MLB Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest homerjfry

It broke my heart as a long time Dodger fan to hear about Lo Duca's trade. And from what I heard it broke his too. Very sad day and this has the makings of the Piazza trade all over again.

Shit....without the Sox I am forced to cheer for the Rangers and hope they take out the Yanks...without Nomar, Sox wont win it.

Dodgers made stuuuuupid deals. They dont even get Charles Johnson to play the position left by LoDuca because he backed down from the deal. So...they have a rookie and Brent Mayne to catch. CRAP!!!

and wasnt Choi a former Dodger prospect? as for the Mets...I well...bad deal as well. I see Benson leaving them in the off-season and Kazmir was my fav. prospect in their organization. They WONT make the playoffs this year, they dont have a chance. 6 games back from first and this team WONT MAKE IT!!! So..why risk so much for Benson...who is a .500 pitcher BTW , and I dont think he will ever be better than a 3rd or 4th starter at best. For that you give up your best pitching prospect? As for Zambrano...I think he is good but still needs to improve his control. I dont think he will be a factor until a couple of years down the road

Guest kijlhumt

Marlins make off like bandits.

Red Sox throw away their shot at the World Series.

Great day.

Nomar was depressed and wasn't going to come back.

Still the Sox got ripped off.

And Cubs made off better than the Marlins.

All the Cubs did was fill the shortstop position. They didn't add anything to their pen.

Marlins got the best set-up man in the NL, a name catcher, and a better rightfielder for a decent starter and a power hitter who can't hit breaking balls (the Korean Pedro Cerrano)

As for Nomar, I'm sorry, but the Red Sox sent out Nomar, a top prospect AND cash and all they got for it was a decent first baseman who can't hit and a shortstop who's coming from Montreal into one of the biggest baseball markets in the league. They didn't address needs in the starting pitching department, didn't get a top quality first baseman, didn't get a good outfielder, and essentially GAVE AWAY a former batting champion and heart and soul of their franchise. Not exactly what I'd call a good day.

Now, Ramirez doesn't have protection (Varitek batted behind him tonight), Derek Lowe isn't NEARLY what he should be and won't be anytime this year, they have improved on defense, but taken hitting and power away from two positions that the Yankees have (Jeter and Giambi), plus they got a player in Cabrera who won't likely stick around.

A HORRIBLE trade on all accounts by Boston.

Edited by kijlhumt

Lijlumt, the Sox are fine. Orlando Cabrerra is one of the top 5 shortstops in the entire game of baseball. I live in Canada and watch him play regularly, he is a gold glove with power and contact. The key for the Sox was the defence. Cabrera is much better at short then Nomar and Doug M. (I'm not even going to try and spell his name) is a massive upgrade at first with the glove. Complaining about their rotation is a little much, don't you think. Pedro, Schilling, Wakefeild and Lowe are all solid pitchers. Lowe may be having a bad year but that's because he is a sinker ball pitcher and has no defence behind him. He will enjoy these acquisitions the most. Nomar had to go, no one liked him in Boston and he certainly wasn't going to re0sign with them. Plus, he is playing like shit this year anyways. I don't see the pen as a big issue because of Foulke. Who cares if Timlin has to pitch the 8th to bridge the gap between the starters and Foulke. This is a very unbiased opinion as I am a huge Jays fan and am evaluating the deals today as they are. I guess the best thing that came out of today for the Red Sox besides Cabrera is the fact that The Big Unit isn't wearing pinstripes and overall, the Red Sox had a much better deadline then the Yanks did. You can sleep well tonight knowing the Red Sox finally beat the Yankees at something!

By the way, I still think the Sox are better this year then the Yankees. Much better starting pitching and when healthy very comparable line-ups. Yanks may have slightly better defence, but that's cause the left side of the infield is patrolled by Jeter and A-Rod.

Overall i think the team that came out of the deadline with the most and in the best position is The Marlins. Did anyone else see LoDuca’s first swing as a Marlin? Pinch hit home run for god sakes! The Marlins should win the east this year and definitely have what it takes to beat the Bubs and Giants. I'm drooling at the thought of a Marlins/Cardinals NLCS this year!

Guest kijlhumt

I didn't deny that they upgraded their defense.

