The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

This happens every year when the Eagles blowout a subpar team. The fans get ahead of themselves and think they're going to win it all. It's a Philadelphia thing, and it doesn't necessarily pertain to just football. You just spanked a crappy Redskins team. Pull back on those reigns a little.

about infinity times ^ this.

Also, LOL at calling out other teams/people for being inconsistent. That's DeSean Jackson's middle name.

I mean hell, last night he had the first play .... and one other catch (Y)

Now, with the way that they're clicking right now ... yeah they look really damned good. But then so did the Giants until this weekend. So did the Patriots until last weekend. This is the fucking NFL. A few teams will go on a run during the season but the actual good teams will be around in the post-season and will be the teams that win in the playoffs.

Philly has yet to prove to be one of those teams.

Vick has already shown this year that if you hit him, he ain't Vick. Unfortunately you play in the NFC, the old school conference. All these teams do is hit you ... except for the Redskins, they lay on the turf while you stand in the pocket for 7.5 seconds <_<

In your next five games you go to Chicago, Dallas, NY ... and you play both NY and Dallas twice going forward. If you can go into the three places mentioned above (three places you've shit the bed more often than not) and get the job done then I'll gladly annoint you the favorites.

Until then though, sorry it ain't happening. There are more than one "tried and true" teams out there you've got to displace. It's going to take more than a video game win against a horrible team to do that. Especially when that horrible team is also one of the teams that has beaten you this year. That is much more telling than the video game win last night.

This happens every year when the Eagles blowout a subpar team. The fans get ahead of themselves and think they're going to win it all. It's a Philadelphia thing, and it doesn't necessarily pertain to just football. You just spanked a crappy Redskins team. Pull back on those reigns a little.

about infinity times ^ this.

Also, LOL at calling out other teams/people for being inconsistent. That's DeSean Jackson's middle name.

I mean hell, last night he had the first play .... and one other catch (Y)

Now, with the way that they're clicking right now ... yeah they look really damned good. But then so did the Giants until this weekend. So did the Patriots until last weekend. This is the fucking NFL. A few teams will go on a run during the season but the actual good teams will be around in the post-season and will be the teams that win in the playoffs.

Philly has yet to prove to be one of those teams.

Vick has already shown this year that if you hit him, he ain't Vick. Unfortunately you play in the NFC, the old school conference. All these teams do is hit you ... except for the Redskins, they lay on the turf while you stand in the pocket for 7.5 seconds <_<

In your next five games you go to Chicago, Dallas, NY ... and you play both NY and Dallas twice going forward. If you can go into the three places mentioned above (three places you've shit the bed more often than not) and get the job done then I'll gladly annoint you the favorites.

Well, I haven't anointed the Eagles to ANYTHING, but rather raising the idea that they COULD be the #1 team, instead of writing them off like you two have done. I am saying that there is still the possibility that they can be the #1 and to say no way not happening is ludicrous, as you have even just mentioned.. this is the NFL, anything can happen. Now, like I said, we will see about Philly and the Giants on Sunday and who has who's number.

Until then though, sorry it ain't happening. There are more than one "tried and true" teams out there you've got to displace. It's going to take more than a video game win against a horrible team to do that. Especially when that horrible team is also one of the teams that has beaten you this year. That is much more telling than the video game win last night.

This I have a problem with. The reason the Redskins won earlier in the season is that Kevin Kolb played 95% of the game and never threw the ball more than 1 yard downfield. So it isn't 'more telling' when we didn't even have our ACTUAL team in that game.

The reason the Redskins won earlier in the season is that Kevin Kolb played 95% of the game and never threw the ball more than 1 yard downfield. So it isn't 'more telling' when we didn't even have our ACTUAL team in that game.

You had your team, except for one player.

So basically your saying the only reason the Eagles are winning now is due to Mike Vick? If that's the case, what happens when he starts turning the ball over and losing confidence or even better, if he gets hurt? There's no way in hell he's continuing that insane level of play from this week over the coming games and to use that excuse for losing to the Redskins in Philly is pretty weak. Considering the Cowboys just whooped the Giants in NY with John Kitna under center. Kevin Kolb is arguably the best back-up in the league at the moment too. Great teams will find ways to win without an elite quarterback. See Patriots, Cassel.

I just can't wait until Osi and Tuck get their hands on Vick Sunday night, I'd love nothing more than a victory after the hype fest and mass circle-jerk that is sure to ensue across Philadelphi this week

Edited by The Cool One

Well, I haven't anointed the Eagles to ANYTHING, but rather raising the idea that they COULD be the #1 team, instead of writing them off like you two have done. I am saying that there is still the possibility that they can be the #1 and to say no way not happening is ludicrous, as you have even just mentioned.. this is the NFL, anything can happen. Now, like I said, we will see about Philly and the Giants on Sunday and who has who's number.

