NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

It might be better to just let him walk. Get his cap off the books, not take anything on the way back, then go find a player they can use with that kind of money. Kadri will be another year older, and they might be able to find a player who can play Burke's style and still has some years on his side. If Kaberle's contract had run out this year they good have gotten some more of Chicago's leftovers, I think.

Going by next year's UFA crop, David Backes is that guy. Big, aggressive, American, under 30. He's an internet darling but he hasn't really broken out yet. I've watched like 3 Blues' games in the last 2 years so I can't really judge how good he is. I just hope you assholes are enjoying Alex Steen.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Guest Mr. Potato Head

I like how hockey players can now be described as "Internet darlings".

How long until we start bitching about Thornton and Heatley holding down all the young Sharks and not giving them opportunities to sign?

When will backstage sources tell us that Michael Leighton is in the doghouse?

• Like 1

I like how hockey players can now be described as "Internet darlings".

How long until we start bitching about Thornton and Heatley holding down all the young Sharks and not giving them opportunities to sign?

When will backstage sources tell us that Michael Leighton is in the doghouse?

Ha. For lack of better words, I guess. And if you think about it, with the rise of the bloggers and twitter..ers... and their "sources", that shit isn't that far off really.

Guest The Head

Gonna save my predictions until a bit closer to the season. :P

Also CBC is showing 10 AHL games this year on Sunday afternoons.

Too bad it's about 15 years too late for Cornwall Aces vs. Cape Breton Oilers. I miss the days when half the AHL was in Canada and east of Ottawa.

The other half was in upstate New York.

Leafs to fight valiantly, but miss out on the playoffs in the last days of the season. Kessel scores 40, BOZAK manages 70 points as they combine for good chemistry. Kulemin doesn't quite perform to first line standard, scores 40 points. Phaneuf regains his offensive touch, Kaberle doesn't regain his PP quarterback abilities. Gus averages .915, is approximately two and a half googleplex times better than D.S. Toskalol. Versteeg scores 25 and beds in well; Armstrong scores 20 points and doesn't. Orr continues to terrorise the league, beats up Boogaard and pummels Matt Carkner so badly his kids grow up hating their dad for being beaten so hard they felt it.

Rookies: Kadri makes the team, stays there, holds down the #2 centre because nobody wants to risk disturbing the BOZAK/Kessel partnership. D'Amigo isn't nearly as good as everybody's hoping. Ditto Marcel Mueller. Greg McKegg continues to hear that Simpsons joke wherever he goes.

I think Toronto will be greatly improved. Just dumping Toskala is a huge boost for the team. If the team plays like they did after the Phaneuf trade, then this team will be playoff bound. They are thin up front, but very deep defensively and should get good goaltending from the tandem of Giggy and Gustavsson. One big issue is the special teams. The addition of Versteeg and Armstrong, and a full season of Komisarek and Phaneuf, should help the penalty kill improve.

I think Toronto will finish somewhere between 6th and 10th.

I see the 6th 7th and 8th spot coming down to Philly, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Rangers. Tampa, Atlanta or Carolina. Which means 5 of those teams I don't think will make the playoffs.

1-6 in no order.

Devils

Pittsburgh

Ottawa

Washington

Boston

Toronto are very thin up front, but as long as they injury free with fowards, they should be able to make a race for 7th-8th. If they miss the playoffs, I don't think it'll be by much.

Carolina struggled last year, but if their defense can tighten up, they could also start the season much like they finished last season - A winning record. I expect ward to bounce back, but I don't think they will make the playoffs. I also expect Staal to come close to scoring 35-40 goals.

The Rangers are very hit or miss. I'm bias because that's my team but I'm well aware that they suck! The team is carried on Defense by Staal and Giradi. Del Zotto had a great rookie season on D, but he's not a shut down defensemen, and he's not an offensive threat like Kaberle or Pitkanen; right now he's a second line pairing at best. Lundqvst will do his best to steal games. Gaborik was the offense last season, and Callahan played the physical game while scoring 19 goals. Add Frolov and the offense is now much better. However, the Raners have had trouble scoring for a while now and I don't see it changing this season. I predict the Rangers finished either 7th or 8th, if they start the season off strong or end the season strong. I think they will be a very up and down team on cruise control.

