2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

I think at some point there will be someone to pitch back-to-back no hitters. I would expect quite a few pitching accomplishments to be equaled or surpassed over the next few years until rules/strategies are changed to lead to more offensive production.

What kind of rules would they implement to lead to more offensive production? I don't think there's any way they would really start doing things like that, but it would be interesting to hear your opinions on some realistic rule changes to increase offensive production.

I honestly just think that we just go through cycles of great hitting, then great pitching. Strategies change along the years and things like that. I definitely agree with strategies changing, so that it would be more even, but I'm definitely curious if anyone thinks some rule changes would even things out.

They lowered the mound in 1969 and shortly after that the AL added the Designated Hitter. These were both done to add offensive production that had been lost in the age of Koufax, Gibson, and the like. There's subtle changes they could make, an NL rule where you pinch-hit for the starter for one at-bat but he can continue to pitch until his next turn in the order for example. Similar to the DH rule, but a different take on it. Stadiums could adapt and try making themselves more hitter-friendly. I'm sure if it were really put up to a serious discussion there's quite a few subtle changes that could be made, and baseball's a game of subtleties.

Though I do agree there are cycles of great hitting and great pitching. When pitching is at a high, teams spend their resources trying to develop hitting, and vice versa.

I think at some point there will be someone to pitch back-to-back no hitters. I would expect quite a few pitching accomplishments to be equaled or surpassed over the next few years until rules/strategies are changed to lead to more offensive production.

What kind of rules would they implement to lead to more offensive production? I don't think there's any way they would really start doing things like that, but it would be interesting to hear your opinions on some realistic rule changes to increase offensive production.

I honestly just think that we just go through cycles of great hitting, then great pitching. Strategies change along the years and things like that. I definitely agree with strategies changing, so that it would be more even, but I'm definitely curious if anyone thinks some rule changes would even things out.

They lowered the mound in 1969 and shortly after that the AL added the Designated Hitter. These were both done to add offensive production that had been lost in the age of Koufax, Gibson, and the like. There's subtle changes they could make, an NL rule where you pinch-hit for the starter for one at-bat but he can continue to pitch until his next turn in the order for example. Similar to the DH rule, but a different take on it. Stadiums could adapt and try making themselves more hitter-friendly. I'm sure if it were really put up to a serious discussion there's quite a few subtle changes that could be made, and baseball's a game of subtleties.

Though I do agree there are cycles of great hitting and great pitching. When pitching is at a high, teams spend their resources trying to develop hitting, and vice versa.

Are we seriously trying to turn this into the Little Leagues?

Are we seriously trying to turn this into the Little Leagues?

I don't see why that wouldn't be considered. I agree it sounds pretty asinine, but if people get bored from a lack of offense (hint: they will, it happened before) then this will be one of the first ideas on the table along with a full-DH rule for the NL.

EDIT: I take that back. They're Red Sox fans. Fuck 'em. :shifty:

*sigh*

I think I'm the only Red Sox fan around here.

Nope, got your back, my nextstate neighbor

Raise your hands if you thought Jose Bautista would repeat his great season from last year?

.......now put them back down all of you liars.

Homerun #14 from him today. He is hitting .360 on the season.

Edit: Make that 15 now.

Edited by sahyder1

14 did you say?

Got the edit in just a second before you posted that. 15 HRs in 112 ABs is one hell of a pace.

Where do you guys stand on this Posada/Yankees war of words? I can't believe people are actually trying to defend Posada in this.

Edited by sahyder1