USB (vs Bluetooth) Headsets

King Ellis

So, i've been in need of a headset for my PS3 since I got the thing last month but it occured to me during the recent podcast talk in the Ring that I could probably do with one for my PC too, especially with Diablo 3 on the horizon (which you will all get, damnit).

Now, a little reading up on the subject tells me that a USB headset on PS3 will not play the game sound over the headset, rather just the chat. Which is fine for me, that's all I want, it's the way it works on 360. I see some headsets though listed as having noise cancelling headphones. That immidiately makes me think that you could end up not hearing the in game sounds since it's gonna be chat only. Anyone use a similar setup and can comment on it?

Also, i'm gonna want a similar setup for PC games too. I.E game through speakers, chat through headset. I've seen that this can be somewhat difficult unless for some games unless you just go the VOIP route and just have a seperate chat on Mumble or something. Again, anyone got any comments on that?

Finally, just looking for some suggestions really. I'm in the UK so take that into account, looking to spend up to around £20, I guess.

Oh yeah, it'll need a built in volume control too, with a mute function preferably. As in, to mute the mic.

Cheers!

Oh come on, Bluetooth dongle for £3 and Sony Bluetooth Headset for £10, solves all problems.

Works on PS3, you can still hear the game, works on a pc, volume control.

But I already tell you this and you refuse to listen.

Edited by Version Dan

Exactly, you'll still be able to hear the game instead of noise cancelling headphones, don't think Bluetooth headsets play the game sound.

http://www.play.com/...|prd:hotukdeals

That one says it can be left for 20 days before it needs charging.

Edit:

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/6704615/Official-Sony-PS3-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518|cat:6704615|prd:6704615

Could always get that.

Edited by Version Dan

I have a MadCatz headset, made for the PS3, and it works well.

I only paid about a tenner for it about two years ago - I'd say the talk-time is about 6-8 hours, but then it's rare that I'm playing online for too long using it, so putting it on charge for an hour while I play another game is no problem.

The tl;dr is, don't over-think it, hurry up and fucking get one and get on Uncharted 2, you scum.

I have some dinky little offbrand bluetooth headset that has crazy battery life. I can play for 3 or 4 hours a day for about as many days before it starts needing a recharge, and you don't hear in-game sounds through it (unless someone else has their volume jacked way the fuck up).

I have a USB headset for the PS3 myself. Cheap $20 rocketfish one. No volume control but otherwise very good quality.