Miller will have to play on his head for Buffalo to reach the playoffs. He's capable of it but that's a lot of pressure to put on 1 player.

Tampa is a much better team. I don't think they will get in the playoffs being ranked #1-6. The top is just too good right now (although Ottawa and bruins might fall again)

I don't think Montreal will make the playoffs. Sorry, but yes, I said I don't think Montreal will make the playoffs. Last season they got extremely lucky, and now price will need to play like a god for them to reach 8th.

Philly is another team that just made playoffs last season. I predict either Tampa or Philly make the playoffs. Not both.

I think Atlanta will be in the race for the playoffs and fall out during the trade deadline.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

So I'm pretty sure this 'State of the Game' symposium or whatever is a glorified Molson marketing ploy, but there's something awesome about any event which will give you a discussion panel of Steve Yzerman, Hayley Wickenheiser, and 1996 STANLEY CUP WINNER UWE KRUPP.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr. Potato Head

Apparently this counts as a bit closer to the season, here are my predictions:

Washington

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Boston

Montreal

Ottawa

Tampa Bay

Buffalo

------------

New Jersey

Carolina

NY Rangers

Atlanta

Toronto

NY Islanders

Florida

Vancouver

Detroit

San Jose

Los Angeles

Chicago

Phoenix

Anaheim

Calgary

-----------

Colorado :(

Dallas

St. Louis

Nashville

Edmonton

Minnesota

Columbus

Washington over Buffalo

Pittsburgh over Tampa Bay

Philadelphia over Ottawa

Montreal over Boston

Washington over Montreal

Pittsburgh over Philadelphia

Washington over Pittsburgh

Vancouver over Calgary

Detroit over Anaheim

Phoenix over San Jose

Los Angeles over Chicago

Vancouver over Phoenix

Los Angeles over Detroit

Vancouver over Los Angeles

Vancouver over Washington :o

Washington

Philly

Boston

New Jersey

Pittsburgh

Buffalo

Montreal

Ottawa

----

Tampa

Rangers

Carolina

Toronto

Islanders

Forida

Atlanta

Washington has nothing to prevent them from repeating

Philly only finished 7th because they were decimated with injuries

Boston can thank Toronto.

Jersey should have a decent year... they might be a little high it depends on how well Brodeur holds up...

Pittsburgh and Buffalo should have great years

Montreal depends on injuries really. Price is a very good goaltender, point to his record last year, but of his 25 losses, 22 or 23 came on him giving up 2 goals or less. He had a decent GAA and a very respectable SV % .912. I'm hoping Cammy continues his riduculous form. If he scores like he did in the playoffs, 40 shouldn't be an issue and 50 could be doable... but it's a long year so lets not get too ahead of ourselves (that goes for you aswell Leafs fans who believe in Kessel).

Ottawa don't see them doing much.

Tampa I see being amongst the most improved teams

Rangers just dont see a huge improvement in their line up

Carolina... meh...

Toronto, they're going to be better, but too many other teams in the East got way better in the off season. They have a good D core, even if it isn't too quick. Their main issue is that their D won't put up much in points, and they have Kessel, Versteeg and Bozak up front. As with every year since the lock out, the Leafs players put up a chunk of their points in the back end of the season once they're long done... Let's see if they can do it when the season counts. They'll be better than last year, but I don't see them competing for the playoffs this year, more time needed.

Islanders and Panthers are perennial losers

Atlanta is fucked.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Montreal fifth in the East.

As the bishop said to the netball team - what-EVER.

I really think most of their struggles last year were because there were so many new faces that hadn't had time to gel, and the reason they came on so strong at the end of the season and especially in the playoffs was because all those parts were finally coming together.

Besides, you can't accuse me of homerism, Subban makes them automatically my least-favourite team in organized hockey.

Might want to revisit that prediction, Empee - Lou to Colorado?!? :

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/nhl_gives_players_assn_ultimatum_UEbYgwfB6I4E4y7xGbE1OP

As if the NHL doesn't look silly enough, now they're threatening their own players union and trying to bully them into redoing a collective bargaining agreement midseason. This is absurd.