R.I.P game manuals

Docpepper

I was reading the editor's not in the latest Game Informer magazine. Ubisoft is getting rid of game manuals and getting new game cases in an effort to go green.Most manuals these days are only a few pages anyway but when i get a new guy I love reading through the manual while the game is loading.Gamers will be able to read the manual while in the game but i just doesn't seem right to me.

If they wanted to go green get rid of the strategy guides,but no they want do that because they can make money off the strategy guides. I hope this new case won't mean an increase in the game price.

Ubisoft to get rid of game manuals.

There's a PC shop near me that's had copies of Blood II and Microsoft Flight Simulator on display in the window for at least the ten years I've lived here, faded to fuck, but still given pride of place in the shop, in their enormous old boxes. Love it.

• Like 1

Don't buy any of this "going green" crap. They're cutting manuals and making smaller boxes so they can save money. They'd gladly shit nuclear waste directly on the world's last tree if someone paid them enough money. Videogame companies are just as greedy and profit oriented as movie and music producers so don't buy that "save the whales" bullshit for a second. This is a dollars and cents decision.

• Like 13

One type of my favourite Manuals were one's that always gave you a backstory to what has happened, eg. Battlefield Bad Company did it and so did a few others, But again my all-time favorite manuals were the ones included with Football Manager, They usually had 100+ pages and actually really helped you in-game

Edited by DJ Ice

I think the only manuels I really look at these days are the ones that are like frikkin bricks, such as Civilization, but that's largely from a reaction of "What the hell is IN this thing?".

Beyond that, the only ones I hold any love/nostalgia for are those for the Mega Drive. They only had about 5 relevant sentences per page since the same thin column of text was repeated across them in several different languages, but damn it, it's not like they needed to say much anyway. :shifty:

And the Mega Drive ones left pages in the back blank for notes. In other words, cheat codes.

I remember writing the sound test sequence in the back of the Sonic 2 manual for the level select cheat. :)

• Like 2

I think manuals are becoming a little redundant when you can get in depth tutorials in game as well as explanations of controls and stuff. Plus access to information online.

It's been coming though. EA manuals seem to have been about 5 pages for years now.

Did anyone ever use the notes section that you'd sometimes get at the back of some manuals?

Edit: Clearly TMW did. >_<

• Like 1

Eh. I used to like reading them back on the PSX days but nowadays they barely get a cursory glance, due to as someone mentioned, a combination of ingame tutorials being all over the place, and the internet. I probably won't notice when they go, but I did like things like the MGS manual, that had a little bio for the characters, and a timeline, stuff like that.