Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

Nationals are supposedly in the Cliff Lee mix. Ken Rosenthal just sent out a tweet saying he thinks someone will go 7 years for Lee and that it won't be the Yankees. Nationals about to go big again?

Better yet, why didn't they just go big on Lee and save their money on Werth? Lee's the kind of arm that could actually not be a total disaster at the end of a 7 year deal and he's proven himself to be much more of a premium player than Werth.

So Shaun Marcum was traded to the Brewers for second base prospect Bret Lawrie. Rumours are that it's a prelude to a Greinke deal.

I don't get this logic, although I've heard it so many times. So you trade Marcum, a 3.5 win player, to the Brewers, then trade the return for Marcum along with Drabek and some other high ceiling prospects (Hechavarria/Gose/Stewart) for Greinke, a 5.1 win player. Lawrie is harder to project so if you consider taking Marcum out of the lineup as well as Drabek who could very well have been a 2.5 win player in 2010 (and substantially better over the 6 years you have him for), then you add one or two other players who if they hit their ceiling could be star level players, is Greinke worth the 2 year boost? Don't see it at all. A team knocking on the door of contention might make this move. A team that is missing 3 corner position players and just had its bullpen substantially depleted doesn't make this move, not if their heads are screwed on right.

On ESPN you can find out how long it takes Jayson Werth to make your annual salary.

.17 games! And it will take me 900 years to make his.

I dunno about the Orioles, but the Jays could and would find success in the NL East. Were it not for the absolute futility of trying to spend against the Yankees and BoSox, the Jays have a regional population that could quite easily support a payroll between 125-140 million. But keep being cocky. In a few years when the Jays, Red Sox and Rays all have rich minor league systems that consistently fuel their big league rosters with elite level players while the Yanks are struggling to finish 3rd because ARod's become a barely above league average player, Jeter is a corpse at short, Tex, CC and AJ are well into their decline phases and you traded away a future 50 HR hitter in Jesus Montero for some stopgap that'll break down in his mid-30s the turnaround will be orgasmic schadenfreude.

• Like 1