2011 MLS Season Thread

HailtotheYo

Objectively speaking, LA were the best team this season and deserved it, and this will probably be good for the Sounders assuming we're getting one of their two CCL group stage spots for being the second-best team during the regular season + US Open Cup winners. But on a personal level I'm disappointed that my least favorite team in MLS won (honorable mentions: Portland and Colorado) and that nobody could spoil their season.

Objectively speaking, b]LA were the best team this season and deserved it, and this will probably be good for the Sounders assuming we're getting one of their two CCL group stage spots for being the second-best team during the regular season + US Open Cup winners. But on a personal level I'm disappointed that my least favorite team in MLS won (honorable mentions: Portland and Colorado) and that nobody could spoil their season.

This all day long.

You get the CCL spot for being the Open Cup winner ... so your taking of LA's second spot actually goes to RSL (third on points).

Also, on the Beckham front ... I'm glad he won it for one main reason. Most people will shut the fuck up about him and perhaps finally realize and acknowledge just how much good he's done for the league.

Beckham-kisses-cup.jpg

Guest mr. potato head

Greg Sutton would have to be a really tempting pick for goalkeeper, I'd think, especially since he was loaned to Montreal last season anyhow. They should be able to put together a solid team off that list.

The picks

Sorry Meacon ...

They also took Riley but immediately shipped him and allocation money to Chivas for Braun and Mayen. They also sent allocation money Seattle for Tyson Wahl.

On the Ching pick ... WTF ? They going to try and trade him back to Houston ? Ching flat out said he'd retire if selected. Wow.

Oh, and also:

new_kits2.jpg

Bummer about Riley, not too fussed about losing Wahl. Good for setpieces and all but not actually that great a defender. Top priority for the Sounders in the offseason aside from signing Keller's replacement has to be solidifying defense. A flashy new striker would be nice and all but nowhere near as important as fixing the defense that let in so many early goals this season.

including the way the games are broadcast (you can hardly see who anyone is!)

You're going to have to explain that one.

And GoGo ... you guys already have your shiny new striker, his name is O'Brian White Sammy Ochoa

Fixed.

For real, though, I thought they were going to take Mike Fucito and we'd have to close down our church and everything. Luckily we get to keep the faith!

And GoGo ... you guys already have your shiny new striker, his name is O'Brian White Sammy Ochoa

Fixed.

For real, though, I thought they were going to take Mike Fucito and we'd have to close down our church and everything. Luckily we get to keep the faith!

I was only half joking about White. Yes though, Ochoa (if they can get him to lay off the tortillas and tamales) does look pretty damn good going forward.

I didn't think they'd take a FWD ... no way they aren't going to make a "splash" with a DP up front or in the AM. I'll be outright shocked if they don't move for Anelka.

And GoGo ... you guys already have your shiny new striker, his name is O'Brian White :pervert:

For example I was watching Liverpool vs. Chelsea on Sunday after some football game on FOX and I could actually get into what was going on because everything was in HQ and it was as if the camera was literally on the field, in between the two benches, as opposed to MLS games where the camera is all the way up at heights where the camera would be for an American Football game, getting a huge birds-eye view that's unnecessary as compared to the lowered, more panned out view of EPL games on FOX.

Obviously this is just a weird complaint of mine, but is definitely a major factor for me watching games. Plus EPL actually has stars and MLS doesn't, but that's a completely different story.

Love of the sport, I guess. I'll watch any kind of soccer I can. Nevermind the fact that I got into the Philly Union from expansion. That got me ten times more interested in the MLS. So yeah, maybe it's the lack of a franchise in Cleveland.

As for the lack of stars thing, I don't understand how you can be from Cleveland and be complaining about that. You'd think you'd be used to it. :P

For example I was watching Liverpool vs. Chelsea on Sunday after some football game on FOX and I could actually get into what was going on because everything was in HQ and it was as if the camera was literally on the field, in between the two benches, as opposed to MLS games where the camera is all the way up at heights where the camera would be for an American Football game, getting a huge birds-eye view that's unnecessary as compared to the lowered, more panned out view of EPL games on FOX.

It all depends on the stadium, and that's not just here in the US. I've watched plenty of EPL/Serie A/La Liga/Bundesliga/etc matches on several channels and again, it depends on the stadium. Tottenham's camera is abysmal (pretty sure it's them). Half of the La Liga cameras are in what appears to be the last row of the stadium.

While it is a legit complaint, it is hardly an MLS problem. It's an individual stadium problem. Try watching when Sporting Kansas City is on, or when the match is at Red Bull Arena. There's no difference.

The MLS matches are in HD as well assuming of course, you get HD packages. FSCHD/ESPNHD/Gala-Tele-Uni HD all show the MLS matches. Not really sure what's going on there.

Plus EPL actually has stars and MLS doesn't, but that's a completely different story.

Erm, what's your definition of "star ?" Henry, Beckham, Donovan, Keane, Bravo, De Rosario, Shea, Frings, Rosales, Keller (through this year) ..... meh, I can go on. Sure, some "stars" I'd name are relative to the league we're talking about but there are "household" names in the league as well. They may not be jam packed on every team, but hell, even EPL teams aren't all chock full of "stars."

If you think White Hart Lane is bad then you should watch a game coming from Loftus Road.

Did earlier this year, and yes it sucked.

=======================

SKC has released Lorenz, Rocastle, Jeferson (lol), Milos Stojcev.

Vancouver released Kahlfan who was promptly picked up by Philly (I like the pick up, thought he did well in his limited time).

Philly waives Holder and Juan Gonzalez (yes, JuanisGONE :shifty:)

Astonished we didn't waive Pat Noonan. What use does he really serve?

EDIT: That being said, he's the only really useless player we have on our squad, so that's nice. Even the likes of Jaqua and Ianni have strengths if we're opting to keep them.