2010/2011 NBA Thread

jrtdot

Guest JukeboxHero

As much as I'd like Gilbert's guarantee to come true, I doubt it will. But Gilbert is very willing to spend money this offseason. He comes across as a guy who really cares about the fans. As he should. The Cavs were ranked 3rd in attendance last year.

The Cavs will definitely do better next season. Because it would be really hard to do any worse.

Dan Gilbert's a scrub, LeBron James is a scrub, that's why I thought he and the Cavs deserved each other.

I look at Dallas and think that if they can beat OKC, they can beat Miami. OKC has the depth that this Miami team will always dream of having. Plus a Russell Westbrook/Kevin Durant/Serge Ibaka combination is a solid big three. You add to that Perkins' and Thabo's defense + James Harden/Eric Maynor/Nate Robinson and they're honestly a better team than Miami.

It's tough to say as a Spurs fan, but clearly when Dirk's shot is on you're not going to keep him from getting it off and you're not going to keep him from making it. He's pretty much unstoppable in that factor.

Unfortunately for the Cavs, this draft class is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

Either for a good young player or a set of future 1st rounders.

I highly doubt you are going to get either of those for the #4 pick in this draft class.

I think this draft class is weak like everyone else, but I think it's also a bit of a mystery bag. We know the college class and the college class is weak, but there are a lot of foreign guys rpojected for the top of the first round that most of us know nothing about and there could be some wild cards. When my team takes a foreign guy I cringe (probably cause I root for Detroit and we took Darko), but for every Darko there is a Dirk and we don't really know what anyone is getting until we see it on the court.

I think this draft class is weak like everyone else, but I think it's also a bit of a mystery bag. We know the college class and the college class is weak, but there are a lot of foreign guys rpojected for the top of the first round that most of us know nothing about and there could be some wild cards. When my team takes a foreign guy I cringe (probably cause I root for Detroit and we took Darko), but for every Darko there is a Dirk and we don't really know what anyone is getting until we see it on the court.

That ratio is hardly 1:1

• Like 1

RIght, I completely agree with that, so I shouldn't have said it like that. I'm just saying if 2 of 6 foreign guys going in the top 20 pan out, it might not be as bad as it looks now. The college class is weak, but if a couple unknown internationals work out the class gets a boost.

I don't think it's a good class, don't get me wrong, there is just a bit of unknown surrounding it which could swing it one way or another.

Aren't there usually more foreign busts than breakthroughs, though? Dirk and Yao (to an extent) are the sucess stories, but I think over the last few years, a lot of the foreign players haven't really accomplished much. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, though.

Pau, Manu, Dirk, Yao and Parker are the biggest names, but there have been a lot of role players playing big minutes and playing well.

Unfortunately for the Cavs, this draft class is weeeeeeeeeeeeeeak.

Either for a good young player or a set of future 1st rounders.

I highly doubt you are going to get either of those for the #4 pick in this draft class.

GM's are desperate though. The Celtics got Ray Allen and Glen Davis with a trade made in a notably weak draft class in 2007. Granted outside of "The big 2" of Oden and Durant both Al Horford and Joakim Noah have becomes stars, that was a draft famed for having no depth at the time. If an NBA GM feels highly enough about a certain talent, he'll sell the farm for him.

There isn't anyone outside of the top 2 that is really considered anything more then a probably starter/back-up by most people though. I know we're all going to talk ourselves into these guys because that's the natural thing to do, but like Chad Ford has said, this draft is a great draft for the teams picking 10-20 but other then that and the top 2, teams are going to be reaching for high upside projects.

And yeah, you might be able to get a guy like Ray Allen, but Allen was what, 30 something when he was traded? I'd say the best guy out there on the market that might be had is Josh Smith from Atlanta and that's only because they are going to have trade him eventually.

I think a lot was understated about Brown's inability to really manage LeBron as his ego/frustrations slowly got out of control during the last 3 years in Cleveland. If he struggled with that (and I think there's a lot of evidence saying he did), I'd be very worried about his ability to handle a much more intense player and ego like Kobe in his declining years. With that said, there's no telling if anyone could. Only Phil could handle MJ and Kobe. Nobody could really handle Wilt. Some egos are just too much. Something to keep in mind though as we watch the next few, very interesting years, for the Lakers.

On a less-speculative note, raise your hand if you thought Dirk and the Mavs would be back in The Finals... in 2011.

Well, Brown maybe could focus his work on the defensive end and leave the offensive one to the Black Mamba & Co.. I don't think this must be the best choice, probably it's not, but it makes some sense. Here in Italy word is that Ettore Messina, one of the best coaches in Europe and a good friend of Brown, would be enrolled at the coaching staff.

I think a lot was understated about Brown's inability to really manage LeBron as his ego/frustrations slowly got out of control during the last 3 years in Cleveland. If he struggled with that (and I think there's a lot of evidence saying he did), I'd be very worried about his ability to handle a much more intense player and ego like Kobe in his declining years. With that said, there's no telling if anyone could. Only Phil could handle MJ and Kobe. Nobody could really handle Wilt. Some egos are just too much. Something to keep in mind though as we watch the next few, very interesting years, for the Lakers.

One thing that could help Mike Brown out in Lakerland is both he and Kobe got incentive to beat the Heat. They could use that as a start to get on the same page, and maybe build something fruitful.

EDIT: Aaaaaand we now officially have Mavs vs Heat II.

Edited by maninblack