2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Beasley dumped to the Wolves for air

The Heat and Timberwolves have agreed on a trade that will send Michael Beasley to Minnesota.

Minnesota will absorb Beasley's salary using their cap space and will send a second round pick in 2011. Sources say the two teams will also agree to swap a first round pick in the future.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68002/20100708/wolves_to_acquire_michael_beasley/#ixzz0tA7ogEx1

I bet Byron Scott is kicking himself tonight. He'll be gone in a couple of years and that Lakers job won't be open anymore once Phil calls it quits.

I use the analogy of someone thinking they're buying a Porsche and the seller pulls up in a rusty Dodge Dart with a cracked windshield and a dragging bumper. And an 8-track. :shifty:

4 Quarters' musical theme for Monday will be "songs from the LeBron/Cleveland breakup." Thinking about "Don't Want You Back" by Eamon, but need a few songs from the dumper's perspective. Any suggestions?

LeBron's the biggest piece of shit there is in sports

He's a liar, a quitter, a douchebag, a self centered egomaniac, and a complete scumbag who is not good enough to ever win a title as a no.1

Dan Gilbert is also my fucking hero.

Edited by Mofoticon

He's a liar, a quitter, a douchebag, a self centered egomaniac, and a complete scumbag who is not good enough to ever win a title as a no.1

Hey, don't blame LeBron for cashing in on a broken system. Blame Dan Gilbert for letting the star player go to free agency then bitch about it like it's a travesty above all else. He had no problem taking other teams players who were beloved in their cities and scoffed at loyalty but when it happens to him, he wants to bitch? Don't work that way.

• Like 1

Hey, don't blame LeBron for cashing in on a broken system. Blame Dan Gilbert for letting the star player go to free agency then bitch about it like it's a travesty above all else. He had no problem taking other teams players who were beloved in their cities and scoffed at loyalty but when it happens to him, he wants to bitch? Don't work that way.

Who exactly did Cleveland take away from another city that was loved? Nobody...awful comparison

Who exactly did Cleveland take away from another city that was loved? Nobody...awful comparison

It's not; I just didn't explain it fully.

Let's say the shoe was on the other foot and Cleveland somehow signed LeBron, Bosh, and Wade or the combo tandum of LeBron & Bosh/Wade/Amar'e/Boozer. In essence, Cleveland would've been doing the same thing Miami and LeBron were being accused of by stealing a star from a team and city that showed them love and admiration for the last few years. Granted, they're not hometown boys like LeBron but the closest would be Wade who's treated Miami like it's his second hometown. If the shoe were on the other foot, Cleveland would be viewed in the same light, and Dan Gilbert wouldn't have given a flying fuck about loyalty in that instance.

• Like 1

I'm just glad its over with so all the shows on ESPN will have to find something else to talk about after this weekend (Because they'll milk it for all its worth; LeBron going to Miami will definitely be one of the topics during 1st and 10 on First Take, and Mike and Mike (well, Greenberg, anyway; I think Golic is off this week) will be talking about it with some reporters and experts. And Michelle Beadle on SportsNation will definitely have something to say. (I almost think she wants to fuck him!)

Lebron seems to be the basketball equivalent of Tom Brady, when it comes to ESPN. Namely, the player they most like to give a verbal dick-sucking to. The only difference is Brady has actually won championships.

I figured he'd go to Miami as soon as I heard they signed Chris Bosh, but thought there might be a chance he'd stay in Cleveland since its home state's team. The only teams I figured never had a chance of getting him were the Knicks and Nets. But the way I look at it is, the Cavs probably wouldn't be winning the NBA championship any time soon even if he stayed and the Heat now have a pretty formidable roster. At some point in a player's career, it becomes more about winning titles than money, so I can't blame him for leaving Cleveland for Miami. And Cavs fans whining are just sore losers like fans of any team are when a star player goes somewhere else where his odds of winning are better.

Like someone on ESPN said, if he had stayed in Cleveland, he should have asked for a short term (2-3 years) contract and given them a chance to pick up some more key players, then gone somewhere else if they didn't win a championship. He's only 25 right now, so it's not like the clock is winding down on his career.

I'm just glad no Western teams were really in contention for him, since I'm a Lakers fan. (And I wish the joke known as the Clippers would fold or move somewhere else)

P.S. I hate the `King James' nickname. Might work if he ever actually does win some titles. Not as bad as Michelle Beadle's nickname for him, the Akron Hammer, though.

Dan Gilbert had several years' worth of chances to bring an NBA championship to Cleveland with LeBron James, though. He too gets some blame for James walking.

I hate the `King James' nickname. Might work if he ever actually does win some titles. Not as bad as Michelle Beadle's nickname for him, the Akron Hammer, though.

Yeah. Right now King James is about as ironic as Stevie Franchise.

Edited by maninblack

Wait so now ESPN can go onto talking about Brett Favre constantly again?

Lebron going to Miami makes me happy as a Pistons fan. I hate Cleveland and Chicago and for a minute the Bulls were in the running. This deal also makes the Celtics the 2nd best team in the East. Lakers vs Heat in the finals this year? Puppet Kobe vs Puppet Lebron?

I must say Wade did a good job behind the scenes I think. He had to be the one who sold Miami as the place to be. Shaq to Miami for Veterans minimum now? That would be a hell of a deal.

4 Quarters' musical theme for Monday will be "songs from the LeBron/Cleveland breakup." Thinking about "Don't Want You Back" by Eamon, but need a few songs from the dumper's perspective. Any suggestions?

"I Use To Get It In Ohio" by Cam'ron? "Miami" by Will Smith?

Unless, of course, you don't want any of that rap shit. <_<

Anyway, I'm not buying into this whole "no loyalty" and "betrayal" thing. At the end of the day, it's really not that serious. It's just sports, as well as business. If anyone feels betrayed by a guy they had no personal ties to besides the fact that they happened to be from the same state, then something is wrong with that.

And the Heat aren't winning the championship this year. We all know Phil Jackson wins his championships in threes.

Edited by The Aztec Warrior

I lost all my respect for LeBron after yesterday. He says he wants to be seen as a better player than MJ and Kobe, but he's going to a team where he will have two fellow superstars to help win the title. Kobe and MJ usually only had one fellow all-star surrounded by a good supporting cast.

MJ had Scottie Pippen

Kobe had Shaq (I don't consider Gasol to be an all-star, I consider him to be a really good basketball player)

I don't know it just doesn't feel right to me... I think LeBron would have been better fitted going somewhere else to win the title so that it might actually mean something.

Although I would love to see the Heat massively fail and never win a title with these 3 playing that would just make my decade.

Guest JukeboxHero

"I don't want to go ring hunting. I want to stay in Cleveland and build a championship". - Lebron James (aka Quitness) ESPN Magazine 2006

I guess actions do speak louder than words.

"I don't want to go ring hunting. I want to stay in Cleveland and build a championship". - Lebron James (aka Quitness) ESPN Magazine 2006

I guess actions do speak louder than words.

Yes, he stayed there for 7 years. That franchise was a joke before he got there. They never got him that 2nd guy.

They brought in Shaq, who was that 2nd guy in Miami. :P