NHL 2010/2011

SeanDMan

Darcy Tucker has retired. http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=335903

Thanks, Darcy.

One of my favourites to watch. He was a fun player to watch, since he could grind it out in the corners on one shift then blast a one-timer on the next. He had a few seasons of twenty or more, and the 05/06 season was awesome. Darcy was a big reason why that team had one of the best powerplays in the league.

I was hoping he would catch on with some team this season, but I guess this means he will be in the area more. Maybe I'll see him at Shayne Corson's restaurant!

• Like 2

I'm not going to sugar coat my feelings about the guy just because he's retiring.

There was an article in the Sun today, that was talking about how for the amount of hate he has taken in his career and will take in his retiring, he had to have been doing something right. I would agree.

Basha prefers players that spear people in the throat and slashing them in the back of the leg over players that kamizaki themselves into the other teams bench. :shifty:

And toe, there are now two resturants where they could be possible Shane Corson/Darcy Tucker sightings!

Haha, see, Clawson knows me best.

Seriously though, what the fuck came over Cammalleri there. I understand he took a bit of a blindside hit, but I hardly think that giving it to the guys face with your stick and then envoking the spirit of Bobby Clarke is an appropriate response.

I somehow wish he escapes suspension if only because he's our best scorer and he would be sorely missed in the first game or 2 of the season that he'll likely miss.

Also, the Marche Bleu in Quebec attracted by some estimates 60,000 people and by others 100,000 people. Either way it was a pretty huge rally. The Stasny brothers along with other notable former Nordiques were there. Apparently it was great fun.

From what I understand, the new arena complex will cost 400 million, the province is kicking in 200 of that, with the city another 50. They want the federal government to kick in the difference as the main purpose of the complex besides trying to get an NHL team back is for the 2022 winter games bid (which god almighty I would go crazy having a 'lympics so close to my home). The feds kicked in untold millions for Toronto's multiple failed bids on the games, so I would assume it's only fair... 150 million however, I somehow feel is steep. I feel that the money should also come from local large businesses, like Quebecor media which owns the half of all media in Canada not owned by Canwest. Because as much as I would love to just have the feds give money to the city, 1) As much as Toronto is hated in the rest of Canada, there is no comparison to the venom people have for Quebec. and 2) Life isn't fair.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

I have a question... Howard Berger wrote an article about Kelly Fraiser and his "botched call" (Gilmour said it came off a follow through, which isn't a penalty... Don't shoot the messenger on that) in the 93 playoffs. My question is do Leafs fans think that the 93 Leafs would have beaten the 93 Habs? I don't mean it as oh so you think you had a chance?! I'm simply quite curious.

The 93 Leafs we as strong a team as any, Montreal had a good team that was playing way above it's talent level (like last season, but with much better results). The Kings went down in 5 and the Leafs and Kings went to 7. Had Gretzky gotten a penalty AND had Toronto scored on their PP opportunity (as it's not a given) then Toronto would have won in 6.

To me this says that Toronto was as good, possibly better than LA.

LA managed 1 win against the Habs, and got caught on an illegal stick call allowing the Habs to tie and win in OT.

In this theoretical series, you'd have to imagine that any game that goes to OT will be won by the Habs, and that Felix Potvin is no Patrick Roy. But then again, the Habs didn't have a player who was as good as Gilmour, and while they had a good group D, they had no Wendel Clarke.

Obviously I'd still call it a Habs cup as naturally I'm a fan, as well as how easily Montreal disposed of the Kings. But I'm curious what some of you think. It would have been the only meeting in the Playoffs for these two since the 67 final I believe, and it would have been one hell of a series either way.

Edited by The Sultan of Swank

TJ Brodie and Stefan Meyer surprised and made the Flames' opening day roster. Means that we're carrying 8 defensemen right now though, so I expect moves to be made, especially with Staffan Kronwall teetering between the AHL and NHL.

One guy who should have made the team and didn't, was Jon Rheault. Rheault was easily one of our top five in the pre-season, and played his way onto the team, but because of contracts and roster space, he'll be playing in Abbottsford this season.

Other than that, I don't have any complaints about the opening day roster for my favorite team.

This was written by Corey Krakower at prosportsblogging.com and I thought it was effing hilarious.

Anaheim Ducks: In cost cutting measures, rather than have the coaches drawing up set plays on tablet computers (like the Leafs), they are expected to use Ryan Getzlaf’s head.

Atlanta Thrashers: Jeremy Roenick criticized Dustin Byfuglien as a defenseman, saying he could skate circles around him. Byfuglien took offense to that, and made Roenick cry by sending him a picture of his Stanley Cup ring.

Boston Bruins: Boston has hired a full time masseuse in anticipation of expected neck problems incurred by their scouting staff having to look far down the standings to see how the Toronto Maple Leafs are doing.

Buffalo Sabres: Management had a mix-up with their calendars and are probably unaware that the season is even starting. In fact, Darcy Regier is still waiting for July 1/free agency to start.

