Movies in 3D

Bryan Blade

I dunno If I could put up with it for as long as Avatar lasts. It gets a bit much after a while. I went to see a half an hour short in 3D and it was amazing, but I always find my eyes start to sag when watching full length movies entirely in 3D.

I've found 3D movies really distracting, in that I can't focus properly on a large enough area of the screen at the time to see everything that's going on. I either have to just concentrate on a small area of 3D stuff and ignore the rest, or overwork my eyes to keep flitting my focus around and gettign a headache in the process.

I'm also not sure how much is gained by 3D. Recently I've seen UP and A Christmas Carol as 3D films in the cinema, and thought that UP would be perfectly fine in 2D. Christmas Carol, meanwhile, had a lot more 3D 'gimmickry' (i.e. bits that are intentionally put there as "LOOK AT THIS 3D", rather than more "okay, what parts of our film would look good in 3D" (like UP did)...but that makes me judge the quality of the film more than anything. :shifty:

Finally, I saw a trailer for some street-dancey film in 3D. That was hideously confusing to watch - animated films can get away with it more, but life-action films involving lots of people flipping rapidly all over the place? All you've got there is a confusing blur.

To summarise, 3D = (N)

yeah I've seen Up and Shrek 3D. Up could easily have been 3D but Shreak was, while a horrible movie, all about gimmicks with out-streching arms and rocks flying at your face.

The problem I have with 3D is that there is no 3D counterpart most of the time to see it in 2D. Up was one example of that and I believe "Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs" was another. I saw up but couldn't stand to sit through another movie with 3D so didnt see CWACM even though I really wanted to watch it.

I thought the 3D was what made The Christmas Carol a really fun film; I thought the 3D was really good. I saw Avatar last night, and the 3D is subtle, yet, superbly effective. I thought it looked amazing and really, really made that film a real experience.

Yeah, the 3D is subtle in Avatar (there are some HOLY SHIT! FLYING THINGS! moments) but most of the time it's used to give depth to the landscape to the point where you barely even notice it.

3D and those nasty glasses just wash out the colors on the screen. I watched Bolt a few years ago in 3D and couldn't stand it--cute movie, but the 3D just wrecked it. I can't even imagine watching a bright movie like Up in that way.

Some films have 3D for the sake of just having 3D, which usually, in my opinion, ends up with it adding nothing to the movie and being overly annoying. If there's a purpose for the 3D I think it's different. Christmas Carol and Avatar have shown how 3D can be used really effectively and it's far superior to things like Final Destination in 3D, which was just gimmicky.

The only 3D thing I am a fan of is some Muppets 3D thing down in Walt Disney World. Other than that, I dont see the big attraction with 3D as I am perfectly fine watching things in 2D.

My Bloody Valentine 3D was fun because they took the approach of: "Okay, 3D is our only selling point, so lets gimmick the crap out of this" I can't imagine how much worse that movie was for people who watched it in 2D. I know I read somewhere that Dreamworks is planning on converting to 3D for all their films, and really, that's just going to be overkill. As much as 3D technology has improved from the blue/red glasses days, it's still not nearly as immersive an experience as movie studios apparently think it is.

3D isn't the future of films. It's just a transitional thing to stop piracy, and to make more money from 'event' films such as Avatar 3D and Christmas Carol 3D due to the price of the glasses (my local cinema has added an extra £6.50 to the ticket price for the privilege, the absolute cunts!). Admittedly, they're taking the right approach with this third attempt at popularizing 3D cinema by going with mainstream family films than third-rate horror sequels, but I see the fad dying down very quickly.

The real future is digital. I went to see '9' the other month and it just looked like one big blur to me. The cinemas need to compete with the increasingly clarity in picture you can get watching HDTV at home.

Yeah, I totally agree. I think there needs to be a few more animated adult animations. I thought it was very creative and unique, something I really found myself getting behind. But, maybe I was the only one, but I found it hard to get behind the protagonist after he basically brought everything on himself by randomly putting a switch in a machine. In that sense, it is all his fault. I felt that a little off-putting. Shane Acker has some potential for sure.

Not on topic, but am I the only one who has noticed that the animated films of today are less mature than most during the Disney Renaissance era. Aladdin, The Lion King, and Mulan are just a few examples of movies during the 90s that had very mature undertones but still were appropriate were children. Lately aside from 9 I can't think of an animated film that wasn't just a cocktail of dribble and cute characters.

Not on topic, but am I the only one who has noticed that the animated films of today are less mature than most during the Disney Renaissance era. Aladdin, The Lion King, and Mulan are just a few examples of movies during the 90s that had very mature undertones but still were appropriate were children. Lately aside from 9 I can't think of an animated film that wasn't just a cocktail of dribble and cute characters.

Pixar's films are fan-dabi-dozi at being mature while still child friendly. Dreamworks on the other hand...

This is a good way of putting it.