Favourite Songs #1

YI

It's a slow day, and we have some of these sorts of threads popping up from time to time. So, let's just consolidate it to list format. Try and get a bit of discussion going if you want (because isolated list threads are shit), I've basically chosen 'randomly' from my winamp, filtering out stuff which wouldn't be known enough to get much of a response. So here goes, your first 25 artists;

A -

Alien Ant Farm -

Aqualung -

Atom & His Package -

Avril Lavigne -

Babyshambles -

Badly Drawn Boy -

Ben Folds Five -

Biffy Clyro -

CKY -

Coldplay -

The Cribs -

Daft Punk -

Deftones -

Feeder -

The Get Up Kids -

In Flames -

The Killers -

Modest Mouse -

Muse -

New Order -

Pendulum -

Say Anything -

Sigur Rós -

Weezer -

Alien Ant Farm

Has to be Smooth Criminal (although I do quite like Movies) because it was such a good cover and they really made it their own whilst also referencing MJ. I was never big on AAF (although I think I still have the first album hanging around somewhere.) but I never heard a bad track by them I don't think. Fond memories of early 2000's.

Avril Lavigne -

Figured I'd choose this for a laugh. Like with AAF, I own the first album, but it's all right. I think I might put it on later actually and see what I think of it now. Her singles weren't very good, and I've never really liked the 'skater chick' look, but I do really like 'I'm with you' from the first album. I also think I used to like 'Nobody's fool' but I only have room for one fool and that's cause I'M A LOVE FOOL! Yeah.

Biffy Clyro -

Fantastic band that I only got into in 2008 when the lass I was seeing started playing Puzzle and it was either that or Pendulum that she wanted to play. Now, for those who know me, you know that I hate Pendulum, but for those that don't... I hate Pendulum. So began a summer of my obsessed with Biffy Clyro and I'm not huge on their older stuff but they are a band that have quite a large amount of good stuff. Simon Neil is also half of the brain that created 'Rubber Lover' and 'Kid Gloves', so I'm happy for that. Favourite songs have to be 'Bubbles', 'Machines', 'Living is a...' and 'Love Has a Diameter'.

The Killers -

I'm not massive on them but they did have a really good first album and then some more songs came about after Hot Fuss. I only own Hot Fuss but it does have the amazing 'Jenny Was a Friend of Mine' which I fucking love. I never really got into Mr. Brightside like the rest of the world did, I like it and all, but it just makes no fucking sense. 'Smile Like You Mean It' was my favourite of the singles although I do quite like 'Somebody told me'. QUick mention for 'Spaceman', me likes that.

Modest Mouse -

A band that I absolutely love one album and a half of but cannot get into the rest of the stuff for the life of me. Johnny Marr was a huge reason for me even knowing about them and then an even bigger reason for why I actually like the stuff with him. However, despite my love for 'Dashboard', 'Missed the Boat', 'Parting of the Sensory', 'Spitting Venom', 'People as Places', 'Steam Engenius' (The first song I heard) and 'We've Got Everything'... my favourite song isn't a Marr influenced song and that would be 'Float On'. Amazing simplistic riff.

I'd say something about Muse but listening to Killers has made me want to play some bass. So, Muse are awesome, 'Absolution' may be the best album of the 2000's (fighting off good attempts from Radiohead and Bloc Party.)

Alien Ant Farm - Movies has to take it for me. I loved the video as a kid, when I was into music channels; and the song's pretty catchy. Though, Smooth Criminal, Courage or Flesh and Bone are all two tracks.

Avril Lavigne - This one's harder than I thought it would be; I dug It's Complicated and Hot. It's a toss up between Skater Boi and Girlfriend - both being insanely catchy.

Biffy Clyro - This one's a no contest for me. Machines is such an amazing track. I'd easily take that over Mountains, Living is a Problem and Who's Got A Match. It's one of my all time favourite tracks.

Coldplay - Yellow. Definitely Yellow. Coldplay have some quality tracks, to boot. Viva La Vida, Violet Hill and Fix You are all amazing tracks - but I'll always remember Coldplay for the awesomness of Yellow.

The Cribs - Shamefully I only know one Cribs track, but it's a beauty all the same. Man's Needs is catchy treat for anyone to listen to.

