College Football 2009 Season thread~!

ROC

*ahem*

And Biggz, know some shit before you start talking it because Chip Kelly was the Offensive Coordinator for Oregon the past 2 years before taking over as Head Coach this season so the system isn't new.

I knew that, and regardless, it's still a new system. A "system" isn't just an offense. It's off-season, practices, etc. No two coaches are the same. Which if you read what I wrote, or had a little better reading comprehension, you would note that I pointed out his offense is still in play, obviously.

And I too was responding to your gross overreaction of "they shouldn't be in D-1". It would probably also serve you well to not attack someone in that crass manner when others haven't done the same. We disagreed, yes, but we didn't act like a dick either. Then again, that could just be you.

First of all, this isn't the offseason anymore so him having a different offseason program isn't that relevant when it comes to the fact that the offense they're running on the field is the same one they ran last year and they were horrible. Sure the preparation might be different on a whole but I'm sure that his offensive preparation is similar to what is was while he was the coordinator. There's absolutely no reason you can excuse Oregon's offensive play last night because regardless of new coach or not, you still don't not get a first down until midway through the 3rd quarter, that's just inexcusable for an offense to be that inept, especially one that's supposed to be as high powered as Oregon's.

And my gross overreaction? Are you fucking serious? Again, it was a hyperbolic statement because of how bad their offense played but apparently that's beyond your comprehension. Should I explain to you what a hyperbole is? Because it sure seems like you don't know what it means if you class what I said as a "gross overreaction" and not take it as what it was, a statement driving the point that it was more Oregon's failure to move the ball offensively than it was Boise State's showing up.

And I think the best part about all of this is that you really don't think you come across as a prick in almost anything you post about sports. You act like you know everything, when in reality, you don't know anything more than anybody else here. But keep riding your high horse and acting as if you don't ever act like a prick to people.

Funny that you told Biggz to know some shit. Irony.

Do you actually know what is involved in an entire football program ? Biggz touched on quite a bit of it. You however, seem to assume that simply because the guy was there already his transition to HC is just kind of cerimonious at best. Absolutely not. While he was OC, his offense still had to fall under Belottie's philosophy. He was in charge of nothing really. Everything he did was checked off and approved before. Now, it's all him. Those are two entirely different monsters. I'm guessing you missed the Oregon players (and other coaches) looking at him like he was crazy, yelling at some of his play calls, and generally wondering WTF he was on last night.

It didn't help that he had to start some freshman (including the QB) in his first game as HC, on the road, against a football team that has lost like 4 games at home in the last 1000 years (hyperbole - just so there's no confusion). The state of the Duck's program is on a thin line right now, but you seem to think everything involved really isn't. You do realize that these two teams are in exact opposite situations right ? Boise lost ONE player from last year that was of any significance. Oregon had to replace half their squad, including the most important position on the field at QB.

Yes, shit happens and last night it happened to Oregon.

Does he still have his red shirt year available? As a JUCO student, I'm thinking yes. Since he's still "technically" on the team, and still has his scholarship, he could just use his red shirt year this year and come back next year, no? Or transfer, assuming any school'll have him, and come back next year?

The suspension was handed down by the University of Oregon, though, not the NCAA, so unless the NCAA can veto any player's attempt at a red shirt season or what not, I think he could go that route.

shrug.

I get what you're saying though, and it definitely makes sense. Anybody know if a situation like this has ever come up before?

Edited by Mysterio2000X

The option for his redshirt is available, however I doubt it'll be used. (usually) if the school makes the disciplinary decision, they can also make the decision on a redshirt (if available). There are however limits on redshirts, etc that play into it as well.

I'm actually excited for for the opening weekend for the first time in a couple years. We're finally getting bigtime college football back. We've got teams that are actually attempting to show they've got balls. Well, except for Florida and some others who will play the equivalent of a state ranked HS team. but Bama/VT - OK/BYU - UGA/OKST ? This kind of shit is what needs to go down.

Good for Oregon and Boise St. though for actually playing against each other (quality), vs. some of these teams (Florida, Texas, USC, Nebraska, etc...) doing the equivalent of scrimmages to start the season.

Just an update to this. The other schools also benefit as they get money. I know Ohio got like 200-350k for playing OSU last year, and Charleston Southern got 450k for the Florida game tonight. CS will be using that money to build individual lockerrooms for each sport. So it also benefits them. It's a chance to send your kids into a big time enviroment, get money to help build your own program because you aren't expecting to actually compete for anything. Pros outweigh the Cons for those teams too.

lolz Bradford is out for probably a month. Oklahoma was looking good too against BYU, at least in the second and third quarters. But BYU kept pounding the ball at them and pulled out the lucky victory, even though I was rooting for BYU.

As usual, my Buckeyes are vastly overrated and almost blew it against Navy, although I know we aren't used to playing teams who run the option every play.

There has been an overreaction to the Buckeyes game. Navy isn't terrible and the system they play causes certain problems, as do their offensive lineman too. Not to mention Tressel let the back-up play a good deal to get in some reps and he was downright brutal. And all of this goes along with how Tressel plays against most teams.