MLB Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hit Man 3120

What in the hell? Im watching SportsCenter and find out Pat Borders is still playing with the Mariners. Come one, that guy looked about 36 when he was in the World Series w/Toronto in 1992

That rant just hit me

Guest Hit Man 3120

I must say, this season is turning out to be one of the best in quite a few years. There's parity in the standings, which makes up for the lack of it in the payrolls.

Voting Nomar into the All Star team, though, confuses me....

Because Red Sox is so paranoid about the Yankees they HAVE to vote Nomar in over Jeter. Its not 26 World Championships but its something

Guest Hit Man 3120

Can someone tell me the name of that pitcher that threw that no-hitter against the Padres with like 10 walks. Im pretty sure he pitched for Florida. Thats been bugging the crap outta

Can someone tell me the name of that pitcher that threw that no-hitter against the Padres with like 10 walks.  Im pretty sure he pitched for Florida.  Thats been bugging the crap outta

Burnett had a no-hitter with 9 walks a couple of years ago but I thought that was against the Reds.

The only thing that sticks out is that David Weather is still the majors

what the hell is that supposed to mean?

This is the deal.

Mets Get: Richard Hidalgo (8 million left on contract this year and $ 2 million buy out for next year) and $ 4 million

Astros Get: David Weathers and Jeremy Griffiths

Struggling Koch dealt to Marlins

Associated Press

6/17/2004

MIAMI (AP) - The Florida Marlins acquired reliever Billy Koch from the Chicago White Sox for minor league infielder Wilson Valdez late Thursday night.

The deal was announced shortly after the Marlins beat the White Sox 2-1 in 12 innings.

The Marlins acquired Koch and cash from the White Sox, who had recently replaced the right-hander with Shingo Takatsu - Japan's all-time saves leader - as the team's closer.

``I was sort of expecting it a little bit, but I didn't think (Florida),'' Koch said. ``Through the grapevine, I hear things. I never heard the Marlins, but it'll be good. I like the heat, I like the sun.''

Koch, 29, never quite fit in with the White Sox after joining them last season. He appeared in 24 games this season with eight saves in 11 opportunities and a 1-1 record - but had a 5.40 ERA. Koch allowed 24 hits and 15 runs in 23 innings.

``That will be the best scenario for him,'' White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said. ``It's a shame it didn't work out for him here because he was a class act.''

The Marlins were in need of bullpen help in the middle innings to complement a solid starting rotation and closer Armando Benitez. Before trading for Koch, the Marlins' latest acquisition was 36-year-old Josias Manzanillo, who was called up from triple-A Albuquerque on Wednesday.

``He's a proven closer who knows how to handle games late,'' Marlins general manager Larry Beinfest said of Koch, a former Toronto Blue Jay. ``We'll put him right in that spot, in front of Benitez.

``Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him.''

Koch is 28-23 with 163 career saves in six major league seasons with Toronto, Oakland and Chicago.

The 25-year-old Valdez was hitting .319 in 66 games at Albuquerque. Florida claimed him off waivers from Montreal in March 2002.

Urbina last year......Koch this year?

This may sound funny, but at 31-34, I'm pretty happy with the Tigers thus far. When you look at the past decade (and even before that) we have been a fucking piss poor team. Right now, I think with Pudge's leadership, and some solid young prospects, we can be a playoff team within 2-3 years. Hell, if our pitching staff were any better, we could definitely contend for atleast a wildcard spot. Let's not also forget that Dmitri Young missed alot of the early part of the season, and he usually heats up along with the weather. With Young's bat back, we can only get better, and even Bobby Higginson and Brandon Inge are stepping up for us. I am also really liking Rondell White, Carlos Guillen, and Alex Sanchez as well. I really need to get out to Comerica park for my first time, as tickets are easily accesible. If I could do one thing differently with this team, it would have been keeping Mark Redman.

Edited by VerbalPuke