Feeder - Has to be Shatter. Buck Rodgers is awesome, but Shatter is just far better. Though, I've always felt Feeder were a tad overrated, but that could be because my friend is in love with them.

The Killers - Killers have a number of awesome tracks, but again, no contest. Mr. Brightside x 100

Muse - I'm not a big Muse fans, despite them being one of the more popular bands among my friends - but it's hard not to love Knights of Cydonia. But my favourite track is definitely Time Is Running Out; outright amazing.

Pendulum - Blood Sugar and Propane Nightmares tie for being complete quality.

A - Saw 'em live once as a support act. Can't remember any of their stuff...

Aqualung - Strange and Beautiful (first dance with the wife at our wedding) :wub:

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend (ridiculously catchy) ^_^

Badly Drawn Boy - Once Around The Block ^_^

Coldplay - The Scientist ^_^

Daft Punk - Around The World :w00t:

Deftones - Back to School <_<

Feeder - Insomnia :w00t:

The Killers - Andy You're A Star :mellow:

Muse - Citizen Erased :wub:

New Order - True Faith :w00t:

Sigur Rós - Changes all the time, probably currently Saeglopur :wub:

Weezer - My Name is Jonas ^_^

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal. Hands Down.

Avril Lavigne - Complicated. If only for the memories of my first ski trip.

Coldplay - Viva La Vida. Seeing them in concert with the timpani and bells was fantastic. The song is also great.

Daft Punk - Don't know much Daft Punk except for their Mainstream songs (Technologic, Around the World, Harder Better Faster Stronger). I guess Technologic would be my favourite.

The Killers - Never got the hype around The Killers. I guess Mr. Brightside

Modest Mouse - Float On. I bought "Good news for people who like Bad News" on a whim at a sale and it was absolutley terrible. Kinda put me off them a bit.

Muse - Unintended, Soldier's Poem. Couldn't pick one. Love both of them to bits.

Weezer - Teenage Dirtbag forever.

Avril Lavigne - When You're Gone. I like Sk8er Boi and Complicated, as everybody should, and Girlfriend is awesome, even more awesome in Mandarin :shifty:. But When You're Gone is an absolute belter.

Biffy Clyro - I don't like them, but Many of Honor is pretty good on the 90th listen. Fucking Radio 1.

Coldplay - I've never really given Coldplay a chance which is weird because I like all of their singles. Absolutely love Viva la Vida though.

Daft Punk - Again, haven't heard anything apart from their singles, at least not knowing it's by them. I love Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger however, mostly from hearing it in the background of Stronger and realising it's a solid tune in its own right... the video of those two girls with the words written on their legs is awesome as well.

Feeder - Tough one. Not a massive Feeder fan (seems to be a recurring theme) but Buck Rogers holds a lot of memories from screaming it at house parties when I was like 14/15... Just a Day is better though.

The Killers - When I started Sixth Form I didn't know much about The Killers but said I hated them for some reason... not sure why. Anyway, my mate sent me loads of songs and I decided I quite liked about half of their songs and hated the rest. I love Mr. Brightside but Under the Gun is immese, probably one of my favourite ever songs. Probably the only song on my list that isn't an obvious choice :/

Muse - Yeah, hate Muse. A lot. But I like Starlight.

Edited by Pesci

Muse - Unintended, Soldier's Poem. Couldn't pick one. Love both of them to bits.

Soldiers Poem? Really? Wow.

I'm almost at the point of blind love for Muse but Soldier's Poem may be the worst song I have ever endured. It's like they thought "Oh balls, we don't have a song that stays consistently slow on this album, let's throw one in". That and it comes after Map of The Problematique which has to be one of the stand out songs of their career. I'd also say it's my favourite on that album, although I know YI would argue forever that it is Starlight.

A - Not that there is much choice really, but I loved 'Nothing'. Listened to it again for the first time in ages the other day, bloody brilliant.

Alien Ant Farm - Really, really liked 'Movies'. Outside of the obvious, hadn't really heard much else though.

Aqualung - 'Strange and Beautiful' is the only song I've heard, but is one of my favourites.

