Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

Unreal that baseball writers actually saw the light and gave the award to the guy who was beyond obviously the best AL pitcher this year. I want to know the number of how many losses he had because his team couldn't manufacture even a run. If it was a record we'd probably know, but I'm sure it's got to be close to said record whatever it is.

Only person that has had a season remotely like it is Randy Johnson.

Joey Votto won NL MVP with 31 of 32 first place votes. It's not like Pujols was in a class below or anything, but there was enough of a gap between the two to make it a pretty easy decision. My question is who left Pujols out of their top 5? Either someone hates the Cards or is just insane. Also whoever put Ryan Howard 2nd on their ballot should lose their vote. That's just absurd.

Joey Votto won NL MVP with 31 of 32 first place votes. It's not like Pujols was in a class below or anything, but there was enough of a gap between the two to make it a pretty easy decision. My question is who left Pujols out of their top 5? Either someone hates the Cards or is just insane. Also whoever put Ryan Howard 2nd on their ballot should lose their vote. That's just absurd.

As a Reds fan, I'm damn glad - and proud - that Joey Votto won it. I've with you that it was probably a Cards hater who left Pujols out (or someone who believes he might be on the juice), but whoever had Ryan Howard #2 on their ballot needs a mental exam.

For the record, I don't believe Pujols is on the juice. I believe pitchers need to start using baseballs made out of Kryptonite when they pitch against him!

Edited by GhostMachine

Josh Hamilton is your AL MVP (358 pts, 22 1st, 2 4ths <_<). I agreed with basically everything other than the Gold Gloves this year. Cabrera 2nd (262 pts 5 1st), Cano 3rd (229 0 1st), Bautista 4th (1 1st, not sure of pts).

Edited by naiwf

The BBWAA pretty much nailed the awards voting this year. Not that Josh Hamilton was that hard a choice. Cabrera was in the same ballpark at the plate (though Hamilton was still better), but given Hamilton's GG caliber defense it was an easy choice, much easier than the NL. As much as I loved watching Jose Bautista this year and I'm happy to see him find his way onto all 28 ballots (although how 10 writers managed to have him outside their top 5 is beyond me), there wasn't a valid argument to be made for him. Thought he was top 3, but they got #1 absolutely right.

Victor Martinez is heading to Detroit, 4 yrs $50M total... so the rumors say.

Just shows you how weak the FA catching crop is this year. V-Mart is a Catch 22. He's got an above average bat for a catcher, but he can't catch. He won't do as much damage as a 1B or DH, but his bat isn't really a premium by those positions' standards. Plus they've got Alex Avila upcoming who may end up being a plus hitter and catcher, and he'll need playing time. And he'll be 36 by the time this contract's up. Contracts like these make the case for why teams should take all that FA money and just completely divert it into scouting and development. The premium catchers like the Mauer's or McCann's or Molina's (for the purpose of this example we'll go with Yadier) just don't become available on the open market. They just dropped 12.5 per over 4 years as well as forfeited a first round draft pick for a catcher who if all goes well may be out of a job by the end of the first season.

As a Tigers fan I'm happy with the signing of V-Mart.

He's one of the few catchers in the league who can hit .300. And he can be an RBI machine, especially in Detroit. Plus now they'll think twice about walking Cabrera every single time there is a guy on base.

He's not a good defensive catcher anymore, but he's not as bad as people make it seem either. I think he'll split time between Catcher and DH. Alex Avila is a good prospect, but he didn't exactly show last year that he's ready to be a full time catcher. And if he does prove it, Martinez will be the DH full time. There's no way he is out of a job at the end of the season.

The average at Comerica worries me, but I think he'll adjust. Comerica is a different kind of park and so it takes some time to adjust to it. The first month might be rough, but Martinez is a veteran and he'll figure it out. He's going to get close to .300 or better considering he'll be in front or behind Cabrera. And he'll get close to or over 100 RBI for the same reason. The HR's might be what takes a hit though, because Comerica just isn't a homer friendly park.

I meant that if all goes well he'll be out of a catching job by the end of the season. And if that happens he'll be an average hitting DH making $12.5 million a season. And his defensive abilities really aren't underrated. Among everyday catchers last year he statistically had the second worst throwing arm and was 2nd last in DRS (defensive runs saved). Last in both categories was John Buck. If they're cool with having a bad catcher who can't throw in a division with Grady Sizemore, Shin Soo Choo, Juan Pierre, Alex Rios and Denard Span then that's fun, but they're going to pay for it. Financially and competitively.