Sherlock

DFF

Sort of spoilerish, I guess:

Very good episode, sets up a proper, (hopefully) full-length series, and I liked the Moriarty reveal - except that I thought he was horribly miscast. It didn't start off well when he sounded like Graham Norton, and he just looks too young to be a criminal mastermind. I thought the dialogue in the last confrontation was a bit iffy anyway, but Moriarty especially just cheesed it up too much.

Well that was dissapointing.

Very good idea for an episode with the challenges and so on but bringing in Moriarty himself so soon was a mistake for me. I know they may have never commisioned more episodes but that's no excuse for rushing things. Also Moriarty himself was awful, he was like a bad guy off power rangers or something instead of some criminal genius.

I hope they make more just because the idea is great and I'd like to see them do it properly but the writing will have to improve greatly as one and a half good episodes out fo three really isn't great.

Updated Sherlock 'will be back'

The BBC's modern update of Sherlock Holmes will return following the end of its initial three-episode run, its producers have confirmed.

"There will be more," producer Sue Vertue told the BBC's Breakfast programme. "We're having a meeting to talk about how many and when."

Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Watson, Sherlock has been a ratings hit for BBC One.

More than seven million people tuned in to see Sunday's dramatic cliffhanger.

Based on stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the 90-minute specials were written by Mark Gatiss, Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat.

Moffat - lead writer and executive producer on Doctor Who - said there would "definitely" be more instalments in the future.

"Steven and Mark are very busy - Steven is obviously doing Doctor Who as well - so it's just when we're going to do them," said Vertue.

Moffat, her husband, also confirmed that any future instalments would remain 90 minutes long.

from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-10925753?print=true

Great news :)

• 3 weeks later...
Sherlock gets second series on BBC One

Crime drama Sherlock is to get a second series, the BBC has confirmed as part of a raft of new commissions.

Its three-part first series, starring Benedict Cumberbatch in a contemporary take on the classic detective, attracted around nine million viewers.

Creators Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have promised "baffling new puzzles, old friends and new enemies" in three new episodes due in autumn 2011.

Luther, starring Idis Elba, will also return for two hour-long specials.

BBC One controller Jay Hunt said: "Sherlock was the hit of the summer, Luther the most memorable new detective on the block.

"I am delighted they will both be returning to BBC One."

A two-part adaptation of Sebastian Faulks's acclaimed novel Birdsong, set during World War I, will be brought to the screen by award-winning writer Abi Morgan, while Welsh comedian Rhod Gilbert is to present his own comedy panel show.

Meanwhile, the BBC has announced that the next series of Doctor Who, in 2011, will be split into two separate runs with the first block in spring ending on a cliffhanger.

The next block will begin in the autumn.

On BBC Two, the Edwardian ghost story Oh, Whistle And I'll Come To You, My Lad, is given a modern reworking.

Wine expert Oz Clarke and comedian Hugh Dennis will set up a bar serving only local UK produce in Oz And Hugh Raise The Bar.

...and here's the confirmation! Great stuff!

Heh, I can only imagine how British TV infuriates people used to around 26 x hourly (45 min without adverts) episodes for a typical TV season.

"We wait a whole year for just 3 more episodes? What is this shit?"

"Hey, it's how things work in the UK. A typical series is 6 half-hour episodes, say."

"But this isn't even 6 measly episodes! Just THREE!"

"They're an hour each. Twice as long."

" :mellow: "

"What? You think we have time to make more than 3 hours of television a year? Madness."

:shifty:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Has anyone seen the new series yet? The series finale was intense. Martin Freeman put in a very incredible performance as Dr. John Watson and I honestly cannot wait for the next series.

Anyone have any theories on how Sherlock survived? I read one on Tumblr that was pretty good, apparently Molly helps Sherlock fake his death by dropping a lookalike dead body after Sherlock lands in the waste disposal truck that was nearby. Then the biker hits Watson with a spray of the gas from the 2nd episode making Watson "see" Sherlock dead on the floor.

Yeahh I've heard all sorts of theories on that one. Moffat says that everyone's missed something though so it could be anything really. Cracking three episodes and amazing performances from Freeman and 'The Final Problem' is just genius in it's storyline. Really enjoyed the last episode.

apparently Molly helps Sherlock fake his death by dropping a lookalike dead body

Not bad.

after Sherlock lands in the waste disposal truck that was nearby

Less plausible.

Then the biker hits Watson with a spray of the gas from the 2nd episode making Watson "see" Sherlock dead on the floor.

Um...I'd be surprised.

I think the clue, which probably isn't the one he's referring to, comes from Watson's blog. The Holmes death news report mentions there was no body found on the roof, so where'd it go? Over the side. We don't get a good look at it, do we?

Then again, this is Moffat, I wouldn't be the least surprised if he was just trolling.

apparently Molly helps Sherlock fake his death by dropping a lookalike dead body

Not bad.

after Sherlock lands in the waste disposal truck that was nearby

Less plausible.

Then the biker hits Watson with a spray of the gas from the 2nd episode making Watson "see" Sherlock dead on the floor.

Um...I'd be surprised.

I think the clue, which probably isn't the one he's referring to, comes from Watson's blog. The Holmes death news report mentions there was no body found on the roof, so where'd it go? Over the side. We don't get a good look at it, do we?

Then again, this is Moffat, I wouldn't be the least surprised if he was just trolling.

I think the body of Moriarty might have gone over the roof, but it is clearly Sherlock's face on the body on the ground. Then again, Moriarty could have faked his own death with a squib and blanks, and once Sherlock jumped he runs off. More likely I think the clues are there regarding Molly, whom he says is, and I forget the exact wording, but something like she is important to him, the way Watson was out of position to see the actual hit, the truck, the bike messenger that knocked him down, and the throngs of people swarming in. Holmes Homeless Network maybe? Regardless, I suspect that the final resolution will make use of almost all of that, as well as be two years away. Both men are rather busy for awhile.