EWB's Top 50 TV Characters!

Ace

Malcolm Tucker was on my list, shame he wasn't higher up on this, though - I reckon he's the best British comedy creation since Alan Partridge. Definitely Armando Iannucci's finest work in a long while, and he's played so convincingly, he can be genuinely chilling just as often as he can be funny. A very, very powerful character.

Gene Hunt is Malcolm Tucker-lite. I never bothered with Ashes To Ashes, but he had some amusing lines in Life On Mars, so I won't object to him sitting around the tail-end of the list.

Bernard Black is brilliant. Black Books is fantastic, and so much of that is because Bernard is just a great character, especially in the first series. Three members of my immediate family use Black Books quotes as their e-mail addresses. It's fucking brilliant.

I don't much care for the IT Crowd, and really don't see how Moss is a great character at all. I love Richard Ayoade, and obviously he's good at being socially inept, but just don't really care about that series.

Frasier is brilliant - the show went downhill later on (pretty much after Niles and Daphne got together), but he was always a wonderful character. It always struck me as a strange series, though, there was always an awkward mix of high and low-brow comedy, and of cheap sitcom gags sitting next to very well-developed and fleshed out characters. I've often wondered how entirely different it would have seemed without a laughter track.

Also, there are far, far too many episodes in which, for some reason or another, all the central characters end up spending a night in a cabin in the woods, or equivalent.

If I've not mentioned a character, then I haven't a clue who they are (most), or I don't care about them or their TV show (Peggy Olson) .

veronica-mars.jpg

VERONICA MARS (Veronica Mars)

(45 Points – 3 Votes)

young-hilarious-star.jpg

GEORGE MICHAEL BLUTH (Arrested Development)

(48 Points – 3 Votes)

George-Costanza-300x300.jpg

GEORGE COSTANZA (Seinfield)

(54 Points – 3 Votes)

malcolm_reynolds.jpg

CAPTAIN MAL REYNOLDS (Firefly)

(57 Points – 3 Votes – 1 First Place Vote)

psych.jpg

SHAWN SPENCER (Psych)

(60 Points – 3 Votes)

(Coming up next 25 – 29! Spies, Villians, and one of only two Whedon Character on the List!)

blackadder460.jpg

EDMUND BLACKADDER (Blackadder)

(75 Points – 3 Votes – 1 First Place)

T27

sylar.jpg

SYLAR (Heroes)

(76 Points – 4 Votes)

T27

normal_chuck-zachary-levi.jpg

CHUCK BARTOWSKI (Chuck)

(76 Points – 4 Votes)

T25

JamesMarsters_spike-thumb-400x300-15652.jpg

SPIKE (BtVS/Angel)

(78 Points – 3 Votes – 1 First Place)

T25

18661644.jpg

LEROY JETHRO GIBBS (NCIS)

78 Points – 3 Votes – 1 First Place)

{Coming Up Next! The first of 3 LOST characters, An Agent with a Black heart, and a man that should know better then to talk about the war)

Wow, seriously? I thought Spike was going to place much higher, though I'm glad he didn't. He has two great seasons (Buffy season two, Angel season five), two fairly enoyable seasons (Buffy season four and five), an insanely uneven season (Buffy season seven) and is one of the worst parts of the worst season of Buffy in season six. He's fun, but anywhere above this point would have been overrating him big time.

Aside from Sylar (who is fine in season one but I refuse to watch Heroes beyond that point, and it sounds like I would have grown to have become very sick of him), and Gibbs (I don't watch NCIS), this is a good batch overall.

Seeing as I put him at number one, I wish Spike would've gotten a lot higher. He was pure gold, as GoGo touched on, in Angel Season 5. And was consistantly one of the high points of Buffy. The rest is good, too. Blackadder is a classic and Sylar's pretty enjoyable in Heroes, barring Season 2. Then again, the only good thing in season 2 was David Anders.

T27

sylar.jpg

SYLAR (Heroes)

(76 Points – 4 Votes)

T27

normal_chuck-zachary-levi.jpg

CHUCK BARTOWSKI (Chuck)

(76 Points – 4 Votes)

{Coming Up Next! The first of 3 LOST characters, An Agent with a Black heart, and a man that should know better then to talk about the war)

Forget that. This is the greatest injustice in this thread, ever. I didn't vote for either...but just guess which one of them I hate.

Glad to see Mac make it on the list. I was sure only Charlie would make it on the list. That's if he did, in fact, make it on there. Loved Michael Scofield in the first two seasons of Prison Break, and that's all I've seen. Haven't found the time to watch the rest, although I'd love to. George Michael and Chuck are two I definitely like a lot, yet I don't think I voted for either.

ari-gold.jpg

ARI GOLD (Entourage)

88 Points – 4 Votes

don-draper-picture.jpg

DON DRAPER (Mad Men)

92 Points – 4 Votes

2082704096_99494f08fc.jpg

BASIL FAWLTY (Fawlty Towers)

108 Points – 4 Votes

blinus3.jpg

BENJAMIN LINUS (LOST)

110 Points – 5 Votes

the-office-michael-scott.png

MICHAEL SCOTT (The Office)

112 Points – 4 Votes

{Coming up Next We start the top 20! Now with added quotes!

Also, for those yet to send me their blurbs, can you please get them to me within the next few days. And I'm looking for one more volunteer to write a blurb as well.}

Really shocked to see Ben so low there, though I did always think his character was second best to guys like Locke and Sawyer and his fantastic acting made it more intriguing. I haven't seen a lot of these shows so I probably won't be able to say that I think Ben should've been higher than a lot of guys, but there's bound to be some in there that he deserves to be higher than. Other than that, Basil is fantastic and Fawlty Towers will likely always be my favourite comedy (Friends runs it close but it dropped off a little too much in the late-middle seasons where exaggerated Ross is basically the only thing I like about it), I couldn't get into Mad Men at all, Carrell's character annoyed me whenever I've seen The Office and I always preferred the supporting cast (probably because Brent > Scott so hard I can't get it out of my head while I'm watching, whereas the US support characters are probably better) and Ari Gold seems like a cool guy, but I've only seen a few Entourage episodes scrambled across the series so I can't get a good appreciation of it.