NBA 2k11 or NBA Elite 11?

A-Dub

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which NBA game will/would you pick up?

We're merely over a month away from the release of the yearly NBA franchises. Lately, concensus says it hasn't been much of a battle with the 2K series on a fast break with both sales and critics alike. This year both games are attempting to create a more user controlled experience and eliminate many of the "canned animations" players hate.

Personally, with the addition of the Michael Jordan game modes, and their reportedly seamless integration to the game, 2K gets my purchase once again. Even more important to me is the ability to play with all the classic teams they pit you against when you're in the Jordan game modes, I can't wait to play with Hakeem The Dream, Larry Legend, Ewing, Magic....oh my.

The one think that makes me consider Elite is that it's packaged with NBA Jam, which is something I'm very hopeful for.

I hope the developers plan on throwing in a couple teams that Jordan DIDN'T have moments against. I understand that the game revolves around him, but I still want Magic v Bird ('91 Magic just isn't the same). And as I said before, I want me some Dream. Good to see 'Nique will be in though.

Sense is not my concern. I'm concerned about adding all the best teams ever to a game and making sure there's a tournament mode. That's what I would love.

And I hope myplayer is tweaked a little bit, it would be way more fun to come in as a 7th or 8th man and have to work your way up. The NBDL is just boring to me.

Edited by A-Dub

• 3 weeks later...

I don't care about shot control. I don't care about Jordan or NBA Jam. All I want is a deep franchise/association/dynasty mode. It seems as if neither game has focussed on this which makes me less than enthused. I don't get the whole emulate Jordan thing, is sounds like work rather than fun.

All I want is realistic trades and a deeper pre-season mode which makes drafting more eventful and teams jockying for position on the board and being willing to draft to fill holes in their roster. I'd also like the rookies to have a bit more personality so after the tenth season it doesn't feel like you are playing with a bunch of faceless goons. I want the commentary to talk of how this new star is having the franchise built around them, how they were defensive player of the year or MVP or whatnot. Also have the commentary talk of how franchises have turned around, i.e. from cellar dwellers to the elite via drafting of trading to get X who has given them the stopping power, scoring prowess/whatever.

I'm not holding my breath with excitement.

Edited by QuomQuat
  • Like 2

I love love the 2KSeries. But last year was a huge disappointment. My player was phenomenal, but full of bugs. By the time things were fixed, I had lost interest. Also, the second patch fixed my player but destroyed associations (big men would jack up 3s for no reason). I'll probably still pick up 2k11, but can't say I'm the fanboy I was last year.

The demo for Elite was awful. Really, just terrible.

I second that sentiment. I know a lot of people crack on the old control set up for NBA Live but at least it wasn't just terrible like Elite. There's no boost button, pretty much everything important is centered around the analog stick, which in theory is good but for most people will get real frustrating because once you're in-game, you'll forget just what direction does what action. Just awful. When it comes out in 2011, if it does, I won't bat an eyelash at it.

I've not played the Elite demo yet, but the new control mechanics sounded cool, shame to hear it seems that's not the case. One question though, I've never played the 2k series, but I have enjoyed the games I've played on the last couple of editions of Live, will that make me more likely to enjoy Elite?

I haven't played them in a few years but the gameplay was fairly transferable in the past. It was just that after going from 2k to Live it felt like you were playing NBA Jam as it didn't feel anywhere near as tight or close to an NBA game. So basically if you liked Live you would love 2k. Well that was my experience anyway. Having played 2k's demo it feels just the same as it always did, except the controls seem to have changed as I'm sure shoot and rebound/block used to be the same button?

Elite's demo felt like it would be more suited to a three-on-three type of game than trying to make it feel like an NBA game. Either that or the controls should have been standard for the normal modes and had the new control scheme for my player or become legendary or whatever the fuck they call it, the one where you only control yourself.

THis game is tough. I'm going to be spending a few hours in the practice gym trying to completely switch to the shot stick and learn all the Iso and post moves. Also completely changing my style of play, since 80% of outlet passes are intercepted. Kevin Love has just become useless in this game. When you do something correctly, however, the game is really rewarding. This is going to take all the free hours I don't have away. Awesome game, everything feels the way it should, too.