Avril Lavigne - I actually went through a spell where I quite liked her first two albums, but to be honest, I could barely name a song now that she has done outside the obvious choices, like 'Complicated' and 'Sk8r Boi'.

Babyshambles - I know very little, but really liked 'Fuck Forever' for some reason.

Badly Drawn Boy - The majority of my BDB listening comes from the 'About A Boy' soundtrack, of which the best song is undoubtedly 'Silent Sigh'

Ben Folds Five - Easily one of my favourite acts (Ben Folds Five, and his solo stuff at least). Whilst the choice would probably be harder if it was Ben Folds, Ben Folds Five's best song for me is 'Brick'. Ben Folds on his own would probably have to go to 'Not The Same'

Biffy Clyro - Outside of the 'Puzzle' album, not really heard much else. Really liked 'Living Is A Problem Because Everyone Is Dying' though.

CKY - Oh so limited amount to chose from, but used to love '96 Quite Bitter Beings'

Coldplay - I, for one, quite like a bit of good Coldplay, but their earlier stuff is the best. I guess I'd go with either 'Don't Panic' or 'Shiver' as my favourite songs.

Daft Punk - obvious choice, but 'Around The World', for the video alone

Deftones - One of my favourite bands, I'd probably have to make a choice off of the 'White Pony' album, with that being my favourite release from them. 'Feiticeira' (sp?) has a good amount of raw power, but I also like the lazy kinda sound to 'Street Carp'

Feeder - I've never been a huge fan of Feeder, but I did go through a time where I thought that they were a really solid rock/pop act, with some killer singles. 'Just A Day' and 'Come Back Around' will probably be the two that I enjoy the most.

In Flames - One of my favourite acts, although they have gone downhill since when I first got into them. Older stuff though is awesome, especially the 'Clayman' album. Depending on whether I want the heavier or the more melodic side, my favourite tracks by them are 'Clayman' or 'Only For The Weak'

The Killers - Never really listened to any of their stuff past 'Hot Fuss', but as catchy singles go, it is hard to beat 'Mr Brightside'

Modest Mouse - Always meant to check out more from them, having only heard 'Float On', which wins by default.

Muse - Have all of the Muse albums, and it is a very hard band to chose a favourite from. I always really liked 'Cave' from their debut album, whilst later songs I really liked include 'Starlight' and 'Hysteria'

New Order - Can't beat a bit of 'True Faith'. I have their best of, and I don't give it nearly enough time.

Alien Ant Farm - They have songs that aren't "Smooth Criminal?"

Atom & His Package - "Hats off to Halford," mainly because I haven't listened to his music in a while and that's a song I remember.

Ben Folds Five - Probably "Brick"

Daft Punk - What's with this list and bands with only one album I've ever listened to? I'm going to go with "Too Long."

The Killers - I always really liked "Somebody Told Me," so let's go with that.

Modest Mouse - Ughhhhh, so hard...can I go with the entire The Moon and Antarctica CD?

A -

Alien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal, due to awesomeness of it.

Babyshambles - I always enjoyed Fuck Forever.

Biffy Clyro - There are so many, but for one song I'd go with Mountains, because it never fails to get my blood rushing.

Coldplay - I'll say The Scientist, but there are no songs I really really like persay.

Daft Punk - One More Time, will always love that song.

Feeder - Pushing The Senses, I don't know why.

The Get Up Kids - No song jumps out at me, so I'll just say Red Letter Day for now. May change it later.

Modest Mouse - Everyone is saying Float On, so I'll say Bury Me With It for a change.

Muse - There are loads of songs I could choose, but it'll be Plug-in Baby.

Weezer - Undone (The Sweater Song). No contest.

Alien Ant Farm - "Glow" is unbelievably catchy, but I'm going to go with "These Days" from truANT. I like their earlier stuff, but for some reason I like truANT a bit more than ANThology.

Avril Lavigne -"Let Go" is actually a nice little pop album. "Things I'll Never Say" is one of the deep cuts that is actually quite a bit better than that complicated skater boy stuff they put on the radio.

Ben Folds Five -Sooooooooooo many songs to choose from. I did sound design for a show where I used predominently Ben Folds and Ben Folds Five songs (the director's idea, not mine) so I got into them as a result of that. I'd have to go with "Philosophy" here, there's some epic piano-ing here.