Writing them off ? What ?

I did, in fact say that they way they're playing right now ... just like the Giants were, and the Pats were ... and both came crashing back down to Earth rather abruptly in the last two weeks.

The point however has nothing to do with the team, but with Eagle Fan. Eagle Fan shouts it from the mountain top every time this kind of thing happens.

Yeah, last night was a fantastic game ... but uh, Oakland exploded for 59 but that isn't a very good indication of their team this year ... Denver just blew up all over the previously 'playing well' Chiefs but that hasn't been the norm for the Broncos (hey look another example of a team on a run that got grounded).

The point at hand, is that myself and everyone else isn't going to use last night as a reason to put the Eagles in the driver's seat ... because the Giants, Chiefs, Patriots, etc are perfect examples of why you don't do that ... However, Eagle Fan does do that exact thing every time last night happens.

This I have a problem with. The reason the Redskins won earlier in the season is that Kevin Kolb played 95% of the game and never threw the ball more than 1 yard downfield. So it isn't 'more telling' when we didn't even have our ACTUAL team in that game.

LOL, your ACTUAL team is one guy.

Writing them off ? What ?

I did, in fact say that they way they're playing right now ... just like the Giants were, and the Pats were ... and both came crashing back down to Earth rather abruptly in the last two weeks.

The point however has nothing to do with the team, but with Eagle Fan. Eagle Fan shouts it from the mountain top every time this kind of thing happens.

Yeah, last night was a fantastic game ... but uh, Oakland exploded for 59 but that isn't a very good indication of their team this year ... Denver just blew up all over the previously 'playing well' Chiefs but that hasn't been the norm for the Broncos (hey look another example of a team on a run that got grounded).

The point at hand, is that myself and everyone else isn't going to use last night as a reason to put theEagles in the driver's seat ... because the Giants, Chiefs, Patriots, etc are perfect examples of why you don't do that ... However, Eagle Fan does do that exact thing every time last night happens.

LOL, your ACTUAL team is one guy

1. OK, the argument sounded different earlier, but YES I will agree Most Eagles Fans are quick to pull the trigger and put them at the top of the mountain. But what I was arguing was that we CAN be the #1 team in the NFC, and there is no reason to say that at the end of the season we can't be, especially when like you even mention, the unpredictable aspect of the NFL this season. And clearly if our offense can play like they SHOULD, we could end up as #1 at the end of the regular season. But there is still a lot of football to go.

2. Yes, sadly, our team is 1 guy. The team looks 100% different with Vick as they do with Kolb. With Vick there seems to be more energy and they just look like a team with a fire. As an Eagles Fan I will even say that if Kolb is our QB, the team is mediocre. But with Vick, the team just plays a different game (and not just Vick's movement vs. Kolb's). More of a total team effort when Vick is in, just an observation. But my real issue was the Redskins game #1 being more telling than Redskins game #2. If Vick had played the entire game #1, I think it would have been a far different game as game #2 showed. I think Redskins game #2 is really what we are rather than game #1. Now do I think either game means a whole lot? No. Like I have stated before, I think Sunday is the big game, and we can hold off judgment until then.

Edited by Ron

Just read this at another message board:

Lukewarm to a proposed 18-game regular-season format by NFL owners, the NFL Players Association nevertheless has made what it says is a "good-faith" counterproposal that addresses the player safety risks incumbent with an expanded season.

The union's counterproposal, according to sources, includes significantly reduced voluntary offseason workouts and a specific number of helmetless and padless practices during training camp.

The highlights of the union proposal:

• Voluntary offseason workouts would be reduced from the current 14 weeks to five weeks or 20 days (four days a week, four-hour maximum per day).

• Significantly reduced contact between players during training camp with four practices a week consisting of helmetless and padless periods.

• Two in-season bye weeks.

• Expanded rosters from the current 53 to 56 or 57, in addition to practice squads.

• Increased pro-rated salaries for players under contract.

• Reduction of the amount of games players need to become vested to qualify for post-career health care and pension benefits.

An NFL spokesman said the league would not have a comment on the union's counterproposal, which was delivered to the league's labor negotiation team near the end of October without a response from management.

Despite optimistic public assertions made by high-profile owners such as Robert Kraft of the New England Patriots, there have been no substantive recent negotiations, nor are there any scheduled, on a new collective bargaining agreement. The owners will have their monthly labor meeting in mid-December in the Dallas area. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has stated that while there have been discussions, little progress has been made as both sides have prepared for a potential work stoppage in 2011.