Calgary Flames: It’s not clear how the Flames will do this year, mainly because Darryl Sutter is waiting to hear back on various trade proposals offered around the league, including Robyn Regehr and Miikka Kirpussof for Sheldon Souray and Nikolai Khabibulin; Jarome Iginla for Brian Rolston and Bryce Salvador; and Jay Bouwmeester and Mikael Backlund for Michal Roszival and Todd White.

Carolina Hurricanes: Canes fans can expect to generate a lot more offense due to the expected emergence of some good young players, and Rod Brind’Amour retiring will result in fewer scoring chances being called offside due to his nose being over the blue line.

Chicago Blackhawks: Patrick Kane was asked for his opinion on the upcoming season; he didn’t answer other than angrily saying “I’m not giving you my 2 cents”.

Colorado Avalanche: The Avalanche have vowed to be better defensively which will hopefully reduce Craig Anderson’s workload to a more respectable average of 45 shots against per game.

Columbus Blue Jackets: The excitement is back in Columbus as prized young goaltender Steve Mason should be well rested after taking last year off.

Dallas Stars: There was an awkward moment between GM Joe Nieuwendyk and owner Tom Hicks which almost resulted in Nieuwendyk getting fired. Hicks thought he was being mocked when Nieuwendyk told him “we are going to make the playoffs Tom, you can take that to the bank.”

Detroit Red Wings: Fan support and attendance is supposed to be much better in Detroit this year due to the majority of their players buying tickets regularly for their wives, children and grand children.

Edmonton Oilers: Sheldon Souray is the consensus public enemy number one among the people of Edmonton. It could be worse for Souray; he could still be expected to play in Edmonton.

Florida Panthers: Win or lose, the Panthers will be loved in Miami by their loyal fan base, or as they’re more commonly known, “people who couldn’t get Miami Heat tickets”.

Los Angeles Kings: Dean Lombardi is lucky that no one in LA cares about hockey, otherwise some fans may notice that the guy with the #17 Kovalchuk jersey shoots left and looks strangely like Alexei Ponikarovsky.

Minnesota Wild: What’s the difference between Pat Burns and Minnesota’s playoff hopes? One was pronounced dead prematurely even though it is inevitable; the other was an NHL coach.

Montreal Canadiens: Apparently, the real reason Halak was traded is because the Habs wanted to increase scoring this year, and what better way to do that than to have the players shooting against Carey Price in practice.

Nashville Predators: Lots of optimism in Nashville. In 2007, they weren’t even close to getting out of the first round. In 2008 and 2010, they were kind of close to getting out of the first round. This year, the Preds are expected to take that next leap forward by pushing a first round series to a full 7 games before they lose.

New Jersey Devils: GM Lou Lamoriello always appears serious but he does have a sense of humor. This year, instead of the PA announcer announcing that fans should remove their hats for the national anthems, he will now say “please circumvent your caps”.

New York Islanders: Expectations are through the roof for this elite team, as Garth Snow enters year 5 of his 5-year rebuilding plan for the Islanders.

New York Rangers: A new NHL rule stating that goaltenders are not allowed to shoot in shootouts assures fans that at the very least Marian Gaborik will be shooting ahead of Henrik Lundqvist.

Ottawa Senators: In honor of the Save Spezza Rally over the summer, Jason Spezza will contemplate changing his number to 8, in order to commemorate the number of fans that showed up.

Philadelphia Flyers: I had a good joke, but Chris Pronger stole it.

Phoenix Coyotes: The bad news: Kyle Wellwood was released, depriving bloggers of jokes this year. The good news: by releasing him, the Coyotes will be able to sell tickets at a higher price and not have to discount seats in the lower bowl for having an obstructed view.

Pittsburgh Penguins: The Penguins were relieved when the NHL and the Officials came to terms on a 4-year agreement. Just imagine how confused everyone in Pittsburgh would have been if unbiased replacement officials came in and started calling penalties on Sidney Crosby.

San Jose Sharks: On a team full of passengers, it was encouraging to see guys like Thornton, Marleau and Pavelski step up in the playoffs and drive the bus for San Jose. Fortunately, Dany Heatley was not the one doing any of this so called driving.

St. Louis Blues: The Blues are still laughing at the fact that Pierre Gauthier doesn’t understand the acronym LOL; for example – “Hey Pierre, I’ll trade you Eller and Schultz for Jaroslav Halak, LOL.”

Tampa Bay Lightning: In an effort to build community relations, some teams send their players to deliver tickets to fans. The Lightning players don’t do that with the exception of Dan Ellis, who is a courier by day to earn extra cash.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Looking to raise the bar for the players; Brian Burke has established a team goal for the season – the number of Leafs wins in 2010-11 should be greater than or equal to the number of assistant general managers.

Vancouver Canucks: The Canucks expected big things from themselves, figuring they would win their division and be a Stanley Cup favorite this season. They immediately started to question that when Eklund projected the same thing.

Washington Capitals: Washington has proposed a rule change that would see a playoff series being decided by the first team to win 3 games, not 4.