CKY - Haven't heard a ton of them, "96 Quite Bitter Beings" is good, but I'll go with "Sporadic Movement" based on nothing more than personal preference.

Coldplay - "Fix You" has always struck a chord with me, I don't know if it's cheesy or a lame song to like, but that's my choice hands down.

Daft Punk - Gotta be "Da Funk." "Harder Better Faster Stronger" makes a good remix track, but the original is a bit overplayed and a little boring after a while.

Deftones -"RX Queen." The entire White Pony album is great though. I'm also fond of "Minerva" from that dreadful self-titled album.

Feeder - I've really only heard the single "High," so.......

The Get Up Kids -"Don't Hate Me," I have a cousin named Amie who would always play this song so it tends to get stuck in my head a bit.

In Flames - Gotta be "Cloud Connected." I haven't heard a ton from these guys, but that's an awesome track.

The Killers - Tempted to say "The Things That I've Done" because of Southland Tales, but "Mr. Brightside" is hard to top.

Modest Mouse - I've always like "Ocean Breathes Salty" but I think I'm going to pick "Tiny Cities Made Of Ash" because it brings together the quirky and the melodic stuff about MM that I dig the most.

Muse - "Hysteria." A thousand times this.

New Order - "Ceremony" is pretty awesome, as is "Bizarre Love Triangle" but I love me some "Regret."

Weezer -Much like BF5, TONS to choose from here. Um... "No One Else?"

Alien Ant Farm - smooth criminal

Avril Lavigne - that sk8er boi song ages ago

Babyshambles - Fuck Forever maaaaan

Coldplay - Clocks

The Cribs - AHHH (L) (L) - Girls Like Mystery right now, but Don't You Want to be Relevant? And Men's Needs are lovely.

Daft Punk - One More Timeeee

The Killers - Mr Brightside

Modest Mouse - Dashboard wins, Float On, 3rd Planet, The View and Ocean Breathes Salty(+ Probably more) are also lovely but I go with Dashboard.

New Order - Subculture.

Weezer - I'm a buddy holly d00d

Soldiers Poem? Really? Wow.

I'm almost at the point of blind love for Muse but Soldier's Poem may be the worst song I have ever endured. It's like they thought "Oh balls, we don't have a song that stays consistently slow on this album, let's throw one in". That and it comes after Map of The Problematique which has to be one of the stand out songs of their career. I'd also say it's my favourite on that album, although I know YI would argue forever that it is Starlight.

I don't think of it in the context of the album. I just like the song. And slow doesn't always mean shit.

Alien Ant Farm - "Smooth Criminal" - Because it's better than Movies and those are the only two AAF songs I've heard.

Aqualung - "Good Times Gonna Come" - Tough one for me because I was a big Aqualung fan back in college, but Good Times just pips Strange & Beautiful and Easier To Lie because of the great memories I've attached to it.

Avril Lavigne - "Hot" - Largely because of the video but it's pretty catchy as well. The fact it's the only song of hers I can recall doesn't help really.

Badly Drawn Boy - "Once Around The Block" - Had to check what it was called, but this is easily my favourite. Brilliant guitar riff and, lyrically, it's one of his better efforts.

Biffy Clyro - "Mountains" - Not really a Clyro fan so this is one of the only songs of theirs I know. Always leads to me and my mates belting out the chorus if it's played on a night out.

Coldplay - "God Put A Smile Upon My Face" - I still really like the majority of the first two albums ("A Whisper" can go fuck itself, for instance) and this is the highlight of them both for me. Great anthem. "Cemeteries of London" is surprisingly awesome also.

Daft Punk - "Around The World" - So...so difficult as I love me some Daft Punk but I'll have to stick with Around The World. The bass-line is brilliant and it's one of Punk's more danceable tracks. "Da Funk" and "Digital Love" are pretty close though.

Feeder - "Summer's Gone" - Off Comfort In Sound. One of their quieter efforts, but I love the brooding tone of it. Plus, the verse after the second playing of the chorus is brilliant.

The Killers - "Midnight Show" - I've only got their first album and this my favourite song off it. Up-tempo, plus a great guitar lick. If I had to pick another, it'd be either "Mr. Brightside" or "Read My Mind"(?).

