MLB Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Jim Caple from ESPN.com's Page 2 predicts the next couple of days in baseball.

By Jim Caple

Page 2

Keep the re-fresh button handy. It's going to be a mighty busy week around baseball.

The Democrats are holding their convention in Boston, where nominee John Kerry threw out the first pitch at a Red Sox-Yankees game. The Dodgers and Giants are fighting for first place in the National League West, while the Red Sox and Yankees are brawling on the field. Atlanta is back in first place, and the Cardinals can start printing postseason tickets. The Cubs are scrambling for the wild card, and Greg Maddux is one victory from the 300 Club. Jason Giambi has been laid low by a mysterious parasite, and Yankees starters are dropping like flyballs in Kansas City.

And, of course, everyone wants to trade for Randy Johnson.

What's going to happen? Fortunately, you don't have to wait until Saturday's trade deadline to find out ...

July 28

# Yankees owner George Steinbrenner phones Arizona general manager Joe Garagiola Jr. and tells him he wants Johnson in New York in time for the press conference announcing the trade. When Garagiola claims he has no intention of trading Johnson, Steinbrenner just laughs and then adds, "No, seriously. Just make sure he's at Yankee Stadium at least 30 minutes before the press conference starts."

# Curt Schilling phones Johnson to encourage his former teammate to demand a trade to the Red Sox. Johnson pretends that he can't hear Schilling, claiming, "Damn. The cell phone coverage here is awful. Call me back later." He then calls Verizon to change his cell number.

# Doctors say the mysterious parasite plaguing Giambi could only have come from a third-world nation or a Shea Stadium concession stand.

July 29

# Arizona's repeated assertions that it won't trade Johnson prove false when reporters discover that the team has listed the Big Unit on eBay. With two days and six hours remaining in the on-line auction, all 31 bids belong to one person using the name bcashman.

# A near-deal between the Diamondbacks and Red Sox falls apart due to a last-minute problem with Boston's PayPal account.

# In a related development, John Kerry celebrates the Democratic nomination by going to Fenway Park in a "Yankees suck!" T-shirt and a Johnny Damon wig. Unfortunately for Kerry, the Red Sox are playing in Baltimore.

# Thoroughly disgusted and hopelessly out of the race, the Astros put Carlos Beltran out by the curb with the rest of the recycling.

July 30

# With Anaheim trailing Texas and Oakland in the AL West and desperate for starting pitching, owner Arte Moreno delivers the announcement that Angels fans have been eagerly anticipating for weeks: He's lowering beer prices again.

# The Yankees up the ante for Johnson, offering to pay the salaries of every single person living in Arizona.

# Boston's complicated seven-team, 26-player blockbuster fails to achieve its objective when the Red Sox accidentally trade Johnson back to the Diamondbacks at the end of the deal.

# Meanwhile, Johnson complicates the situation by saying he only wants to be traded to New York or the Italian village where Snakes owner Jerry Colangelo has his summer villa.

# After Giambi acknowledges that he has lost 38 pounds since Opening Day, women across the country ask their doctors for prescriptions for the mysterious parasite.

July 31

# The Diamondbacks accept Boston's offer of Nomar Garciaparra, reliever Curt Leskanic, third baseman Kevin Youkalis, two minor-league prospects and Ted Williams' frozen head for Johnson. The Red Sox back out at the last moment when Arizona refuses to pay shipping charges for the head.

# The Yankees trade Orlando Hernandez and two players to be named later for Johnson when Arizona agrees to pay half the Big Unit's salary. The big news, however, is that the Yankees have also traded for Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte.

# Doctors finally identify the mysterious parasite plaguing Giambi and order him to stay away from Steinbrenner.

Jim Caple is a senior writer for ESPN.com

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# Thoroughly disgusted and hopelessly out of the race, the Astros put Carlos Beltran out by the curb with the rest of the recycling.

Well, considering how well the team's played since Phil Garner took over for the senile old man (aka Jimy Williams), I don't see that happening. It's probably out of the question concerning catching the Cards, but the wildcard slot is well within reach.

The Devil Rays designated the 40-year-old first baseman for assignment on July 17 after he hit .181 with two homers and seven RBI in 27 games. Seven homers shy of 500, McGriff is eager for another chance to reach the milestone this season.

He'll be lucky if he gets seven more RBI, much less seven more HRs. He's through.

Pettite - meh. His injury problems prevented the long contract, and even this year, it's been proven the Yankees did the right thing by not resigning him. I sure wish we had Clemens though.

Sad part is...thuganomic posted that last month and Pettite's hurt AGAIN. In fact, wasn't it one month to the day from that post to the day that Pettite got hurt (the 26th or 27th)?!

Edited by Billy Castillo

Where is everybody? There have been 3 major trades already today.

