Hugo's 6 Day Final Fantasy-thon

hugobomb

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which FF should I play?

Play all of them except 11. In order. Weren't we going to do that once?

We were. Most people fell off after FF1, I finished 2.

Me and Ruki were the only ones that stayed strong. I beat 1 and 2! I even made sigs for it! There's still someone using one of them as well! tongue.gif

That was so much fun. More so when we were playing FF1 than FF2, because I recall 1 had a really retarded system for something. I don't like Tactics. I can see the appeal to others, but it doesn't do it for me. I like my FF's as they are and I'm not much of a Tactics Game guy. And yeah, I have no idea why people don't like the middle part of FFVIII. I love that game, up until about 3/4 into it where you go to Esther (sp?) and the bits with Ragnarok. And the final boss stuff is bullocks, but the first like 3/4 of the game are all fun to me. I think I have parts of every FF I don't like...

Of the top of my head:

FFVI - Post-World of Ruin or whatever it's called. When you have to gather up your party again and shit, I can never get back into the game at that point.

FFVII - Midgar before the raid on Shinra building and the town with the giant cannon when you first arrive there. The marching bit bores me to tears.

FFVIII - Explained above...

FFIX - The whole game. >_> Actually, I like the bits before you meet Freya. After that it all goes downhill for me.

FFX - Pretty much Zanarkand to Djose/Guadosalam is just kind of... okay. It's not terrible, but it feels like it takes forever and the cutscenes are so boring.

FFXII - The entire game. I can struggle through the first like... 2-3 hours and then I'm done. I just don't enjoy the story at all.

FFXIII - Strangely enough, I think I had more fun with the first 10 or so hours than I did when I arrived at Pulse. Everything was so over the top hard on Pulse

You know what's weird? I can't think of a single point of FFX-2 I didn't enjoy. Fuck the haters.

Play all of them except 11. In order. Weren't we going to do that once?

We were. Most people fell off after FF1, I finished 2.

Me and Ruki were the only ones that stayed strong. I beat 1 and 2! I even made sigs for it! There's still someone using one of them as well! tongue.gif

That was so much fun. More so when we were playing FF1 than FF2, because I recall 1 had a really retarded system for something. I don't like Tactics. I can see the appeal to others, but it doesn't do it for me. I like my FF's as they are and I'm not much of a Tactics Game guy. And yeah, I have no idea why people don't like the middle part of FFVIII. I love that game, up until about 3/4 into it where you go to Esther (sp?) and the bits with Ragnarok. And the final boss stuff is bullocks, but the first like 3/4 of the game are all fun to me. I think I have parts of every FF I don't like...

Of the top of my head:

FFVI - Post-World of Ruin or whatever it's called. When you have to gather up your party again and shit, I can never get back into the game at that point.

FFVII - Midgar before the raid on Shinra building and the town with the giant cannon when you first arrive there. The marching bit bores me to tears.

FFVIII - Explained above...

FFIX - The whole game. >_> Actually, I like the bits before you meet Freya. After that it all goes downhill for me.

FFX - Pretty much Zanarkand to Djose/Guadosalam is just kind of... okay. It's not terrible, but it feels like it takes forever and the cutscenes are so boring.

FFXII - The entire game. I can struggle through the first like... 2-3 hours and then I'm done. I just don't enjoy the story at all.

FFXIII - Strangely enough, I think I had more fun with the first 10 or so hours than I did when I arrived at Pulse. Everything was so over the top hard on Pulse

You know what's weird? I can't think of a single point of FFX-2 I didn't enjoy. Fuck the haters.

Because we're awesome!

I was thinking the other day, the cut-scene before Yunalesca in X, where Auron just goes bad ass...it was great.

And yeah, XII can go fuck itself.

X makes summoning fun again, features my favorite persistent minigame in Blitzball, has a plot that only rarely goes completely off the rails (the last act, but that's where every Final Fantasy game loses it), and features motherfucking Auron.

Okay, X it is then.

Opening scene around the fire was nice but I've always thought the shot lingers on Tidus waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long before he finally says 'Listen to my story, this may be our last chance' I can understand panning the shot to take in the surroundings but it still goes on for ages. First I played this game, the scene did hook me into the game, wondering who were all these people and thinking that Kimahri was a badass and would be the best fighter there, oh how wrong I was.

I sign some autographs and flirt a little. Then some punk kids demand that I coach them in Biltzball, with me having to point out that you know, I have a game to get to. I fob them off saying I'll teach them tommorow, though Tidus is more likely wondering which of the two girls he's taking home with him. Blah, blah, blah, Jecht disapeered and everyone was sad but now I've become the best player on the team.

First FMV Scene! Still as badass as ever. After the opening scene got me into the game, this just put me over the top. Blitzball, while physcally impossible in every way, looking so fucking cool here. Plus, you know the first proper appearence of Auron :wub: Oh and Sin kills everything in sight, ending with Tidus somehow surviving a huge ass fall with no injuries what so ever.