Muse - "Sunburn" - I'm a big Muse fan (haven't bought the latest album yet though dry.gif) but this is the song that got me interested in the first place, so I suppose it's my favourite. The likes of Hysteria, Bliss and New Born are fantastic, but none of them illicit the reaction Sunburn does.

New Order - "True Faith" - My dad was a big New Order fan when I was growing up, so I heard quite a bit of them when I was growing up. True Faith is the song that's stuck with me, probably for its lyrics. It's either this or "World In Motion" for the epic John Barnes rap.

Pendulum - "Propane Nightmares" - One of the only Pendulum tracks I know well enough really. It was going to be either this or "Slam" to be honest and Slam farts about too much for my liking.

Sigur Rós - "Hoppipolla" - A group I've heard great things about but I've never taken the time to listen to. Hoppipolla is probably the only track of theirs I've heard completely and that's only due to its brief flirtation with the charts last year. hmm.gif

Weezer - "Undone - The Sweater Song" - Favourite by a LONG way. Can be either a bounce-along anthem or dirge depending on my mood, but it's a song I'll always come back to.

Edited by badotori

A -

Avril Lavigne - "Don't Tell Me" or "I'm With You". I actually like Avril a lot more when she's embracing her softer side.

Ben Folds Five - If we're talking about just Ben Folds, it's "Landed." With the five, I really like "Army"

Coldplay - Probably "Life in Technicolor" right now. But "Amsterdam" is a classic as well.

Daft Punk - Technologic

The Killers - "Read My Mind"

Muse - "Time is Running Out" for obvious reasons. First Muse song I heard, and still my favorite.

Weezer - I actually quite like "Perfect Situation" off Make Believe, even though everyone hates that album.

Alien Ant Farm - Movies I almost went for their cover of Smooth Criminal (which I like far better than the original), but in the end had to choose Movies because it reeks of nostalgia and that summery feeling. :)

Avril Lavigne - Complicated Just a nice, simple song I think, and one which again takes me wayyyyy back to the early 2000s (I'm only 17, shut up :P). Reminds me of junior school and, again, the summer for some reason.

Babyshambles - Fuck Forever Such a difficult choice between this, Albion, and Killamangiro. Fuck Forever edges it because it was the last song they played when I saw them, and it absolutely tore the roof town.

Coldplay - Fix You I hate a great deal of Coldplay songs, and can't understand how so many people can compare them to Oasis, but this song (especially the ending) is admittedly great.

The Cribs - Our Bovine Public Just a nice, fast-paced, punky tune with a great ironic message.

Daft Punk - One More Time I also love the Around The World/HBFS mix from "Alive 2007", but as stand alone songs One More Time hits them both out of the ballpark.

Feeder - Just A Day This was such a hard choice, perhaps the hardest of the list, as I was strongly tempted to choose Seven Days In The Sun or Insomnia. But I heard Just A Day before either of these and the raw energy of the track wins it for me.

The Killers - Mr Brightside This was always going to be a song from their first album, and Mr Brightside edges it over Smile Like You Mean It. Such a bitter, heartbreaking song.

Muse - Hysteria I wish I listened to more Muse, because then I think I would appreciate some of their less-poppy, more epic efforts. However I love everything about this song, from the screeching guitars to the slow drum-build up, and especially the amazing bassline.

Pendulum - Blood Sugar Very tempted to choose their version of Voodoo People, but I think that would be cheating slightly. Besides, THAT intro never fails to get me pumped whenever I hear it. "Okay, fuck it, I lied. It's drum and bass, what you gonna do."

Weezer - My Name is Jonas Rivers apparently wrote this song about his mentally disabled brother, and this resonates particularly strongly with me as my younger brother has autism. I loved the song even before I knew why it was packed full of such emotion, but now it carries a more personal significance for me.

Edited by Jack_Attack

A - Only one answer here (well, two) but "Starbucks" all the way.

Alien Ant Farm - I honestly believe "These Days" is one of the most underrated rock singles of all time, absolutely massive song, huge chorus...but "Courage" from the debut sneaks it.

Aqualung - A tough one. "Strange & Beautiful", "Easier To Lie", "Cinderella", "Breaking My Heart Again", "Take Me Home"...so many awesome songs...as of right now, I'll sneak it to "Take Me Home".

