Minecraft!

Sousa

I found a greyish tree with bits of black on it. Of course this was after I had died when I loaded the game and, thinking I was safe, went to the toilet only to find myself dead upon my return. Of course, I'm having a hell of a time finding my way back home. <_<

Phew, found it. Now i'm gonna see if I can find the place I died so I collect the materials I found and make a compass so I can mark my way back to my spawn point.

Without trying to deliberately bring up "Kiwis Fuck Sheep" I'm definitely keen on having a farm of multicultural coloured sheep.

I haven't been on yet since the update but my son has. I showed him a couple of the update videos on youtube

He went straight after the sheep. and flowers to make colourful wool, but got upset when he couldn't make blue or purple dye.

He made Sandstone and couldn't make a Dispenser as he doesn't have redstone (He hardly ever goes deep underground)

Thought as much... I hadn't seen that error before though. I usually got "Outdated Client"

With all these new updates and such and knowing that a lot of work has been put into a small section on this world,

Would it be out of the question to reset a new world?

I know for a fact that 90% of the cave systems in our area have been raped of all it's contents so It'll be very difficult to find the blue stuff.

Just throwing it out there :P

First, on how to play online with the outdated server client.

Minecraft Beta 1.2 Update & Multiplay Servers

Jan 13 2011 17:14:10 by Deehem

As I'm sure many of you are aware, the 1.2 Update for Minecraft is about to be released.

Multiplay's services rely on the use of hMod to be able to control the server and provide you with all of the features you find in Clanforge, in particular world management and Live Control/RCON.

We've also experienced in the past that fresh updates of Minecraft are very unstable and any addons you have on your server will break. Basically, a great deal of disruption which can be avoided by not upgrading until key addons have been updated and any base server code bugs can be fixed by Notch.

Because of these reason we'll be doing the same we did with the last major Minecraft update, and keeping our servers running 1.1 until the release becomes more stable and a hMod/Bukkit version compatible with the new update is released.

To continue playing on your server you'll need to make sure you have the correct version of the client still installed on your machine.

We'll be adding a download that contains the correct files and instructions on how best to use it very soon, so watch this space!

Update: The instructions for rolling back the client are now available on our Community Forums.

http://forums.multiplay.co.uk/minecraft/79078-beta-1-2-update-multiplay-servers

I love how they phrase that, they are just not getting shit updated in time because they are not or paying only very little to the modder. >_>

As for resetting, we could do it if you guys want to. We could also just meet up and wander in one direction long enough untill we find something we like. (i should be able to reset the spawnpoint).

Wen i download a backup of the this world, i belive it should be compatible for offline play if you just copy it into a world folder (but i am not 100% shure)

I also forgot wen we need to renew the server, might be february, will check tommorow.

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane

aquabase_002.png

My new world has this awesome lava pool. I took a picture of it before I perverted its natural beauty by claiming all the lava for myself. Also, I've found a badass cave system and two zombie-spawning dungeons right under my base. Aquabase is awesome.

aquabase_001.png

Basically, I built the far wall right against the contours of the surface ice. I had to patch up a few squares with glass, but I think it still looks pretty neat. Wall here is snow, while the tunnel is glass and sandstone, which is my new favorite building material.

aquabase_003.png

Here's what it looks like from the surface at night. I think the best part is that monsters generally don't wander over the water at night without something to point them in that direction, and I don't think the torch light below the ice is enough to attract them. There are about 3 torches on top of the entrance, which is made out of brick, but otherwise, it's pretty inconspicuous.

My plan is for the sandstone tunnel to lead outward into a larger glass base under standard water, with different domes for raising plants and doing other sciencey stuff. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to finish the tree, because I like this a lot more, and so far it hasn't required copious amounts of gathering since I did a lot of it anyway just by hollowing out the area under the ice.

I love and hate this current world so much. There are caves everywhere, but now one of my routes in to the awesome caves I found has run in to the extension for my house. Which sucks since I want a room for my wool collection, so now I'm going to have to swap sides and my staircase too <_<

Also, I swear I had the quietest run ever in the Nether earlier. I think I ran in to a total of like, 4 Ghasts and a fair few Pigmen. It was just weirdly easy and I got a ton of Glowstone :D

How in the world do you build a base under water?

It's not as complicated as it seems to be. Let me demonstrate. With pictures.

The first thing you have to understand is that there are two types of water tiles: water sources (springs) and flowing water. When you grab water in a bucket, you're essentially filling the bucket with one cube of a spring. The key thing to remember is that when you fill a spring tile with another type of tile, the spring is destroyed--more importantly, though, if there aren't two springs on adjacent sides, they won't regenerate.

water_before.png

So we have three water spring tiles here.

Let's fill them in with dirt.

water_inprogress.png

And then we get rid of the dirt tiles where the water springs used to be...

water_voila.png

No water!

Now, we can extrapolate this idea toward bodies of water--which are 99% water spring cubes. If we can fill in these cubes with another type of tile, then prevent water from flowing back in, we can create a pocket of air.

Small-scale project here: making an underwater lantern.

lantern_01.png

This picture's not entirely accurate; one of the four needs to be a cube on which you can attach a torch. I went with three glass and one dirt. Put a cross like this in place, then cover the top with glass as well--essentially, you're surrounding a water spring on all sides except one with either glass or dirt.

lantern_02.png

Swim under it. Fill in the surrounded water spring with dirt. Get rid of the dirt. The spring will be gone.

lantern_03.png

The result is a pocket of air where you can put a torch. If you're building or digging underwater, you can also surface here to refresh your oxygen. Putting a torch in, though, makes it easier to light up the murky depths if you don't have a Jack-o-lantern or glowstone.

lantern_04.png

lantern_05.png

So essentially, building underwater has three steps:

1. Create the framework for what you want to build--the walls, the ceiling, what have you.

2. Fill in the other area with dirt or another substance (wool works, and you can burn it away afterward, but you'll lose the wool).

3. Get rid of the stuff in the middle.

My tunnel's been built gradually outward.

tunnel_01.png

Here it is before.

To expand it, I start by building the framework of the next segment of the hallway out of sandstone and glass. Make sure this framework is filled in with dirt. Then--and this is key--fill in one additional layer of dirt.

tunnel_02.png

All this requires working underwater. Surface frequently, and work during the day. It's a slow process.

The extra layer of dirt does two things: it prevents water from rushing in, and it sets the stage for the next segment. You can do this a few times if you want, but no matter how much you do, make sure that, in the end, there's something to keep water from pouring in.

Then you climb back inside your structure and start plowing dirt away.

tunnel_03.png

Boom!

tunnel_04.png

Underwater base.