The problem is that they gave up a former batting champion, their best positional player prospect, AND...AND CASH!!!!! Are you fucking kidding me? And all they got back was a decent shortstop who hasn't played a meaningful game in...ever, and a good field, no hit first baseman. Sorry, but if I'm trading a player as good as Garciaparra, I don't care how disgruntled with management he is. I get worth back for him. Worth for Garciaparra would have been Clement, Cabrera, and Mientkiewicz. Derek Lowe sucks this season, blame his defense as much as you want, but he doesn't bear down like he used to. Replacing him with Clement would have been the smart idea. Hell, dealing him in a separate trade to bring bullpen depth would have been a good idea. Instead, they keep a pitcher having a terrible season to pitch in huge games for them down the stretch even though he has no confidence. They aren't going to resign him at the end of the season, so why not get something for him?

Talk about how "great" the trade is, but keep in mind that the Red Sox gave up arguably one of the top five players in club history and essentially got dick for him. Not only did they essentially give him away, but they shelled out cash and their best non-pitching prospect.

An absolutely STUPID trade by the Red Sox, who have no shot against the Yankees when it counts. When last I checked...

Yankees...64-38

Red Sox...56-45

I'd say that the Yankees are a superior team right now, and only get better when the pressure is on.

Kevin Youkalis is the Red-Sox best no-pitching prospect. I agree Lowe sucks this year, but he isn't that bad. You really don't have any idea how good Cabrera is, that is clear. Nomar was shit this year, shit last year and he wasn't coming back in the off-season. So, just like you said, thye had to get something for him much like they didn't for Lowe. Doug M. can field and hit, he's simply in a slump. If the Jays had traded Delgado for Cabrera and Doug M. I would be extatic! Delgado is a better player then Nomar simply because he is the heart and sole of the Jays lineup. He's good for .280/40/120 a year atleast. Delgado isn't oming back next year but because of him being a bitch with his no trade clause, the Jays couldn't move him and his $18.5 Million salary. The Sox came out of July 31st in good shape. They'll win the wildcard, unless Scott Erickson suddenly becomes an all-star again in Texas. Boston can beat Oakland and Texas.

Kevin Youkalis is the Red-Sox best no-pitching prospect. I agree Lowe sucks this year, but he isn't that bad. You really don't have any idea how good Cabrera is, that is clear. Nomar was shit this year, shit last year and he wasn't coming back in the off-season. So, just like you said, thye had to get something for him much like they didn't for Lowe. Doug M. can field and hit, he's simply in a slump. If the Jays had traded Delgado for Cabrera and Doug M. I would be extatic! Delgado is a better player then Nomar simply because he is the heart and sole of the Jays lineup. He's good for .280/40/120 a year atleast. Delgado isn't oming back next year but because of him being a bitch with his no trade clause, the Jays couldn't move him and his $18.5 Million salary. The Sox came out of July 31st in good shape. They'll win the wildcard, unless Scott Erickson suddenly becomes an all-star again in Texas. Boston can beat Oakland and Texas.

1. Youkalis is more a major league rookie than a minor league prospect. Prospects are people who haven't seen the light of the big league day. Kevin's had his share of highlights since being called up the first time.

2. .301, 28 HRs, and career-highs in triples (13) and games played (156). While the errors were high (20), he still had his second-best season in terms of fielding assists (456.) Nomar was far from shit in 2003.

3. If it was the ALDS, Boston can beat Oakland if Mulder and Zito pull a Derek Lowe, and even then it'd likely go a full five.

Guest kijlhumt

Kevin Youkalis is the Red-Sox best no-pitching prospect.

A prospect is someone still in the minors that is thought highly of for taking a future spot on the major league roster.

I agree Lowe sucks this year, but he isn't that bad.

He's been terrible. Unless he pitches at home every start, he's fucked.

You really don't have any idea how good Cabrera is, that is clear.

Why is that clear? Because I know that he has no experience in dealing with the non-stop grind from media and fans that he'll deal with in Boston? FFS, he'll see more fans in one game at Fenway that he'd see for an entire homestand. That's not someone I want filling in for a heart-and-soul player.

Nomar was shit this year, shit last year and he wasn't coming back in the off-season. So, just like you said, thye had to get something for him much like they didn't for Lowe.