Atom & His Package - Party time! Gotta love Atom. For some reason I'm finding myself drawn to "180lbs" at the minute, but there's also massive tracks like "I'm Downright Amazed At What I Can Destroy With Just A Hammer", "Happy Birthday Ralph", "Me And My Black Metal Friends", "The Palestinians Are Not The Same Thing As The Rebel Alliance", "Undercover Funny", "Anarchy Means I Litter", "Before My Friends Do" etc...but the winner has to be just the incredibly lovely "Upside Down From Here". Such an out of character, incredibly beautiful song.

Avril Lavigne - Despite how banging she is in the "Girlfriend" video..."Complicated" is amazing.

Babyshambles - Absolutely adore them...but it's an easy one, "Gang Of Gin", piece of piss.

Badly Drawn Boy - Got into him through the About A Boy soundtrack. So many killer tracks, but surprisingly I'm going with "Welcome to the Overground" from "Born In The UK".

Ben Folds Five - Toss up between "Army", "Brick", "Philosophy" and "Sports And Wine"...going to go with "Brick".

Biffy Clyro - Personally I'm not that massively into Biffy, but they do have some great tunes. "Bubbles" off the latest one is huuuuuuuuuge. So I'm going with that.

CKY - A bunch of options, "96 Quite Bitter Beings", "Rio Bravo", "Disengage The Simulator", "Deceit Is Striking Gold", "Escape From Hellview", "Flesh Into Gear", "Inhuman Creation Station"...but I'm going with "Close Yet Far", which has a shockingly high number of plays from me.

Coldplay - Before the last album I liked "In My Place", "The Scientist" and the ending to "Fix You". The last album was full of some absolute tunes; "Viva La Vida", "Lovers In Japan/Reign Of Love" (2nd half especially), "Lost" etc. But I'm going to have to go with "The Scientist", gorgeous song, fantastic video.

The Cribs - A bunch of brilliant tracks, but nowt touches "Mirror Kissers".

Daft Punk - I'm going with "Around The World" but "Superheroes" and "One More Time" are close.

Deftones - Toughie, "Rx Queen" just pipped by "Back To School", I'm sorry, it's just such a massive song (even if its sole purpose is to be a 'sellout song').

Feeder - I realised recently, I absolutely adore Feeder. So many amazing songs, but still this is a piss easy one, it's got to be "My Perfect Day" from their debut...killer at Leeds Fest a couple of years ago, this one song as a total standout of the whole festival for me (even if we missed the beginning and literally ran to get close to the stage to catch it haha).

The Get Up Kids - Hmmm, "Up On The Roof", "Ten Minutes", "Red Letter Day" and "Mass Pike" have to be up there...but "Close To Home" has to be it, I legit lost my shit when they did it when I saw them.

In Flames - A bunch of quality tunes, but for some reason I've always been drawn to "Touch Of Red".

The Killers - A totally underrated band for what they are. I love "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", "Spaceman" and "Bling (Confessions Of A King)"...but there's no way in hell you can go against "Mr Brightside".

Modest Mouse - "Float On" was an absolutely massive track, none of their singles touches it as far as straight up awesome goes. But I'm going to go with "Paper Thin Walls".

Muse - Piss easy, "Falling Away With You".

New Order - One of my favouriote bands ever. Quite tough, so many awesome singles and underappreciated album tracks...I'm going with "All The Way" from "Technique", even if it sounds suspiciously like "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure.

Pendulum - Bollocks to what people say, I quite like them and even the 2nd album had some tunes on it. "Blood Sugar" all the way.

Say Anything - Not really massive on Say Anything, but I have all their albums. I mean, he's good...I just think the likes of Weatherbox, Jonah Matranga, Into It.Over It etc. do this stuff better. It's between "Chia-Like, I Shall Grow" and "Little Girls"...I'm going for "Little Girls" purely for the rockiness of it.

Sigur Rós - Really tough one, such an amazing band. After spending like half a day subconciously playing it on a keyboard last week, I'm going with "Ára Bátur. I honestly feel their last album was their best.

Weezer - I dunno..."Surf Wax America".

Edited by YI