EWR 2010 Stats Update: March

Would it be fair to say that Josh Barnett should have a massive rise in tech? The guy is well versed in catch wrestling to the point that he can enter Brazillian Jiu Jitsu competitions and beat black belts. In fact he was awarded his black belt in BJJ because of this. He probably knows more submissions than I've had hot dinners plus can bust out some nice looking suplexes in his pro wrestling matches. Just thinking that Severn always had a super high tech rating so why shouldn't Barnett?

Would it be fair to say that Josh Barnett should have a massive rise in tech? The guy is well versed in catch wrestling to the point that he can enter Brazillian Jiu Jitsu competitions and beat black belts. In fact he was awarded his black belt in BJJ because of this. He probably knows more submissions than I've had hot dinners plus can bust out some nice looking suplexes in his pro wrestling matches. Just thinking that Severn always had a super high tech rating so why shouldn't Barnett?

Never heard or seen any of his matches, You should say what a better tech would be for him

Never heard or seen any of his matches, You should say what a better tech would be for him

Well based on his knowledge, I'd say it should be over 80 (personally I'd like to see it between 84-88 as I believe he could hang with ). If it was based against Dan Severn, who I believe used to have a 92 tech, I'd give Barnett a 93 or 94 but that may have been from a different source of updates so that may a bit high. As a reference www.mmacore.com rate his grappling as a 9.2 and submissions as a 9.1 out of 10 whereas Dan Severn has a 8.8 grappling, 6.8 submissions.

Guest The Phenomenal Red

Well based on his knowledge, I'd say it should be over 80 (personally I'd like to see it between 84-88 as I believe he could hang with ). If it was based against Dan Severn, who I believe used to have a 92 tech, I'd give Barnett a 93 or 94 but that may have been from a different source of updates so that may a bit high. As a reference www.mmacore.com rate his grappling as a 9.2 and submissions as a 9.1 out of 10 whereas Dan Severn has a 8.8 grappling, 6.8 submissions.

I'd say give him 65 technical. MMA is NOT the same as pro-wrestling with grappling. All this would do is make him a shooter.

• Like 2

I'd say give him 65 technical. MMA is NOT the same as pro-wrestling with grappling. All this would do is make him a shooter.

Really? He is arguably the best active catch wrestler around today. Pro wrestling in the States derived from catch wrestling (J.R used to even get excited and mention catch as catch can when guys like Benoit and Angle were putting on a technical clinic), thus they use many of the same moves. So shouldn't a guy that is highly proficient in catch wrestling (where moves like the sleeper hold, cross arm breaker, seated armbar, Indian deathlock and keylock originated (credit: wiki)) be given a decent tech rating?

• Like 1

Really? He is arguably the best active catch wrestler around today. Pro wrestling in the States derived from catch wrestling (J.R used to even get excited and mention catch as catch can when guys like Benoit and Angle were putting on a technical clinic), thus they use many of the same moves. So shouldn't a guy that is highly proficient in catch wrestling (where moves like the sleeper hold, cross arm breaker, seated armbar, Indian deathlock and keylock originated (credit: wiki)) be given a decent tech rating?

He could get a good tech rating for being able to do the moves right but to use them in the proficiency of a pro wrestling match is another thing, its one thing to do the moves, its another to be able to do a match with them, look at Ken Shamrock for example, he was a top MMA guy who went to WWF now watch those early matches and I do mean his first WWF matches and the guy is green, he could do the moves but could do fuck all in the context of a wrestling match.

I would agree that due to this background he would be more versed than some workers in terms of technical stats like Show and Khali but because he can do these moves in MMA doesn’t put him up there with Angle and Danielson.

This is easier to justify my case now I have EWR in front of me.

TheWho87: That's fair enough and I agree he does lack that smooth transition from one move to the next that Angle and Danielson have mastered after years of training/matches. However, IMO he displays greater technical proficiency in his pro wrestling matches than Don Frye (tech 73 9I think this should be a 75)) Dan Severn (70) and Ken Shamrock (76) by a reasonable amount that should earn him an 80 if not higher. In the end I'm not the one who updates so from here, I'll rest my case.

Guest The Phenomenal Red

In other news, JR should be a road agent now. He said on his blog how WWE reassigned him from doing commentary to being a talent scout.

"JR is NOT retiring. It's tempting and financially doable but I want to work a few more years in a role that is fun and not as laden with stress as some of my previous assignments have been.

No I am not 'vanishing.' LIfe is so good here in Norman and I have a tremendous amount of things to look forward to although I know that I have not broadcast my last event. One doesn't do something for over 35 years and stop cold turkey or at least I don't.

There are no issues or problems with my negotiations with WWE. The ball is in WWE's court to put together a new role for me within the company. Essentially they have decided to reassign me from weekly broadcasting and that includes the monthly PPV's to focus on other areas of the company. I am guessing, and I stress guessing, that may be some form of scouting and/or talent development. I might be wrong on that assumption but I'll know before the end of April as that is when my current extension expires."

Should be done by Friday morning (April 2nd) before 7 AM EST. All's I really need to do is update ages for March birthmonths and I think I'm feeling well enough to get that done. Might try to get more done if I have more time throughout the night, but we'll see.

-Bill

• Like 2

Should be done by Friday morning (April 2nd) before 7 AM EST. All's I really need to do is update ages for March birthmonths and I think I'm feeling well enough to get that done. Might try to get more done if I have more time throughout the night, but we'll see.

-Bill

Good to see you pulled through well....

Can't wait, it should be good to play....

For those who are curious, that will be 10 pm Australia time

So I'll have the Split Data up in the morning (AEST)