2011 ICC World Cup Thread

sahyder1

If Shahzad could just get a little more consistent (especially in terms of the length that the ball pitches), he could really be an asset for England because some of his deliveries are pretty much unplayable.

Regardless of there being only four wickets to get, I can still only see this going right down to the wire...because it's England...and it's this World Cup. Shit's happened before, yo.

Group B as it stands:

IND - 4 games - 7 points

WI - 4 games - 6 points

ENG - 5 games - 5 points

SA - 3 games - 4 points

BAN - 4 games - 4 points

IRE - 4 games - 2 points

NED - 4 games - 0 points

Remaining Fixtures:

IND vs. SA (Tomorrow)

BAN vs. NED (14th)

IRE vs. SA (15th)

ENG vs. WI (17th)

IRE vs. NED (18th)

BAN vs. SA (19th)

IND vs. WI (20th)

If Bangladesh beat the Netherlands, then England are so fucking screwed. I just don't see us beating West Indies at all. :(

First Ireland, now Bangladesh.

And in between, you beat South Africa.

England, you inconsistent Bastards. I tip my hat to such up and down performances :D

Group B as it stands:

IND - 4 games - 7 points

WI - 4 games - 6 points

ENG - 5 games - 5 points

SA - 3 games - 4 points

BAN - 4 games - 4 points

IRE - 4 games - 2 points

NED - 4 games - 0 points

Remaining Fixtures:

IND vs. SA (Tomorrow)

BAN vs. NED (14th)

IRE vs. SA (15th)

ENG vs. WI (17th)

IRE vs. NED (18th)

BAN vs. SA (19th)

IND vs. WI (20th)

If Bangladesh beat the Netherlands, then England are so fucking screwed. I just don't see us beating West Indies at all. :(

Why not, we obviously raise our game against the better opposition. Plus it's back on the ground where we played SA, and therefore need a good spinner here and there, we have that, not sure the West Indies spinners are up to the quality of ours. I think we will do it!

Why not, we obviously raise our game against the better opposition. Plus it's back on the ground where we played SA, and therefore need a good spinner here and there, we have that, not sure the West Indies spinners are up to the quality of ours. I think we will do it!

Three words (kinda): Kieron Pollard's batting. He'll tear apart Anderson if Jimmy bowls like he did today.

The point about raising our game against the better opposition is fair enough though - I just don't think we have enough aggressiveness in our batting line-up to outhit the West Indians, and I think we'll need to do that. Plus, if we wanted to introduce another spinner to help out Swann, then our options are either Collingwood's off-cutters, which can stifle but are hittable, or we bring in James Tredwell, who hasn't played yet and offers nothing different to Swann, in terms of style.

Anything could happen though - I didn't think we'd get anything out of the game with India, to be frank, and the bowling against the South Africans was brilliant. If they get the same reaction from the pitch, then it's doable. I certainly hope we can do it, anyway. :)

It's extremely hard to smash the ball out of the ground on that pitch. Far easier to do it on a nice track like the Windies have been playing on up until now. The pitch doesn't suit them, plus we have already had the oppertunity to play on it. I can see us strangling, our quickies won't get 10 overs each. 10 for Swann, 10 for Yardy and prob 10 for the off cutters of Colly. Pollard will struggle on that track. I also don't agree with putting Pollards threat above that of Gayle, despite him not being in great form.

Oh shit yeah, forgot about Michael Yardy - I don't particularly rate the guy, to be honest, especially when you consider his form in the World Cup so far. Just had a quick check and he's taken 2 wickets for 159 over three games, and that's in 26 overs, so you're looking at over 6 an over. He also got 9-1-46-1 against South Africa at Chennai and had the worst economy of all of our bowlers (even Pietersen bowled more miserly).

Gayle's a great opening batsman, but I'm just going off who is in form at the moment and that's Pollard and Smith. Plus, isn't Gayle injured at the moment? :/