German Keeper Robert Enke Dies

Adam

Germany keeper dies in accident

Germany and Hannover 96 goalkeeper Robert Enke, 32, has died after being hit by a train, police have confirmed.

The German football federation (DFB) said in a statement: "The German team has learned of the death of Robert Enke with g reat shock.

"National team coach Joachim Loew and manager Oliver Bierhoff said: 'We are all shocked, we are speechless'."

Enke played eight times for Germany and also for clubs Benfica, Barcelona and Borussia Moenchengladbach.

He made his international debut aged 31 and became Germany's number one keeper after Jens Lehmann retired from internationals at the end of Euro 2008.

Enke had missed Germany's last four matches with a virus but returned for his club at the weekend.

Loew had indicated that Enke was in pole position for the number one jersey at next year's World Cup finals in South Africa.

Enke's daughter Lara died in 2006 of a rare heart condition when she was just two. He leaves behind his wife, Teresa, and an eight-month-old daughter the couple had adopted earlier this year.

Dr Theo Zwanziger, president of the DFB, said that the football community in Germany "are deeply distressed and in mourning".

He added: "All our sympathy goes to the wife of Robert Enke and his family."

-BBC Sport.

Awful, awful news, very shocking. He'd only just reached the pinnacle of his career, such a shame.

Rest In Peace Robert Enke.

Edited by AdamDRFC

McFly's word filter is getting everyone!

For someone held in such a high regard by people, it's difficult to wonder how he could be so set on ending his life. Such a shame.

R.I.P Robert Enke.

He lost two children a cupple of years back. No one realy knew how unstabel he was, there is a hugh wave of surprise and disbelive all over germany right now. Lot´s of speculation...

This is not something you want to see on the front page of BBC sport after refreshing.

It was bad enough as an accident, but this is just incredibly depressing news to be hearing about a goalkeeper who's good enough to be in the national squad committing suicide.

RIP Robert Enke

I'm just speechless. I just arrived home after a long day, and my mom told me about it. I couldn't believe it. I still hoped he would one day return to Benfica, as I think it was his intention, or at least I think he said he'd like to go back.

Apparently it's been confirmed it's a suicide. At least it's what they're reporting over here. I had no idea about his daughter dying three years ago. But to see an athlete I actually really liked go like this... :crying:

RIP, Enke. Thank you for everything you've done for Benfica.

• Like 1

I'm just speechless. I just arrived home after a long day, and my mom told me about it. I couldn't believe it. I still hoped he would one day return to Benfica, as I think it was his intention, or at least I think he said he'd like to go back.

Apparently it's been confirmed it's a suicide. At least it's what they're reporting over here. I had no idea about his daughter dying three years ago. But to see an athlete I actually really liked go like this... :crying:

RIP, Enke. Thank you for everything you've done for Benfica.

Aparently, we tried to get him in the summer.