EWB's Top 50 Villains: The Results Thread

Draevyn

I dunno, I mean as terrible as these things feel for us now, in hindsight I can safely say the only reason we bitch so much about it is that we have enjoyed the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises so much and both were and are so good. At the end of the day I love the fact that I have had so many hours of enjoyment out of Spielberg and Lucas movies

“I like villains because there's something so attractive about a committed person -- they have a plan, an ideology, no matter how twisted. They're motivated.”-Russell Crowe

captain-vidal.jpg

39. Captain Vidal (Pan's Labyrinth)(10 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

xenomorph.jpg

38. Xenomorph (Alien)(10 pts, appearing on 1 Ballot)

casser_voix_aahhhh_1094841749_dolph_m176.jpg

37. Ivan Drago (Rocky IV)(10 pts, appearing on 1 Ballot)

annie.jpg

36. Annie Wilkes (Misery)(10 pts, appearing on 1 Ballot)

Sexy-Beast-Ben-Kingsley_l.jpg

35. Don Logan (Sexy Beast)(10 pts, appearing on 1 Ballot)

2058.jpg

34. Antwon Mitchell (The Shield)(11 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

alex-de-large1%5B1%5D.jpg

33. Alex DeLarge (A Clockwork Orange)(11 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

draft_lens1952639module9205727photo_1208781508dr_who_master.jpg

32. The Master (Dr. Who)(11 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

CBS_CRIMINAL_418_CLIP2.jpg

31. The Reaper (Criminal Minds)(11 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

spike3.jpg

30. Spike (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)(11 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

Guys, let's be honest here. I voted for Darth Vader because he's an iconic film character and a great hammy bad guy, but Star Wars wasn't exactly high cinema in the first place.

*ducks*

Ok..how about george lucas and steven spielberg for ruiining Indiana Jones with aliens?

Yes, because aliens really stretched the credibility of a film franchise about mythical relics melting the faces of Nazis.

Also - the Xenomorph isn't exactly a "villain", is it? No moreso than a man-eating tiger is a "villain". It's more of a "monster" than a villain, in that it has no motivation or anything, surely a villain would suggest a true antagonist rather than a creature that is just acting as its (admittedly ridiculous) biology suggests? I'd also argue against the case of Alex DeLarge as a "villain", sure he's a nasty piece of work, but as the protagonist of the piece I'm not sure he really qualifies.

Edited by Skummy
  • Like 1

I don't think being the protagonist should disqualify one from being classed as a villain. Alex DeLarge is a character who got great pleasure from being violent and manipulative. Certainly in the middle of the film you can say he becomes the hero of the piece after being "reformed", but this was more a desire to get out of prison and into the real world than to actually change. And of course, the ending of the film shows he did feel most comfortable as an evil character.

That said, yeyyy Vidal, Alex and The Master.

Guys, let's be honest here. I voted for Darth Vader because he's an iconic film character and a great hammy bad guy, but Star Wars wasn't exactly high cinema in the first place.

*ducks*

Ok..how about george lucas and steven spielberg for ruiining Indiana Jones with aliens?

Yes, because aliens really stretched the credibility of a film franchise about mythical relics melting the faces of Nazis.

Also - the Xenomorph isn't exactly a "villain", is it? No moreso than a man-eating tiger is a "villain". It's more of a "monster" than a villain, in that it has no motivation or anything, surely a villain would suggest a true antagonist rather than a creature that is just acting as its (admittedly ridiculous) biology suggests? I'd also argue against the case of Alex DeLarge as a "villain", sure he's a nasty piece of work, but as the protagonist of the piece I'm not sure he really qualifies.

Fair point about the Xenomorph, but it's not like it's that high up the list. In a way, it IS one of the villains of the Alien franchise, though I'd say Weyland-Yutani are the real baddies.

“I have known a vast quantity of nonsense talked about bad men not looking you in the face. Don't trust that conventional idea. Dishonesty will stare honesty out of countenance any day in the week, if there is anything to be got by it.”-Charles Dickens

saw3-tobin-as-jigsaw_1173913328.jpg

29. The Jigsaw Killer (Saw)(12 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

magneto.jpg

28. Magneto (X-Men)(13 pts, appearing on 3 Ballot)

Jaws-Movie-poster.jpg

27. That God Damn Shark (Jaws)(13 pts, appearing on 2 Ballot)

yolt_2_280.jpg

26. Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Bond)(13 pts, appearing on 2 Ballot)

The_Alien_Queen_by_D17rulez.jpg

25. Alien Queen (Aliens)(14 pts, appearing on 2 Ballot)

nurse-ratched.jpg

24. Nurse Ratched (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest)(14 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

arthur-mitchell.jpg

23. Arthur Mitchell (Dexter)(14 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

ronrifkin.jpg

22. Arvin Sloane (Alias)(15 pts, appearing on 3 Ballots)

Khan.jpg

21. Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: Wrath Of Khan)(15 pts, appearing on 3 Ballots)

250px-Operative2.jpg

20. The Operative (Serenity)(16 pts, appearing on 3 Ballots)

So you know Forky, Sloane is from Alias, not Lost. The list's shaping up quite nicely, but from what I can see, is suffering from either people voting for the same people who are high up on the list, or for people voting for too many different people. As 20th place hasn't even cracked 20 points yet.

Yeah, the lower end of the spectrum suffered a lot from there being too many different villains. I could have done it like you did and we probably would have had the top 50 but everyone would have made it due to having so many ties, but there is quite a bit of a margin within the top 10.

Something, isn't it? One tiny piece of metal... destroys everything. ~Dark Willow

mayor01.jpg

19. Mayor Richard Wilkins III (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)(17 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

suicideshawshank.jpg

18. Warden Samuel Norton (Shawshank Redemption)(17 pts, appearing on 2 Ballots)

28610.gif

17. Agent Smith (The Matrix)(19 pts, appearing on 4 Ballots)

Idris%20Elba.jpg

16. Russell "The Stringer" Bell (The Wire)(19 pts, appearing on 3 Ballots)

kevin.jpg

15. John Doe (Se7en)(21 pts, appearing on 3 Ballots)

billmreject.jpg

14. Otis Driftwood (The Devils Reject)(22 pts, appearing on 3 Ballots)

heroes_l.jpg

13. Sylar (Heroes)(24 pts, appearing on 5 Ballots)

S216_Angelus.png

12. Angelus (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)(25 pts, appearing on 3 Ballots)

scar4.jpg

11. Scar (Lion King)(27 pts, appearing on 4 Ballots)

rd6.jpg

10. Mr. Blonde (Resevoir Dogs)(29 pts, appearing on 5 Ballots)

69.jpg

9. Keyser Soze (The Usual Suspects)(29 pts, appearing on 5 Ballots)

nocountryforoldmen.jpg

8. Anton Chigurh (No Country For Old Men)(30 pts, appearing on 5 Ballots)

benjamin-linus.jpg

7. Benjamin Linus (Lost)(32 pts, appearing on 5 Ballots)

robert-patrick-t1000.jpg_byibevjun.jpg

6. T-1000 (Terminator)(36 pts, appearing on 7 Ballots)

_arquivo_hannibal_lecter-copy.jpg

5. Hannibal Lecter (Silence Of The Lambs)(37 pts, appearing on 5 Ballots)

I mean that Hannibal Lecter was never in the Terminator! How could he eat a robot, GoGo? How could he eat a robot?

With Fava beans and a fine Castrol GTX. :shifty:

• Like 2