"We have responded to every one of the league's proposals and concerns in an effort to keep negotiations progressing in good faith," said George Atallah, the NFLPA's assistant executive director of external affairs. "There are obvious concerns about an 18-game season in the absence of real information that we await."

Asked to describe "real information" that the union awaits, Atallah said, "injury data, financial information and a logical explanation as to why they are canceling their obligation to post-career health care [next March when the current CBA expires]."

In response to Atallah's description on health care, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello recirculated the management position on funding of current player benefits if there is a work stoppage: "This is yet one more reason to get back to the bargaining table and get an agreement. But there is no question that a strike or lockout triggers rights under a federal law known as COBRA that allows employees to continue their existing health insurance coverage without interruption or change in terms -- either at their expense or their union's expense. This means that no player or family member would experience any change in coverage for so much as a single day because of a work stoppage. The union surely knows this and there is no excuse suggesting otherwise."

The NFL's proposal for an 18-game regular season remains unavailable but sources said the league has called for a reduction from 14 weeks on voluntary workouts to 12. The union's five-week proposal is a stark contrast, although the NFLPA will allow for rookie exceptions as first-year players are integrated into the league.

The NFL also has proposed one bye week after the second of two preseason games in addition to one bye in-season, the sources added. The union wants both byes to be in-season.

Furthermore, union sources say that owners have proposed just one expanded roster spot, from 53 to 54, for an 18-game regular season.

The NFL calendar would undergo significant changes under an 18-game format with two byes, including the possibility that the Super Bowl will be played on President's Day weekend -- three weeks into February. However, there is still discussion of beginning the season one week earlier, on Labor Day, a practice the NFL has forsaken the past several years.

It's possible training camps would begin in late June with at least one break before resuming for preseason preparations, a source said.

Unrelated to the 18-game schedule, also remaining on the table are proposals from each side to include a rookie hard wage scale that could be in effect as early as the 2011 draft. However, whereas the owners want the $200 million on projected rookie wage savings redistributed with $100 million to improved retired player pensions and health care and the remaining $100 million to simply be available in the system with an increased pay-for-performance pool, the union wants the owners to match the $100 million savings on retired players.

Aiello's league response: "We proposed to the union prior to the 2010 season adopting a rookie wage scale for this year [2010] and redistributing the first $100 million to improve retired player pensions and health care. We were prepared to take this step immediately without a fully negotiated CBA in order to get help to retired players now. The union rejected the proposal."

Aiello added that the league already has committed that retired player benefits would continue even if the CBA expires without a new agreement.

"The pregame altercation got us going. It had us ready. We came back into the locker room pumped," Jackson said, via the AP.

"We were like pit bulls, ready to get out of the cage."

DeSean Jackson is a man who has a way with words.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/DeSean-Jackson-s-unfortunate-word-choice-Eagles?urn=nfl-286299

I was expecting the two bye weeks to come up. The last time they went with two bye weeks in a season it had the networks crying because of some of the "premier" matchups they had to show. With the age of parity as it is, assuming the cap comes back, there will likely be a major matchup every week. Hopefully they also make Thursday night games played only by teams coming off a bye week on top of this, obviously for player safety.

"The pregame altercation got us going. It had us ready. We came back into the locker room pumped," Jackson said, via the AP.

"We were like pit bulls, ready to get out of the cage."

DeSean Jackson is a man who has a way with words.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/DeSean-Jackson-s-unfortunate-word-choice-Eagles?urn=nfl-286299

Nothing was better than "We gonna sting em in they ass"

I wasn't writing the Eagles off at all. They have just as good a shot as anyone, because the NFC is fucking dreadful this year. The Eagles could very well make it to the Super Bowl. My point was Eagle fans always get ahead of themselves. Which is completely understandable. When you don't have any Super Bowl championships to compare it to, it's pretty much impossible to tell if you're on the right course. :P

If we're gonna play this game, then Oakland should be 7-2, beating Arizona and San Francisco, and the Super Bowl goes through Oakland! TEAM OF DESTINY! COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE! WE'RE BACK!

Buffalo!

Tatonka!

Who remembers what happened the last time the NFC was "dreadful" and the AFC was "guaranteed" a championship?

david_tyree_catch.jpgEli-Manning-Super-Bowl-XLII-MVP.jpg

:shifty:

If I do recall correctly, I wasn't writing the Giants off in that game. It's called defense wins championships. Especially defensive lines that can pressure the QB on every single play.