2011 ICC World Cup Thread

sahyder1

Say Scenario 1 happens, and England meet Sri Lanka, would beating them mean they'd face the winner of NZ-SA (my logic being winner of QF3 vs. winner of QF4) or would there be a straight draw for the semi's?

My understanding is that the winners of the 1st and 3rd QF will play and the winners of the 2nd and 4th QF will play. This be overruled if India and Sri Lanka are playing in two separate semi finals. India will play its knockout round games at home. Sri Lanka will play at home unless they are facing India. Bangladesh (if they make it) will play at home unless they're playing India or Sri Lanka.

I like the fact that if India win they play Australia, that would be one hell of a match. Not sure about England vs Sri Lanka, the pitch would be made to suit Sri Lanka. We have, however, showed ourselves to be capable to holding our own against the better nations, here's hoping we pull it out of the bag again.

Semi-Finals Scenarios.

India-Pakistan semi-final possible in Mohali

If both India and Pakistan win their quarter-finals, the crowd in Mohali could be in for a treat

S Rajesh

March 20, 2011

India's win against West Indies means the quarter-final line-ups are sealed, with the intriguing possibility of an India-Pakistan semi-final in Mohali. But before that, India will need to get past Australia in Ahmedabad on March 24, while Pakistan will have to defeat West Indies in Mirpur on March 23.

The result of the last group match also means Sri Lanka will not need to play outside Colombo till the final, if they get that far. Sri Lanka's quarter-final will be against England at the Premadasa Stadium, a venue where they've won 29 ODIs and lost 17 since 2000. The winner of that game will play the winner of the third quarter-final in Mirpur, between South Africa and New Zealand. That semi-final will again be played in Colombo, which means both India and Sri Lanka have the chance to maximise their home advantage.

However, since the Mohali semi-final is the second one, on March 30, it means the winner of the first quarter-final, between Pakistan and West Indies, will have a six-day break, while India or Australia will have five. On the other hand, the winner of the last quarter-final, between Sri Lanka and England, will only get two days before they play their semi-final, though they'll have the advantage of playing at the same venue.

S Rajesh is stats editor of ESPNcricinfo

A Pakistan/India match up would be awesome. Pakistan is long overdue for a World Cup win against India.

Thank God Darryl Harper is not an on field umpire for the Pakistan game.

Link

Pakistan v West Indies, Mirpur, March 23

On field umpires: Billy Bowden and Steve Davis

Third umpire: Daryl Harper

Fourth umpire: Bruce Oxenford

Match referee: Chris Broad

India v Australia, Ahmedabad, March 24

On field umpires: Marais Erasmus and Ian Gould

Third umpire: Richard Kettleborough

Fourth umpire: Asad Rauf

Match referee: Ranjan Madugalle

South Africa v New Zealand, Mirpur, March 25

On field umpires: Aleem Dar and Rod Tucker

Third umpire: Kumar Dharmasena

Fourth umpire: Nigel Llong

Match referee: Roshan Mahanama

Sri Lanka v England, Colombo, March 26

On field umpires: Billy Doctrove and Simon Taufel

Third umpire: Tony Hill

Fourth umpire: Shavir Tarapore

Match referee: Jeff Crowe

Where do you guys stand on the issue of walking? It is back in the news with Ponting not walking vs Pakistan and Tendulkar walking versus West Indies. I think guys should walk but in this day in age I really don't expect these to be that honest so when someone does walk it is actually nice to see. I used to like Ponting at one point but his fall from the top hasn't been graceful at all over the past year.

Can't wait for the Quarterfinals to kickoff in the morning. Definitely waking up early for the 4:30 AM start.

Also this is a good read. It looks into Power Play and UDRS stats. Asoka De Silva has already been dropped for the knockout rounds (and likely from the Elite Panel) as a result of his disastrous performance.

Edited by sahyder1

Tendulkar hasn't walked before.

I think, with the replays and challenges we have now (which I do think is a good idea), we're going to see more batsmen not walking, or challenging just in case. An English batsman did it during the Ashes because there was no snicko so he assumed, rightly, that the technology being used (the heat sensitive one) wouldn't pick it up properly - and it didn't.

Personally I'd walk and have done in the past, but with so much riding on games you can see why players wouldn't - it also forces other teams to use one of their challenges in order to get you out.

Gayle out in the 3rd over! HUGE wicket for Gul.

Edit: Afridi has pulled a rabbit out of the hat here. Opening the bowling with Hafeez and he just picked up two HUGE wickets.

West Indies is 16.3 after 5.4

Edited by sahyder1

The 3 Pakistani spinners are 7-47 in 19.5 overs. What a performance. Probably have to keep Ajmal in the squad for the Semi Finals and Finals if its gets to it. The guy is so consistent. Nothing against Rehman who's been solid but there isn't a better middle overs bowling combination in ODI then Afridi and Ajmal right now.

Absolutely dominating performance from start to finish. Great stuff from Afridi today. Great call to open the bowling Hafeez. Great call to bring back Ajmal. Rehman has been solid this World Cup but Saeed Ajmal has to be in the playing XI for the next game. I can't say enough about th energy Afridi brings to this team on and off the field. I expect Wahab Riaz to sit and for Shoaib Akhtar to come back into the playing XI. If India wins tomorrow the atmosphere in Mohali will be absolutely insane on Tuesday.

Today was a national holiday in Pakistan and I can only imagine the celebration that is going on in the streets of Karachi and Lahore right now.

Edited by sahyder1

What does Sammy bring to the side? He's dropped two or three better players than he is and he is still there being completely average. They need to sack him from the captaincy and drop him from the side. Dropping Russell and Benn just isn't helpful, they have been the best performers for the Windies throughout this competition.

I also cannot wait for Saturday, I think Eoin Morgans gonna win the game for England.

Couldn't care less who wins here but Pakistan/India is the money match. The atmosphere for that will be insane.

Great innings from Ponting and boy did he need it. I think it is his first century in 13 months.

260 looks like a fairly competitive total on this track.