2011 MLB Season

sahyder1

Here is the idiot who almost got himself killed last night. Credit to ' class="bbc_url">@chinny

for the pic.

344087803.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1310496555&Signature=vvlWhPFpmmWZzXXLky1NFFqE7VI%3D

3e43b9785b894433bff148d366ebf574_7.jpg

This photo is from the AP.

On the topic of All-Star game pullouts they should put in a mini DL. If you're named to the all-star game and you skip the game you should miss the first series back. Even SPs who won't pitch in the game because they pitched on Sunday should still show up. I was going to say let the commish have the power to make special exceptions but Selig made a ridiculous statement today that if he was Jeter he would have skipped the game too. This is the commissioner of the league making this comment.

Players who skip the game should also not get the bonus. The fact that guys like Jeter will be getting All-Star bonuses despite not showing up is a joke.

They do show up. Atleast Cole Hamels is there, not sure about the others though. The MLB rule that a pitcher who pitched Sunday can't play is stupid anyway. Cole Hamels was complaining that he'd be throwing a bullpen session today anyway, usually 25-30 pitches, and he would rather start the game today

They do show up. Atleast Cole Hamels is there, not sure about the others though. The MLB rule that a pitcher who pitched Sunday can't play is stupid anyway. Cole Hamels was complaining that he'd be throwing a bullpen session today anyway, usually 25-30 pitches, and he would rather start the game today

Sabathia is in the Bahamas AND still collecting bonus money for being named an all-star.

I don't have a problem with the "Sunday Rule". It is a necessary evil.

One thing I find funny, which is a bit off the current topic, is Chipper Jones has been playing all season with a slight tear of his MCL, The same injury that A-Rod has. Chipper, at 39 Years old is playing through the pain so that he doesn't have to sit out 4-6 weeks. A-Rod elects to get the surgery. I'm not going to question A-Rods toughness, just his commitment. Jones has stuck through it all season and earned himself an All-Star season. Likely his last season at that. That's a dedicated guy.

Yeah, it's probably his last season, hence he doesn't want it cut short by injury. A-Rod however, will be playing for a few more years.

As a Yankee fan I'm personally embarrassed that 4 of the 5 guys that don't go are Yankees, especially Jeter. The fans want to see the captain at this game. He just hit for 3,000, and not to mention the fans voted for him to start despite the fact he had back-up infield numbers. Show up to the game.

• Like 2

Pretty sure the general concensus was that we didn't want Jeter at the game actually. :P

• Like 1

Pretty sure the general concensus was that we didn't want Jeter at the game actually. :P

Agreed. I will enjoy the game a lot more with no Jeter but it makes the MLB look like a joke. You can't sell the game as counting and then have the commissioner condone guys missing games. Why isn't the "game's best ambassador" as he's been called all week everywhere not showing up to at least get introduced? I don't think it is too much to ask for $500K.

Can you imagine the uproar from the media and fans if A-Rod had decided to stay at home for an All-Star after reaching a milestone just days earlier?

Edited by sahyder1

It's always fun to watch how different the media treats Jeter and A-Rod here in NY. One example is the fact that Jeter is Captain Clutch, yet the last time he had a walk-off was like 2005. A-Rod on the other hand is "not clutch" yet I can think of about 5-10 huge hits right off the top of my head that he's had in just the past few years.

Also, this may be my NY bias, but personally I was disgusted to see Tyler Clippard pitching before. Granted I don't know too much about him, but is he really one of the best pitchers in baseball?

Also, this may be my NY bias, but personally I was disgusted to see Tyler Clippard pitching before. Granted I don't know too much about him, but is he really one of the best pitchers in baseball?

I think you need to take a closer look at his stats. He's been great out of the pen.

Can't believe the Brewers took that deal, not sure if they're picking up a lot of his salary or what. It's likely a last ditch effort to free up money for Reyes, damning him to a few injury plagued years and retirement at 32.

Well, the Brewers also received cash and apparently the Brewers really like depth and hell...they have that even more now. The Mets do need pitching though so I hope they grab some hot pitching prospects off the Brewers.

The deal was just to get rid of the contract. I wonder how much K-Rod's decision to hire Boras expedited this. The Brewers farm system is supposed to be terrible but credit to Alderson for for being ae to get rid of the contract. Hopefully Parnell/Isribghausen can hold together the bac end of the bullpen.

K-Rod will probably just be a setup guy in Milwaukee right now. If I had to guess I would say Mets sent over $3.5 million which would cover the buyout for next year.

Yeah the Brewers have one of the worst farm systems in baseball after the Greinke trade. They don't really have a choice but to stockpile whatever and whoever they can and go all-in this year. In a couple of years everyone but Braun is going to be gone. That said, they picked the most versatile one of their stars to build around and if they manage Weeks, Greinke, Gallardo, and others right they could quickly replenish their farm system and compete in the latter part of the decade (after, of course, some horrendous seasons in 2013, 2014, 2015).

Don't forget the Marcum trade. Lawrie was the top prospect in their system and that trade was pre-Grienke. Also didn't they extend Rickie Weeks through like 2015?