Problem: They didn't get enough for their needs. They NEEDED a new starter, a contender ALWAYS needs bullpen depth. They got two defensive role players for a superstar. That's a trade that the Expos make, not a team that's supposedly going to win the World Series.

Doug M. can field and hit, he's simply in a slump.

He can't hit nearly as well enough to fill in their offense.

If the Jays had traded Delgado for Cabrera and Doug M. I would be extatic! Delgado is a better player then Nomar simply because he is the heart and sole of the Jays lineup. He's good for .280/40/120 a year atleast. Delgado isn't oming back next year but because of him being a bitch with his no trade clause, the Jays couldn't move him and his $18.5 Million salary.

Point 1: If you want to trade a superstar for role players, that's really your call, I suppose. I just wouldn't recommend it.

Point 2: Carlos Delgado has every right to refuse a trade. -1- It's written into his contract. -2- He likes Toronto.

The Sox came out of July 31st in good shape. They'll win the wildcard, unless Scott Erickson suddenly becomes an all-star again in Texas. Boston can beat Oakland and Texas.

But they can't beat the Yankees, which is all that matters in the long run. The Yankees are going to make the playoffs. Boston still has to hold off teams to get them into the playoffs, and then hope they have enough gas to keep going. The Nomar chip was supposed to be used to solidify their rotation and make them able to beat the Yankees when it counts. They failed. Just like they always do.

Does anyone remember when the Sawx won like 5 out of 6 or 6 of 7 from the Yanks and Boston was setting up the parade route already? That was a long time ago, and Boston has steadily gotten worse since then. I don't even think they'll make the playoffs as either Anaheim or Oakland will likely take the WC spot

Only Boston trades a legit superstar for two mediocre players after missing out on acquiring A-Rod & Magglio Ordonez for a couple million bucks. A small market mentality for a big market team is terrible, see the Mets. But I guess, Boston just decided to feel the curse midseason this year as opposed to in the playoffs.

Another team that I dont know why they where not more aggresive are the Rangers. Hands down, they have the best infield in the league (Texeira , Soriano , Young and Blalock , all hard hitters with above average defense) , the outfielders have been good and all...but their pitching still sucks. $20 that Kenny Rogers chokes in the playoffs....and he is the best they have got. Erickson USED to be good , but now he is closer to retirement with every start. They need some pitching and fast , and they got none before the deadline.

But they can't beat the Yankees, which is all that matters in the long run. The Yankees are going to make the playoffs. Boston still has to hold off teams to get them into the playoffs, and then hope they have enough gas to keep going. The Nomar chip was supposed to be used to solidify their rotation and make them able to beat the Yankees when it counts. They failed. Just like they always do.

What on earth are you talking about? The Yanks DO NOT want to face the Red Sox in October for 2 reasons. 1) If the Sox get there chances are this team would be on a great run and will go into the post season on a great high and coming off of a first round series win. 2) Pedro, Schilling and Wakefield pitching games 1,2 and 3 do scare the Yanks. Especially with all the pitching problems the Yanks have had.

Cabrera and Mientkiewicz fix up the Defense on that team in a big way. Millar can go into the OF since Nixon is out for the year.

Guest kijlhumt

What on earth are you talking about? The Yanks DO NOT want to face the Red Sox in October for 2 reasons. 1) If the Sox get there chances are this team would be on a great run and will go into the post season on a great high and coming off of a first round series win.

And the Yankees would have the best offense in the league with one of the best bullpens in the league being able to turn it into a 6 inning game. Oh by the way, they got rid of the only big question mark in the rotation by shipping out Contreras.

2) Pedro, Schilling and Wakefield pitching games 1,2 and 3 do scare the Yanks. Especially with all the pitching problems the Yanks have had.

Except that all three have been defeated this year by the Yankees.

And what pitching problems? They have the second best record in the fucking league!!!!

Cabrera and Mientkiewicz fix up the Defense on that team in a big way. Millar can go into the OF since Nixon is out for the year.

And now they lost one of the biggest bats in their lineup and replaced him with a career low average/OPS player. Mientkiewicz is defense only at this point, with fighting off injuries and all.

Guest bukkake bandit

How odd. The trade was supposed to add defense to the Sux, but he cost them the game today.

They won't even make the playoffs. A Yankees/Red Sox meeting in October is a moot point.