The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

I look at it as a good thing. I've been hoping for Jones to fire Phillips. And Garrett was the next head coach in waiting. So why not give him the job when they're pretty much dead as far as making the playoffs is concerned? If he does a decent job, keep him next season. If he sucks ass, get rid of him at the end of the year and get Bill Cowher, Mike Ditka or even Brian Billick on the phone and offer them the job.

The problem with the Cowboys is similar to the situation with the Raiders: the owner is too hands on, which means most decent coaches won't want the job. The only difference is Al Davis is batshit crazy and living in the past while Jerry Jones is just an asshole.

At least one good thing happened this week. I'm still laughing over the Browns beating the Patriots.

Edited by GhostMachine

They almost have to at least give him a shot, right? I mean this is the best solution to the Jason Garrett situation. Just a few years ago he was THE coordinator that was going to be a great head coach so Jones paid him nearly as much as he was paying Phillips to stay around a few more years and be groomed as the next Cowboys head coach. It obviously hasn't worked out as well as they had planned given how far Garrett's stock has dropped, but with this season already over why not see how he does on a limited basis? Otherwise he probably leaves the Cowboys next season or he becomes the head coach of the team then, and if that didn't work out that would be just another buyout. Throw him in and see if he sinks or swims.

• Like 2

They almost have to at least give him a shot, right? I mean this is the best solution to the Jason Garrett situation. Just a few years ago he was THE coordinator that was going to be a great head coach so Jones paid him nearly as much as he was paying Phillips to stay around a few more years and be groomed as the next Cowboys head coach. It obviously hasn't worked out as well as they had planned given how far Garrett's stock has dropped, but with this season already over why not see how he does on a limited basis? Otherwise he probably leaves the Cowboys next season or he becomes the head coach of the team then, and if that didn't work out that would be just another buyout. Throw him in and see if he sinks or swims.

That's more or less what I was trying to say, but said a LOT better. So +1.

Yeah, I didn't realize anyone else had posted. I left the window up knowing I wanted to respond and when I got back to the tab I didn't refresh. But as bad as this year has been the Cowboys can at least look at it as an opportunity to tie up some loose ends (like the Garrett situation), get a fresh new coaching staff, and they'll have very high picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds to work with. They have a lot of talent (at least name wise, I don't know what their weaknesses exactly are as I haven't watched them) so if they can get a couple starters out of the draft and 1 or 2 more via FA this team might live up next year to what we thought they would be this year.

Yeah, they'll flag you all day for so much as grazing the helmet of a QB in the pocket. That's one of the easiest calls for an official to make.

Just as we were done celebrating the Ravens' victory today it came time to get ready for the Thursday night game in Atlanta. Now, I'm not a big fan of Thursday night games because 1) I have work, 2) They're on NFL Network, 3) Teams have 3 days off and then practically a bye week after it, and 4) They're on NFL Network. My big worry is that we're going into one of the hardest places for a road team to win in the NFL though, the Falcons are nasty there. But it is an elite NFC team versus an elite AFC team, and with the exception of the Eagles' win today all of those games this season (that I can recall) have tilted in the favor of the Awesome Football Conference. :shifty:

Oh, and also a great thanks to Cam Cameron for finally realizing Ray Rice and Willis McGahee are two very good running backs and should be used as a regular part of the offense. If the Vikes ever start using AP regularly they might turn the corner.

You do know AP is leading the league in carries right? :shifty:

Yeah, I didn't realize anyone else had posted. I left the window up knowing I wanted to respond and when I got back to the tab I didn't refresh. But as bad as this year has been the Cowboys can at least look at it as an opportunity to tie up some loose ends (like the Garrett situation), get a fresh new coaching staff, and they'll have very high picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds to work with. They have a lot of talent (at least name wise, I don't know what their weaknesses exactly are as I haven't watched them) so if they can get a couple starters out of the draft and 1 or 2 more via FA this team might live up next year to what we thought they would be this year.

You mean two years from now right? :shifty:

• Like 1

He's averaging 22 carries a game right now but the Vikings would be a lot better suited with him getting 30 carries, it isn't like he plays a big role as a receiver.

He has 26 catches(2nd on team) with 267 yards(3rd on team). I really don't see how they aren't using him enough.

Farve is done, the receivers are shot to shit with Harvin and Rice being banged up all year, and Peterson is probably the best overall back in the entire league, there's no reason for him to only be getting 25 touches a game. He's not a small back and he's shown he can handle the load, getting 30 touches a game two years ago. Last year it wasn't needed to win games but this year it is and his back-up isn't as good as years past. I know it would be the most touches per game for any runningback but only by a few carries, no reason to lose games just because you only want Peterson to have 22 carries instead of 27.

Farve is done, the receivers are shot to shit with Harvin and Rice being banged up all year, and Peterson is probably the best overall back in the entire league, there's no reason for him to only be getting 25 touches a game. He's not a small back and he's shown he can handle the load, getting 30 touches a game two years ago. Last year it wasn't needed to win games but this year it is and his back-up isn't as good as years past. I know it would be the most touches per game for any runningback but only by a few carries, no reason to lose games just because you only want Peterson to have 22 carries instead of 27.

Toby Gerhart is the fucking man. I don't know what you're talking about. :shifty:

Why give Peterson an extra 80-120 touches this year when the team isn't going anywhere? I would think Minnesota wouldn't want a potential "Larry Johnson" situation on their hands in 2012.

• Like 1

It looks like Matt Stafford might miss the rest of the year. I feel bad for the Lions fans out there since they've had very little to cheer for ever since Sanders retired. They finally make a decent high end 1st round pick, but the guy's shoulders are made out of glass.

That is enough to make you want to give up on the Lions. This has to be the most fucked up, down on their luck franchise in sports. I am quite honestly not too interested in this season anymore. We went from being three minutes from turning our season around to having it flushed down the shitter.

I hope I get stationed in an area with a good pro football team. :(

It looks like Matt Stafford might miss the rest of the year. I feel bad for the Lions fans out there since they've had very little to cheer for ever since Sanders retired. They finally make a decent high end 1st round pick, but the guy's shoulders are made out of glass.

Did you see the tackle that broke his clavicle last year? That tackle would've broken Brady's clavicle too, so it's not his problem. The tackles he gets, he ends up landing on that shoulder - at least the one that put him out against the NYJ.

Isn't there some sort of special equipment they can put on his shoulders to protect it? Because the shoulder pads isn't enough.