Marlins Acquired:

C Paul Lo Duca

RHP Guillermo Mota

OF Juan Encarnacion

Dodgers Acquired:

RHP Brad Penny

1B Hee Seop Choi

LHP Bill Murphy

Puts the Dodger deep into the RJ hunt.

Mets Acquired:

RHP Kris Benson (from Pirates)

RHP Victor Zambrano (from Devil Rays)

for:

LHP Ty Wigginton (to Pirates)

3B Jose Bautista (to Pirates)

RHP Matt Peterson (to Pirates)

LHP Scott Kazmir (to Devil Rays)

Trades have been quiet so far. Mets have made two trades: Scott Kazmir and a prospect for Victor Zambrano and Joselo Diaz. And a three way where it goes down like this:

Mets get:

Kris Benson(PIT)

Jeff Kepinger(PIT)

Pirates get:

Ty Wigginton(NY)

Jose Bautista(KC)

Matt Peterson(NY)

Royals get:

Justin Huber(NY)

also, Florida traded Hee Seop Choi, Brad Penny, and a prospect for Juan Encarnicion, Paul Lo Duca, and Gullermo Mota. Dodgers also acquired Charles Johnson. Philly traded Ricky Ledee and a prospect to San Fran for Feliz Rodriguez and Brad Fullmer was traded from Texas to San Diego.

Nomar a Red Sox player no more

The Boston Red Sox sent shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs at Saturday's trade deadline in a three-team deal that sent first baseman first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz from the Twins and shortstop Orlando Cabrera from the Expos to Boston.

--MLB.com

Wow. Huge news.

Nomar a Red Sox player no more

The Boston Red Sox sent shortstop Nomar Garciaparra to the Cubs at Saturday's trade deadline in a three-team deal that sent first baseman first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz from the Twins and shortstop Orlando Cabrera from the Expos to Boston.

--MLB.com

Wow. Huge news.

Cabrera sucks. :P This doesn't help the Red Sox at all, maybe the locker room chemistry, but Cabrera is an downgrade from Nomar. Mientkiewicz is decent, he's a great fielder.

Who did the Cubs give up?

Red Sox trade SS Nomar Garciaparra, OF Matt Murton and cash to the Cubs;

the Expos trade Orlando Cabrera to the Red Sox;

the Twins trade Doug Mientkiewicz to the Red Sox;

the Cubs trade Alex Gonzalez, RHP Francis Beltran and IF Brendan Harris to the Expos and LHP Justin Jones to the Twins

Diamondbacks trade CF Steve Finley, C Brent Mayne to the Dodgers for C Koyie Hill, OF Reggie Abercrombie, LHP Bill Murphy

But, I think the Yanks had the best deal today, getting Loaiza from the ChiSox for Jo-se Con-tre-ras [/stephan A. Smith]. I'm sure Loaiza will re-sign with the Yankees and be their #5 starter :angry:

EDIT: The Yanks also gave up a whole $3 million to the other Sox in the deal. That's what, one day's worth of ticket sales for Steingrabber?

Edited by naiwf

I love Nomah. I want to sex him. Now, he has gone away to the land of wind and ghosts.

And Cabrera is shitty. And I can't even spell Doug's surname. I don't like these new guys. I want Nomah back. This has been a crappy end to a crappy day.

I like Dave Roberts, though. My kind of player.

Both NY teams did some good dealing.

The Marlins-Dodgers deal was interesting, but I don't know who it favours. Choi is a good prospect with decent ability right now, Lo Duca a very good catcher. Encarnacion should not be playing every day, though, and I don't think Penny will ever fully realise his potential.

San Diego had a nice day too. If the Dodgers deals don't go well for them (and they look sort of...dodgy, lololololol) then I can maybe see SD pipping LA and SF.

Philly got a couple of good arms for their 'pen, but didn't do as well as either of their division rivals.

I wouldn't be surprised to see ChiSox catch up to Twins a little after today's deals. Why did a team like the Twins trade a good everyday guy for prospects?

:( this sucks. I didnt like nomar but i figured if they traded him, they would get something in return. Cabrera & Mientkiewicz arent exactly the big names i expected the Sox to pick up.

FUCK FRANK FUCKING MCCOURT!

WE WERE IN FIRST YOU FUCKING FUCK!

Now, we traded away our two set up men, out base stealer, and the heart of our team, and for what, a first baseman that can't hit breaking balls, a .500 pitcher, and a guy who plays the same position as our biggest offseason pickup.

If the Dodgers don't win the division, I'm going to be pissed.

Oh, and all you Cubbie fans can like No-mah for now, but he'll probably be in Los Angeles come next season.

Edited by sycodmn

:( this sucks. I didnt like nomar but i figured if they traded him, they would get something in return. Cabrera & Mientkiewicz arent exactly the big names i expected the Sox to pick up.

well we improved our defense in both areas so I like the deal. I rather would have had the deal the Angels offered though(Casey Kotchman, Russ Ortiz, and Jeff Davanon for Nomar).