The 2010 NFL Thread

Vendetta

John Fox is the new Head Coach in Denver to try and shore up that defense.

And Cam Newton will again be getting money to play football next season. This time around though, it'll be completely legal.

You mean this season's wasn't legal? He sure didn't get punish for that one, he must've been innocent.

The Titans got rid of/are getting rid of Vince Young, which is a good thing. I think he can be declared a bust, because while he's a decent QB he's usually benched either due to injuries or mental issues. That's fine if you're a designated backup QB and getting paid backup money, but NOT when you're supposed to be the starter. Unfortunately, they're not getting rid of Jeff Fisher, apparently. I can kind of see giving Fisher one more year, but seriously, unless they make (or just miss making) the playoffs next year, it'll be time for him to go.

Next year I think the Redskins will cut their own throats. McNabb isn't the only one to blame for Washington's problems. For one thing, they need to throw to Cooley a lot more - especially when in scoring positions - and Kyle Shanahan probably wouldn't be able to get a job in the NFL without father unless he had damning blackmail material.

I don't see why John Fox was such a hot commodity. The guy gets way too much credit for "turning Carolina around". Most of their big acquisitions on the Super Bowl team were there before he arrived, he brought skilled coaching but in terms of personnel he's atrocious. Look at the names on Carolina when he arrived, and look at the names now. The guy can coach, but he can't identify talent at all.

The Titans got rid of/are getting rid of Vince Young, which is a good thing. I think he can be declared a bust, because while he's a decent QB he's usually benched either due to injuries or mental issues. That's fine if you're a designated backup QB and getting paid backup money, but NOT when you're supposed to be the starter. Unfortunately, they're not getting rid of Jeff Fisher, apparently. I can kind of see giving Fisher one more year, but seriously, unless they make (or just miss making) the playoffs next year, it'll be time for him to go.

Next year I think the Redskins will cut their own throats. McNabb isn't the only one to blame for Washington's problems. For one thing, they need to throw to Cooley a lot more - especially when in scoring positions - and Kyle Shanahan probably wouldn't be able to get a job in the NFL without father unless he had damning blackmail material.

Fisher should have to do a lot more than just make the playoffs. He has to be one of the most overrated coaches ever, in any sport. And unless I missed somebody, I looked it up and he is the longest reigning coach in major American professional sports history to never win a Championship.

No one has coached one team for 16 years without winning at least one title.

The winner for coaching one team without winning a title during your tenure is Bud Grant who coached the Vikings for 18 years and all he managed to do was lose 4 Super Bowls.

Honorable mentions are Bill Cowher who went 13 years with the same team and then won a title in his 14th, Schottenheimer has been with 3 different teams but in 23 seasons has never even been to a Super Bowl, Chuck Knox is the same situation but with one less year, Marv Levy coached 17 years without a championship.

There is also the case of Don Shula who went like 21 years after he won his initial Super Bowls. Obviously doesn't count, but the guy coached for two decades without winning a title.

The winner for coaching one team without winning a title during your tenure is Bud Grant who coached the Vikings for 18 years and all he managed to do was lose 4 Super Bowls.

Honorable mentions are Bill Cowher who went 13 years with the same team and then won a title in his 14th, Schottenheimer has been with 3 different teams but in 23 seasons has never even been to a Super Bowl, Chuck Knox is the same situation but with one less year, Marv Levy coached 17 years without a championship.

There is also the case of Don Shula who went like 21 years after he won his initial Super Bowls. Obviously doesn't count, but the guy coached for two decades without winning a title.

Wow not sure how I missed Bud Grant and Marv Levy.

If Jeff Fisher is in Tennessee for two more season he'll tie the record. I will be sure to take note.

Thanks!

Wow not sure how I missed Bud Grant and Marv Levy.

If Jeff Fisher is in Tennessee for two more season he'll tie the record. I will be sure to take note.

Thanks!

Missing Bud Grant is forgivable because, really, I didn't even know the Vikings played football in the 80's. I thought the franchise was put on hold during that decade. And technically one of his titles was pre-merger and so it's a NFL Championship. But really, they 1969 Vikings will always be Super Bowl losers so what's the point?

To be fair, Fisher was a few yards/one play away from winning a Super Bowl.

There have been a few seasons where the Titans didn't do too good due to a combinations of the QBs sucking and players being injured, but that still doesn't justify Jeff Fisher still being the head coach.

Regardless of the outcome (actually fuck that, go Ravens) of today's game I'm expecting an all-time classic duel. Part of me feels like this is the culmination of an era of the entire rivalry, like Flair-Steamboat at Wrestlewar 89. The next generation will probably carry the torch, but someone needs to frame either Mike Wallace or Michael Oher as sleeping with the other's girlfriend. We totally can't have them be all buddy-buddy, it ruins the rivalry.

If the Jets win I'll eat my hat, and buy you a steak.

You're on. I'll let you off easier. You can buy something off my Amazon wishlist instead. (Y)

Btw, move over Manning/Brady, Rodgers/Ryan is the new yearly playoff match up we'll look forward to.

Edited by sahyder1
  • Like 1