MLB Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Monday, May 17, 2004

Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Angels slugger Troy Glaus, a three-time All-Star who has hit an AL-leading 11 home runs in just 108 at-bats, will have surgery on his right shoulder Friday and be sidelined for at least two months.

Glaus was limited to 91 games last season because of a shoulder injury he sustained while trying to make a diving catch. He was taken out of the lineup in New York on Wednesday after apparently hurting his shoulder a night earlier in his last at-bat against the Yankees.

The surgery will be performed by Angels team physician Dr. Lewis Yocum to repair fraying of the labrum and rotator cuff, and Glaus will be placed on the 60-day disabled list, the team said Monday.

Glaus, 27, was hitting .296 with 29 runs scored and 28 RBIs. Twenty of his 32 hits were for extra bases, and he reached double figures in home runs in his 24th game -- fastest in club history.

The third overall selection in the 1997 amateur draft, Glaus hit an AL-leading 47 homers in 2000. He was the MVP of the 2002 World Series, when he hit .385 with three homers and eight RBIs to lead the Angels past the San Francisco Giants in seven games.

Glaus has a career batting average of .254 with 175 homers and 501 RBIs in 798 games. His homer total is the fourth-highest in franchise history.

Damn we need the OFs to get healthy fast. Halter at 3B is just killing me. Angels are gonna move in Figgens soon. Erstad just might see time in OF when he gets back because Kotchman's done fairly well.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JC769

Glaus is out for at least two months which definitely hurts the Angels. Big bat from the lineup to lose. Especially with other guys hurt. I wonder if this officially makes Glaus a first basemen for the rest of his career (I know there was talk of him making the shift somewhere down the line) or just a short term thing. This must make Erstad a lot happier though, instead of filling a utility role starting 3-4 times a week in the OF, first, and DH he'll get his full-time gig back.

But, I did think they were a better team with Figgins in the lineup instead of Erstad.

Chi Sox can't get anything goin, and thats all i care about....that and the Cubs losing as many games as possible....and the Brewers going over .500 on the season.....so I guess that isn't really all I care about, hmm.

What a day for pitching. RJ's perfection, Schmidt's flirtation with the no-no and then Angels/Yanks go 11 innings in a 1-0 ballgame. The Angels pithching hold the Yanks to just 3 hits in 11 innings(2 by Lofton and a 3rd one that resulted in Posada being nailed from RF).

Guest Hit Man 3120

Of Johnson had to no-hit the Braves. Two days after Ben Sheets struck out 18 of them. Big ups to the Old Unit. Correct me if Im wrong, but he's the only active pitcher with more than one no-hitter? And they're both against my teams, the Tigers in 1990 and the Braves Tuesday night

Guest JC769

Oh yeah!

But last night Bondermania OWNED the Oakland A's again, he's like 4-0 against them

Well actually last night's game was him returning the favor, as Harden outdueled him just a week or so prior.

Just a question... is it just me, or do players named Gagne in sports perform when the heat is on?

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, what is wrong with Lowe lately? He's just thrown away another game, although the Sox are always terrible against Balti for some reason.

I'm pretty sure Lowe's ERA is climbing to 6 and WHIP to 2. At this rate, send him down to Pawtucket and he can forget about his lucrative contract he wants after 04.

Guest Hit Man 3120

Just a question... is it just me, or do players named Gagne in sports perform when the heat is on?

Yeah, Greg Gange owned in the early 90s for the Twins