Major League Baseball 2010

Toe

People have been saying that the Yankees are too old for about a decade now. There will always be a Royal, or Athletic, or Pirate, or Marlin, or Oriole who becomes a free agent. We'll be alright. :)

I hope you realize you basically just made the case for not only why the Yankees are hated, but why they SHOULD be hated.

Rumor going around Philly is that the Phils are trying to get Greinke.

False rumour that was started by a fake Jon Heyman twitter account.

People have been saying that the Yankees are too old for about a decade now. There will always be a Royal, or Athletic, or Pirate, or Marlin, or Oriole who becomes a free agent. We'll be alright. :)

I hope you realize you basically just made the case for not only why the Yankees are hated, but why they SHOULD be hated.

Let me just start off by saying I'm not a blind Yankee fan. I'm well aware we spend more (way, way, way more in some cases) than other teams when it comes to acquiring talent. It only makes sense for the fans of teams that attempt to build a team through scouting, drafting, and strategic financing despise the Yankee ballclub. I do realize that was the case I made, because I don't hide from that fact.

That said, the Yankees are still a well-run organization. Should the Yankee higher-ups invest all the money they spend on free agents into scouting and their farm system, hell, we could be an even more dominating team. But that's just not how it works with this ball club. Yes, in the 80's and early 90's the Yankees struggled, but they have always had a "Win Now" mentality. Why it's so important to spend all that money on big names instead of sending their scout to Bumfuck, Iowa to check out the next pitching prodigy, I couldn't tell you. I'm not in the meetings. But that's the way they choose to run their franchise.

Now, do I agree with it? Not really. As said, I'd love for us to invest half the money we spent on Tex, CC, and AJ alone into our scouting and bring in some 19 and 20 year old wonderkids. Is it unfair? Sure, it's about as unfair that my wife is driving around in a 2000 Chevy Cavalier while a doctor is driving his BMW sportscar. But he has the money to own that car, we don't. It's unfortunately a fact of life that life ain't fair. If the Yankees have the money to spend, should they not be allowed to spend it? If there is no salary cap, why not? And this may come as a shock: I'm a Yankee fan completely FOR a salary cap. Because then we'd be forced to spend all that money on our farm systtem and scouting.

In conclussion, yes, I completely understand the hate. And I don't shy away from it, I'd rather discuss it. I give people a lot of crap, and make a lot of stupid jokes (like saying CC should've won the Cy Young or Cano the MVP), because I'm a cornball jokester. The very first blanket I was wrapped in on the day I was born was white with navy pinstripes. My first word was "ball", I got my first name after Don Mattingly, and my earliest memory is being at Yankee stadium watching frickin' Matt Nokes hit a homerun (and cried, because I thought that meant we were going to lose). The Yanks could spend $450 million a year, or lose 161 games a season, and I'd still love them. It's etched in my brain more than the sky being blue and the grass being green. I don't know where I was going with all that, but yes, I realize that's why they're hated. :shifty:

So, any new news on the Cliff Lee situation since Thursday? I want to find out if I'll still like him next season or if I'll be hoping he'll need Tommy John surgery before spring training is over he'll be pitching for the Yankees.

I hope the Rangers can work out a deal to keep him, but due to their financial situation, I'll be stunned if they do.

He reportedly leaves $50 million on the table. Gets to be a #2 starter behind Halladay. Oswalt and Hamels are a nice 3 and 4. Hats off to Cliff Lee. I hate Philly but I respect Lee a lot more. I wonder how much did the New York crowd harassing his family during the playoffs came into play here.

He reportedly leaves $50 million on the table. Gets to be a #2 starter behind Halladay. Oswalt and Hamels are a nice 3 and 4. Hats off to Cliff Lee. I hate Philly but I respect Lee a lot more. I wonder how much did the New York crowd harassing his family during the playoffs came into play here.

Oh, I'm sure that's exactly what it was. The dude was treated like royalty here in Philly. Our loudmouth, no-class fans fucked us over big time on this one.

This is a disaster for the Yankees. The Red Sox get much better, and then the Yankees don't get Lee. I don't consider Greinke a worthwhile Plan B. What I hate about this is now we're probably going to have to part ways with Jesus Montero to get a big arm which means I'm going to have to watch more of boring old Jorge.

This is a disaster for the Yankees. The Red Sox get much better, and then the Yankees don't get Lee. I don't consider Greinke a worthwhile Plan B. What I hate about this is now we're probably going to have to part ways with Jesus Montero to get a big arm which means I'm going to have to watch more of boring old Jorge.

Yankees beat writers have been saying on twitter that the Yankees do not want Grienke.

You know how Jorge is a terrible catcher? Well, he's light years ahead of Montero. Montero might have to be moved just because of the eventual glutton of 1B/DH types with Tex under a long term deal and A-Rod's declining mobility likely necessitating a move to DH eventually (okay not so much glutton as two gigantic long term unmovable contracts that necessitate playing time). Trouble is, what impact starter is available? They're not sure Greinke is viable in NYC. King Felix just signed a long term extension so I can't imagine the M's would move him. Angels have no reason to move Dan Haren. Doubt the Tigers would shop Verlander given all the money they just spent. And obviously the glut of starters in the Sox, Giants and Phils rotations are off the table. Josh Johnson just got extended. Maybe take a flyer on guys like Brandon Webb to see if he still has anything? Pavano's obviously not a realistic target.

As for catcher, they probably sign Russell Martin and let him split duties with Cervelli while sticking Posada at DH. Doubt the Yanks will let themselves be outbid again for a player, especially by the Red Sox with those two being Martin's primary suitors.

Anyway I never followed up on Meac's post Friday, which was full of good points. I must also say that I'm not an irrational Yankee hater who can't see that they are most often a well run organization who builds in what really is the best way for them to build. They're the most iconic sports brand in the world, and to maintain that they have to maintain their status as the preeminent sports franchise in baseball. And understanding all those things, I must still conclude this post with a :w00t:

THANK YOU CLIFF

I think they should take that flier on Brandon Webb. Make it an option contract that really can't hurt. My Plan B would honestly be try to lure Johan Santana from the Mets, if the Mets are in some sort of rebuilding mode. Johan is still a great pitcher, in my opinion, but his value has never been lower. But, if the Mets believe they can make the playoffs which they should, they would never give up Johan.

Ok..so I'm assuming our rotation is Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels..to be honest, who REALLY stands a chance against that?

YES! This is awesome news as a Phillies fan. I had read earlier in the day that we were the mystery team, but never really expected him to pick us.

As awesome as it is however, to win we are still going to need to score runs. The pitching was there last year but the offense let us down. So hopefully we can move Blanton for the right-handed bat we need.

Ok..so I'm assuming our rotation is Halladay, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels..to be honest, who REALLY stands a chance against that?

The Giants just beat that rotation last year. Yes it was minus Lee but they beat Halladay twice. That being said, it is one hell of a rotation even after they trade Blanton. Kendrick will be fine as the 5th starter.