Kanye West "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy"

RPS

I wasn't much of a fan of Nicki until hearing Monster for the first time a few weeks back. My opinion on her was always "Lil' Kim did Lil' Kim better" but Monster really showed a solid side of her.

The funny thing is that when I heard Monster, I immediately thought, "You know who was better than this? Lil' Kim."

I wasn't much of a fan of Nicki until hearing Monster for the first time a few weeks back. My opinion on her was always "Lil' Kim did Lil' Kim better" but Monster really showed a solid side of her.

Check it Out was a pretty wicked song, I've not really heard a bad song from her

Check It Out is decent, if only for the beat, but I think it's one of those songs that loses something over repeated listens. It's catchy, but neither Will I. Am or Nicki Manaj really has any good verses. Plus, I get taken out of that song by all the annoying bragging lyrics that are ridiculous if you stop and think about them (I'm a big balla, you a little smalla, step up to my level gotta grow a little talla). I would have probably enjoyed the song more minus Manaj.

Also, why the hell do rappers feel the need to mispronounce words in order to rhyme them? I can forgive it a little bit but Nicki Manaj just does it too much for my liking.

Also also, fuck is the autotuning of her voice annoying. It inspires rage, pure unadulterated rage.

Yeah anyone who hates on that verse Nicki Minaj did on Monster is insane. Especially if you are gonna not mention how Jay Z sounds like an old geezer on the track.

I think one of my problems with Monster is that it seems like a Kanye West song only guest-starring Kanye West. He makes a small appearance and then just seems to leave the song for the rest of the people to finish off. My secondary problem is how the beat seems to drop. And it's a pretty good beat too. The Rick Ross verse was okay (about as much as I expect from Rick Ross, also tolerable since it doesn't overstay its welcome). The beat seems to drop when Jay-Z's verse starts and that whole verse isn't that good to begin with. I don't mind Jay but I could have done without him, especially if that meant the beat continued. Seriously, I'm convinced the beat gets lost about halfway through the song. As for Nicki Manaj, I must be crazy because I still think she sucks. Her verses on Monster did absolutely nothing for me.

Any stand-out songs for anyone else? I am finding that I really like the singles (excluding Monster >_> ) but I am really loving All of the Lights and Lost in the World.

Really, the only song I dislike is So Appalled, and I don't really dislike it, I just don't think it stacks up in comparison. Hands down the best three songs are Power, Runaway and Lost In the World, but everything else is top notch.

After listening to it straight through, production-wise and the point of the songs, I think it's Kanye's best album. I actually like So Appalled until the last dude comes on (I think it was RZA, which makes me sad), then I get the wtf? thought going through my mind. Jay-Z's verse on So Appalled is way better than his Monster verse, and I would say the same for Rick Ross' on Devil in a New Dress, except he really didn't have a verse on Monster.

Now I need to find the bonus track with Big Sean

Nikki Minaj went nuts in Monster, and I think easily had the best lines. I'm not a big fan of her at all, but she really stole the show.

Overall this album is incredible. I think it's Kanye's best work so far. Not including the singles my other favorites are Gorgeous, All of the Lights, & Hell of a Life.

I like Nicki Minaj on Monster.

And Gorgeous is a fucking awesome track. Especially digging the whole "I treat the cash like the government treats AIDs/I won't be satisfied til all my niggas get it, get it?" part

This isn't five stars like Rolling Stone said, but...it's really good. I'll eat crow and admit that most of Kanye's whims here led to great things, and things that I actually enjoy more in a full length record than the others. That said, did ALL of the songs need to go a ridiculously long time? This isn't a Mars Volta record, I like a beat to stay for about four/five minutes before cutting, and here, there seems to be a lot of points where it stays almost a little too long. I suppose it doesn't take away from the music, but there is art in stopping when it's hot (that's why this board isn't a Phish love board, after all). But it's worthy to keep jamming to. Up there with The Suburbs as a close record of the year contender.

I really like this overall, although some of the guest spots were kind of weird (RZA's stands out, So Appalled was a good song and RZA is great, but he spits one line then says fucking ridiculous like 100 times. If he just threw down a verse or two it would have been much better.) Lots of Guests but that's fine, most of them were good.

There was an Aphex Twin sample, though. ;)

I'm sure if there are any little sticker reviews on the album cover, that'll be the one. Pitchfork is on album cover stickers just as much as Rolling Stone is nowadays. Doesn't hurt that both of these publications rated the album in the perfect zone. I'm inclined to agree.

Devil in a New Dress has been growing on me. I loved it when it was released as a GOOD Friday track. I love that fucking guitar solo, distortion and than the Rick Ross verse. Fucking epic shit right there. And it's got the line that sums it all up; "hard to be humble when your stuntin on a jumbotron."

So, has anyone actually purchased the album? I got it yesterday on my way home from work and have been listening to it in my car ever since. I have to say that it has grown on me even more. Maybe it's because I'm listening to it on much better speakers, but the production is just amazing. 'Ye really outdid himself on this one.

I've come to really like "All Of The Lights" (minus the Fergie "verse", if you want to call it that), and I'm starting to dig "Hell Of A Life" as well. Everything else ranges from good to great, and there's really nothing to complain about except some of the unnecessary features. Rick Ross, RZA, Raekwon and Fergie fall into that category for me.

As far as his discography goes, it's 1. Graduation, 2. Late Registration, 3. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, 4. College Dropout and 5. 808's & Heartbreak, in my humble opinion.

As for Nicki Minaj, I've listened to her album and it's much better than I expected. A few tracks just don't do it for me, but it's actually a very decent rookie effort. She's a good rapper, but she needs to drop a lot of the Drake and Lil Wayne punchlines that she has seem to inherit from them and just focus on her true talent. I also really don't get the Lil Kim comparisons because they rap nothing alike to me. Perhaps that is the bias coming out of me, because I never really got the big deal about Kim in the first place.

Monster is quickly becoming my favourite track on this album solely because of Nicki Minaj.

MONEY SO TALL MY BARBIE'S GOTTA CLIMB IT