The 2010 Summer transfer thread

Unfortunately we can't exactly follow the J-League model. I'd love for huge corporations to own the clubs so that the money for infastructure/youth/development/etc was there. That just isn't how it works here though.

I love their 100 year Vision though. Fantastic initiative.

so yeah, we opted for "just get Thierry Henry"

I think when it comes to guys like Henry and Beckham it's well worth paying the extra wages since the name value alone will work wonders. Guys like Abel Xavier, perhaps not :shifty:

I agree 100% and love that they're doing it. I don't care why they came over, simple fact is that David Beckham has been an LA Galaxy player and an MLS representative since '07.

While the "MLS diehards" hate these "overaged nothing left in the tank just want to get paid has beens" ... I scoff/mock/laugh at them for the idiots they are. As he showed at Milan, clearly Beckham had nothing left in the tank :rolleyes: ... Henry has PLENTY left in him, especially for a level like the MLS.

I'll take all of your 31-35 year old proven players and have them come give 1-4 years to the MLS rather than waste away in their home country or go chasing the last ounce of football in their body (Paul Dickov - although he tried out with Toronto) at some random League 1/2 side.

Pretty surprised at that move, but I guess if Barca and Real didn't want him there was no point in ignoring all the money Man City could throw at him to stay on the sinking ship that is Valencia. Not sure if he'll be a good signing yet tbh, I've always got reservations about this type of player. But at least it shows their intent.

Looking at the Fulham squad if it was at all possible for Hodgson to bring people with him to Liverpool, I'd take Dempsey, Hangelaand and probably Danny Murphy, I know he's 33 but I still have a fondness for him. :shifty:

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA gotta love the smarties over at MLSSOCCER.com

While everything has been known for a while the announcement of Henry hasn't been made "official" for several obvious reasons. However, in their recent power rankings, they do a good job of e'ffing things up:

Check out the Red Bulls quote

Well, he is French.

and a cunt.

Seriously though, that's a great move for the MLS regardless of how old and slow Henry has gotten. He'll sell shirts there by the tonne and that's important for the MLS .

Edited by The Cool One

Also as I read from Hamster (I think) saying the league would become top heavy... so what? Pretty much every football league on the planet only has 3 or 4 teams that win it's title. Especially in places like Europe. Still a salary cap is a good idea and the more the MLS teams have to use national talent, the better the US (And hopefully Canada) teams should get.

But yes, most leagues are top heavy.

He might have meant me, I did say that locations like LA and New York will find it easier to attract players like Henry and Beckham and if the big stars come in it could make things lopsided. It was only a sidenote, though. I wasn't saying it would lead to the downfall of all mankind or anything.

If Man City add an elite striker and a good central defender then they have a major shout of winning the league this season and that's a scary thought considering how shit they were a few years ago.

Current strikers on the Manchester City Payroll:

Jo

Carlos Tevez

Roque Santa Cruz

Emmanuel Adebayor

Craig Bellamy

Felipe Caicedo

Valeri Boijnov

In fairness, I think they could do just about right with those guys anyway. I get the feeling that they know that it's pretty harsh to just force players out of the club if they have big contracts... so are just happy to loan them out until the contracts expire and not buying anyone else until they've cleared people out.

Torres MIGHT be good... but I'm thinking City might play with only one striker next season.

Edited by The General