU's are actually strong, or played out of their minds for that one game.

Miami jumps into the top ten in the rankings this week...After being dropped from the top 25 FSU beats BYU and is now 18th.

Anybody feel that Miami could might be able to go undefeated and play Florida for a national championship? It could happen. Florida are pussies because they don't want to play us but once every four years. Its bull shit.

Anybody feel that Miami could might be able to go undefeated and play Florida for a national championship? It could happen.

I personally do not, but they have a chance if they can win the next two games... oh yeah, and those games are:

@Virginia Tech

Oklahoma

And then potentially a re-match with Florida State (if they so happen to keep up this performance).

VT/Neb slugfest, LOL USC, Jahved Best is fucking class, fuck the retarded blind ass ref in the NC/ECU game that called a late hit penalty when the guy was BLOCKED INTO THE MAN right in his fucking face that turned that game around, Purdue sucks, holy shit Colorado won (conversly I feel really bad for Wyoming), I told you about Maryland and Virginia.

You just have to rub it in, don't you? Dick. :P

But yes, Jahvid Best is a monster...at least one of my preseason Heisman Top 5 is operating effectively.