Civilization Thread!

Ruki

Yeah, fuck this Siam game. Morocco is out of control (which doesn't make sense, they have THREE CITIES and I have most of the continent), and I can't seem to find my footing after taking Constantinople. And the fucking missionaries. My god.

You can found four religions in a small-sized game, right? All of them were founded on my continent--by me, Theodora, Ahmad, and Catherine. I cannot even get my fucking workers into position on expanding tiles because every fucking tile on my continent is occupied by goddamn missionaries.

Siam is good, but I'ma take someone else for a spin.

"Hey, we asked for tribute from one of your city-states, what are you going to do about it?"

*Denounce*
"Pffft, whatever."

*Several Turns Later*

"Hey..uh, what's with that army?"
*declares war*

*Several Turns Later*

"WE WANT PEACE JUST SPARE US FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!"

"I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUNDS OF THE FLAMES!"

Diplomacy!

The Poles decimated themselves in their foolish attempt to take Utrecht. In a war that they declared while my army was busy sieging the Dutch capital, where they had me significantly outnumbered, and where not a single unit of mine stepped foot in their territory, they offered me a significantly built up city for peace. It was the farthest city from my power base, and I've got a lot of staging to do before I'm comfortable invading, so I accepted. I puppeted the city for now, although I may end up razing it if the Poles direct their forces there to retake it, it's not really defensible the way Utrecht was.

Morocco wants me to help them war with Catherine already. I declined, which I later regretted because Catherine doesn't have Astronomy yet and is therefore no threat to me. If they take each other out, my eventual domination should be relatively simple, the Celts are pretty backwards tech wise.

Fuck it, I'm bored of just missing out on wins on King, I'm going back down a level for a while and enjoy a finished game or two. I think mixing trying out new Civs and a higher difficulty was a bad idea. Think I'll pop Greece on my next King game, 'cause Alexander is awesome.

Hey, do you guys build Petra? Because Petra is pretty nuts, especially when you take the Desert Folklore pantheon thing. Mecca is insane, and thanks to finishing up Piety and picking the best Reformation belief I can buy whatever Great People I want with Faith.

Seriously, an unimproved desert hill with Petra and Desert Folklore gives you three hammers, one food, and one faith. That's insane.

This has been a fairly straightforward game where I lagged at first but pulled ahead once I started grabbing Rationalism, but now that I've got Arabia's double-oil it's about to get a lot more jihad-tastic. :shifty:

I want to build it, but I haven't had the opportunity. In my last 3 games Venice didn't have desert, I got beat to it in my Napolean game, and I needed units in my most recent game for an overseas war. It's still available, but I'm worried I'll be beat to it, and no Engineers are coming anytime soon. Maybe my next game.

You know, a jihad is supposed to be a purely defensive war? :shifty:

Fatwahbulous then.

Also, I've learned in my research that certain leaders are biased towards certain starts. The game tends to place Venice on the coast, Holland near grass land, Spain near water, Arabia near desert, etc. If you want to give Petra a shot, go for Arabia or Morocco. But you might have to rush it--the AI loves the wonder. You might be able to finish up Tradition and use the free Engineer to build it.

I go to build Petra....

I use a Great Engineer to rush it.

"Napoleon has completed Petra. Here's 250 gold, lol."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH GHHHHHHHHHHHK.

• Like 2

I just had a legitimately heartbreaking moment.

So the path from Arabia to the rest of my continent (Assyria and Sweden) ran through a narrow isthmus, where Ragusa--who has been my ally pretty much all game--was sitting. Ol' Ash was in full wonderspam mode this game and got the Great Wall, and given how that had gone in my Siam game and given the fact that I have massive stockpiles of Arab oil anyway, I knew I was going to use Great War Bombers to take care of my continent. I tried a test run, bringing in Ragusa to help out with the war, and I realized that I couldn't reach any Assyrian cities with any of my planes. I tried multiple cities, no dice.

Then I realized something: I could reach the Assyrian capital and the nearest city if my planes were based in... Ragusa.

I felt like Travis putting down Old Yeller. :crying: NO PA, RAGUSA'S MY DAWG.

• Like 4

Oh yeah, the Shoshone are awesome. The extra land and picking what you want from goody huts are ridiculous. They're really great with Tradition--since they get so much land to start, you can get by with just placing 3-4 well-placed cities and get off to a really fast start.