I like the way the next shot of Sin estambishes that it is behind us, with everyone running past us TOWARDS it. Idiots. We kill some Sin Spawn with Tidus quickly picking up on the only thing he to know about fighting with a sword 'stick them with the pointy end', sound advice Arya. We kill the overdrive tutorial disguised as a mini boss (which I wasted a potion on, forgetting it only knows Demi and there's a save point up the road). After killing indescriminatly for a while, Auron grows tired of these 'one at a time' bullshit and just decided to blow up the bridge, killing hundreds of the things, until we remember we also on said bridge and haul ass to get out of there, leaving Tidus hanging on for dear life. You can tell Auron is debating not helping him up but in the end yanks him up into Sin.

After the Al Bhed scene where we meet Rikku for the first time, help them out with the sunken airship and nearly choke to death whist eating (*sigh*), Sin shows up and Tidus falls off the ship and blacks out again. One thing has bothered me about Rikku, Spoony brought this up in his review of X but could the camera be more pervy when it come to Rikku? She's 15! Yes I'm sure Spira has a different system when it comes to age of consent but it's still creepy for a game to be making a 15 year old girl that sexy. It must have been even worse for the American players.

He wakes on at Besaid and shows off his mad Blitzball Skillz to Wakka and Co before swimming over (making sure to go and get the Moon Crest beforehand). They pratically cream themselves over Tidus' skills, helped by the fact everyone else bar Wakka sucks at the game. Back the village, Tidus wants feeding but Wakka tell him to wait, not doubt having already heard about Tidus' inabilty to eat without killing himself so he takes a nap, overhearing parts of a conversation as he nods off. After finding out from Wakka at the temple about the summoner taking her sweet ass time in the temple, Tidus randomly decides to charge in to 'save the day'. After completing the Trials, Wakka shows up, clearly having waited for Tidus to do all the work before announcing himself, lazy fucker. Yuna comes out completly fine, aside from being tired, thus making Tidus a complete moron for doing all of this when his help wasn't needed in the slightest.

And so begins the 'Yuna apologises for things that wern't her fault' tradition. Tidus storms into the temple despite being told that it's violating one of their oldest tradition all because he heard the summoner might be in trouble. Granted Wakka could have told him that Lulu and Kimahri would be able to handle it but that just raises the question of why Wakka wasn't there with them. He blew off protection Yuna for Blitzball practice, yeah you're just a great Guardian ain't ya Wakka? Also, Yuna thanks Tidus for his help, what help? He stormed in, pissing everyone off and did nothing but gawk from then on.

Needless to say, everyone is pissed at Tidus and tries to keep you away from Yuna, barring one short conversation, leading to the always amusing game walking near her and getting an old woman shouting 'Stay away from the Summoner!' at you until you give up and go to sleep. In the morning we wait for Yuna to show up, girls likes making people wait doesn't she? She finally shows up with her luggage which Lulu immediatly tells her to leave behind, apparently nobody takes anything other than the clothes they're standing in and their weapons (and Lulu's teddy bear). I mean Tidus has an excuse what with being sent 1,000 years into the future but why doesn't anyone else own a second set of clothes?

On our way to the boat we pray for a safe trip, which isn't a great help since Kimahri attacks us eight seconds later, Wakka and Lulu suddenly nowhere to be found, must be placing bets on whether Tidus is about to made someone's bitch or not (1/3 on Tidus screaming for his mummy), then just as the fight gets going Wakka stops it. After some leveling up (during which we see the first Aeon brought into battle), of course most of the battle are just a way to showcase everyone's skills but thats fine, so long as there no more tutorials the lenth of the Sphere gird one, we get to the boat where Yuna says her goodbyes(complete with crying children) and it's off to Luca!

Edited by Hugobombski

After a little chat with Yuna ("The wind...it's nice", which has to be up there with "I love the water" for most vapid thing to say), we get a little visit:

324356sinaseasuper.jpg

Oh hai there Sin! Is it naive to think Sin just wants to swin along side us, like a dolphin would?

We don't get to find out because two crewmen decide the best thing to do is fire a couple of Harpoons up it's ass. I appriciate the sentiment but if it was that easy to beat Sin, do you think we'd still bother with all of this quest bullshit? "well, we could just harpoon the fucker, but to me that lacks style'. Their plan goes about as well as you'd expect, Sin rips the harpoon guns out of the ship and continues on it's merry way, no doubt muttering to itself about how it "only wanted to say hello to Tidus, then some asshole decide to spear me, screw this I'm taking out Kilika'.

kilikadusk.png

I like his little halo of stuff, showing off his haul to everyone.

Once we arrive in Kilika the Aurochs help repair some of the damage, while the main party gather round to watch the sending.

yunasending22.jpg

Gotta love Yuna, making sure we're watching. 'Lulu! You're not watching!!'