PS2 Problems

A-Dub

The damn thing keeps givin me the Disc Read Error, and I keep having to open it up and cleaning out the dust or something, but after I close it it works for 2 or 3 times, and then i get the Disc Read Error again....ne advice?

A friend of mine kept getting the Disk Read Error (DRE).

It annoyed him, because his PS2 would only work when it felt like it, not when he felt like it.

So he looked into how to fix it online.

All he could find of use was that the laser is dirty / fucked. So he followed the instructions to take apart his PS2 and clean the laser.

He tried to load a game, but still got a DRE.

So he threw it away and bought a new PS2.

Also, don't leave the PS2 on the floor because it'll get broken by the dust.

Plus, don't stand the PS2 vertically because it'll scratch your disks.

As for the not dismantling your PS2 warning from syco, that's probably some good advice - especially when you're under warranty. However, when your PS2 has no warranty and you're on the brink of throwing it out / replacing it anyway, you might as well try taking it apart to fix it before you give up on it. What's it going to do, break it? It's already broken!

Mine was buggered like that as well, but I was still under warranty, so I got mine sent off and they replaced it with a slimmer version, with a larger fan. If it's under warranty, send it away, it's much better than messing around with the insides.

Is it true about the vertical-disk scratching Marsh? I have to have mine standing up, theres not enough space for horizontal :unsure:

I'm pretty sure it is.

A friend of mine had his standing up, then he looked at his disks and they were all scratched up BADLY.

Mine lays down and are all in perfect condition.

It scratches the disks because when spinning, the disk jumps if its not laying down flat, due to gravity and the speed of the disk spinning, which causes scratching.

I keep getting disk read errors since I put my flip top on. Sometimes when it's cold it doesn't work for me :/

Had this problem with my PS2. Sent it to a repair shop and they said the laser was fucked. So we did this deal that Sony offer, you trade in your broken PS2 and you get a refurbished one with good parts from other PS2s back for about £30 or something. It was good. And then the new PS2 was fuckig up wi the disc read error. Tried CD cleaners and everything. Didn't work.

However, it's working perfectly now. I bought a DVD cleaner. Used it once about 3, 4 months ago and it's worked brilliantly ever since.

PS2's always wear out after a year or so and really there's no point in paying to have them fixed. It's most probably the usual problem which everyone gets as there PS2 gets old. Do not go and pay for it to be repaired because all that will do is give it a few extra months and it'll go back to how it is now. If you want a PS2, buy a new one.

if you buy a new one make sure its one of the newer models. it has a better laser and its alot quieter than the older models.. also i found out that dvd seem to mess it up on my original ps2 i played dvds on it as well and kept it spotless after about a year i got dre's , took it apart cleaned it and it started playing all games except blue disc games , so i went and part a newer model. this time i haven't been playing dvds on it and so far so good

I had this problem last winter. The warranty had passed so I went online and searched for how to fix it. I learned that just cleaning the lens isn't enough. You should also put oil on the gears to make sure that the discs spin properly. And keep the system flat like Marsh said. Even Sony has said that it get's fucked up if you have it vertical. I cleaned the lens and oiled the gears and the system has worked perfectly since. :thumbsup:

I take it you mean the silver versions Doc? If so then yeah buy one of them. I've read how they are apprently better then the older black versions but I have no clue. Either way your best of buying a new PS2, just try to always keep dust out and don't let it heat up to much, that's about all you can do.

nah i got a new model black version . I wanted a silver one but they weren't out when i bought my new one. it will tell you on the box about the better laser and so forth

I KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH IT! lol

If your system has the notorious "Disk Read Error" your not alone. 1/4 of the Sony Playstation 2 consuls have it, and Sony will fix it for free, with or without a warrenty. All you have to pay is shipping.

The problem, known as the Blue Disk Error, has effected 400,000 PS2s. People started to bitch out Sony about it, and they decided to fix it for free. You might have to fight with them though.

Call Sony Tech Support at 1-800-345-7669 for more details.

*note* DONT OPEN IT YOURSELF! Sony will have nothing to do with it if you do.

Edited by matbar