'Cathartic' Music

Benji

What music do you have that makes you feel 'cathartic'? For me a bit of Audioslave tends to clear the mind well, between the lyrics and the inability not to want to scream along with every vocal and screeching guitar just makes me feel more clear headed. Box Car Racer is another if I'm specifically feeling depressed, it helps me put things in perspective at the very least, even if it doesn't make me feel better.

Kevin Devine is great when I'm feeling down about something. He may have the best voice I've ever heard. Sunny Day Real Estate is another good candidate for those sorts of moods.

Fucking brilliant...been waiting to have an excuse to post this;

Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate)

Mike Hale (no matter how fucking bad you feel, this guy's feeling worse :shifty:)

Peter Broderick

Owen

Eluvium

Stars Of The Lid

Laura Marling (new album especially)

Alcoholic Faith Mission

American Football

...so, generally acoustic stuff (often a little downtrodden lyrically), laid back emo/indie stuff and ambient music, that tends to get me there. Generally stuff I can shut my eyes, lie in bed and just zone out. Owen and Alcoholic Faith Mission get extra props for "randomly tossed in swear words", which make things better.

Also finding some of the current 'pop-punk' albums from this year are great for blowing off steam. Transit's new album ("Keep This To Yourself"...it's the unhinged early Jesse Lacey style delivery that really rings through here) and "The Upsides" by The Wonder Years generally leave me feeling good.

Edited by YI