Academy Award Nominations

Numbahs

I don't know. It felt like I was just watching these characters, and they didn't really have much story; or arc. I just felt they were just doing what they were doing; which was there job. It was like a live documentary. And some of it was awesome; I just went in expecting something very different from the style delivered. I saw it a while, and some of the set pieces are amazing; I just didn't expect it to be what it was, really. More preference than anything.

I'm gonna chime in here real quick to say that I think Inglourious Basterds is my favorite Tarantino movie. Fair enough, not everyone likes it, but given the year we had in movies, it's definitely worthy of the shortlist for best 10.

Meanwhile, Avatar is not a movie that I would put in that shortlist (and I liked it.) The only things Avatar should be nominated for are art/visual effects category.

It's a disgrace that Sharlto Copley wasn't nominated for best actor (District 9). As for the big one, District 9 should win, if not then Inglorious Basterds. I wouldn't begrudge Avatar if it won, as it was excellently made.

Oh, and Christoph Waltz must win best supporting actor - no one on that list can touch his performance.

But it was easily the top comedy of the year tied with The Hangover. Is there not a best comedy award; or something similar?

Have you ever seen the Oscars before?

On the nominations... you know, there is a lot of division about 5 vs. 10 in best picture... I think it should be 5. The Oscars is about prestige and acclaim, and having 10 movies just seems to dilute significance of being nominated for best picture. And if its to make room for more mainstream friendly movies, I'm against it. The Oscars have a good track record of trying to maintain a balance between critical acclaim and broadened appeal. This isn't the People's Choice Awards (ahem, The Blind Side...), and nor is it some film publication's top movies of the year. It's the Oscars - it's a fine balance between them both.

I think that's there angle too, but I think it's kind of a irrelevant angle. People tune into the Oscars because it's the Oscars - if my favorite movie is nominated or not (it's not), I'm gonna tune in anyway and I assume that's the position of the vast majority. What's will lose ratings in the long run is damaging the prestige and specialness of your awards, which is what happens when you have too many movies being nominated. Just my opinion.

They've only hit 40 million viewers once in the past 7 years. That was the year Lord Of The Rings swept everything.

There is no reason ratings from the 90s should be beating ratings from this decade, considering the current state of film is the most profitable it's ever been...

Making it ten instead of five is just a way of trying to get ratings.

I think they really regret missing out on The Dark Knight's bandwagon last year.

And Wall-E (that's why Up has been nominated this year). The Academy should be ashamed of themselves for nominating The Curious Case of Benjamin Button over those two. In what reality is Benjamin Button a good film?!

:lmao:

That's a bad thing?

Yes, because when a film only has Oscar aspirations in mind, it brings out the worst cliches morons mistake for good filmmaking.

"Hi my name is Brad Pitt, and I'm putting on a shitty accent to make sure everyone notices I'm acting. This plot would do for a twenty-minute short film, but if we look at all aspects of recent American history like some kind of funfair until the runtime is three hours, it's actually a film of epic proportions. My character is shallower than a paddling pool on a (insert southern American dead metaphor here), but if I say: "Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss." 19 times, I will be dubbed the next Forrest Gump. Tragic death laced with sentimental moments - the Oscar's ours!"