2011 MLS Season Thread

HailtotheYo

:(

Though, of course, I expected it when we didn't even win our home game. Oh, well. From expansion to playoffs in one year is nothing to be upset about. I hope we do something with our midfield in the offseason. I don't remember ever seeing a team turn the ball over so much in the middle of the field as my boys.

:(

Though, of course, I expected it when we didn't even win our home game. Oh, well. From expansion to playoffs in one year is nothing to be upset about. I hope we do something with our midfield in the offseason. I don't remember ever seeing a team turn the ball over so much in the middle of the field as my boys.

Honestly I think Nowak's attitude/ability as a coach got you guys there a year or two early. He's that good. You guys are stupid young (something like 24 year average age or something) and have talent out the wazoo. Playoffs in the 2nd year is a fantastic season. It's only going to steadily grow and get better. I can easily see you guys being a Houston type of team in the next few years in terms of consistently finishing @ the conference final, semi-final level.

Seattle pushed it but could only get 2 ... plenty of chances though. Lost a little respect for Espindola after that match. Freaking bitch.

Espindola's a scumbag. RSL's star players (Espindola, Saborio, Morales) are all pretty shady, but I hate him the most. It was a good game, probably our best performance without Rosales on the field all year. At least Keller got to go out with a win, a clean sheet, and a big save.

Pulling for NYRB to win because I hate LA and like the idea of NYRB once again playing better without Marquez.

EDIT: Fuck :/

Sad of course that we lost, but Houston is a good squad, and this is still a good season for us. Like it was already said, our squad is really young, and we should only get better. Gabe Farfan and Shaneanon Williams are only going to get better next season, and I really feel that Williams has the potential to become a right back for the national team. Valdes had a pretty good first season in the MLS, so the back line will just get better. Same with the midfield, as Torres, Michael Farfan, and Adu all will have more time playing together. Hopefully the veterans like Mapp and Carroll can continue their solid play; Omobi Okugo needs to step up more and get some more playing time next year. Hopefully Mwanga can come into his own and be a consistent, ninety minute striker. We can't keep relying on Le Toux to bail us out.

Speaking of Le Toux, the dude's eligible and willing to play for the men's national team. With the squad really struggling still at forward, anyone else think he's worth a call-up?

Speaking of Le Toux, the dude's eligible and willing to play for the men's national team. With the squad really struggling still at forward, anyone else think he's worth a call-up?

No ... but only because Dempsey and Donovan already occupy the "floating" role he'd fill with the National Team. Klinsy is also looking like he's going to be moving to strictly defined roles as well so that kind of pushes him out of the picture as well. I just don't see him getting the nod up top over anyone we can bring in and he's better playing as the withdrawn striker anyway. It has nothing to do with him, but I just don't see where he fits in.

At this point I think I'm rooting for SKC to go all the way. I hate LA even more than I hate Portland, I respect RSL overall but I don't respect some of their tactics from Wednesday, and I'm indifferent on Houston but they're the second-best option.

Plus, I think an east coast team beating a team that's higher ranked than them and had a much harder road would further poke holes in the stupid playoff format we have now. (Am I bitter about the Sounders having to play the third-highest ranked team in MLS right off the bat? Mmmmmmaybe.)

Plus, I think an east coast team beating a team that's higher ranked than them and had a much harder road would further poke holes in the stupid playoff format we have now. (Am I bitter about the Sounders having to play the third-highest ranked team in MLS right off the bat? Mmmmmmaybe.)

^ Bingo. The playoffs are freaking retarded right now. I'm all about SKC (maybe even so much so that I hope they take out Houston). While in the "big picture" it's better if LA/RSL get the cup and auto CCL spot, anything that makes the league continue to improve its structure is a good thing. Having SKC or HOU would help do that.

Good to see Ching close down the Robertson Stadium era with a goal too.

Regarding the CCL, I'm pleased that the three top teams in MLS in LA, Seattle, and RSL will all have CCL spots in some form no matter what (Supporters Shield, US Open Cup, either a spot in the finals or a spot forfeited by LA either being in the finals or winning it).

Regarding the CCL, I'm pleased that the three top teams in MLS in LA, Seattle, and RSL will all have CCL spots in some form no matter what (Supporters Shield, US Open Cup, either a spot in the finals or a spot forfeited by LA either being in the finals or winning it).

100% this .... and honestly I'm good with either Hou/SKC getting the 4th spot. They both bring an element that the CCL needs from our end. Either a 4th quality side in Houston, or the stadium/presence/energy that SKC brings.

• Admin
Liverpool Football Club have confirmed the signing of Marc Pelosi from the DeAnza Force Club in California.

The midfielder was captain of the United States U17 team who participated in this year's FIFA World Cup tournament in Mexico.

Pelosi has featured 28 times for the U17s against other national sides, scoring eight goals.

Academy director Frank McParland said: "We're determined to identify the best possible talent globally and I'm delighted we've been able to to bring Marc in to the club."

Any good then?

He's scored some big goals and had some big assists in Concacaf tournaments ... he's as good a prospect as you'll get from the US at the moment that isn't already attached to a club somewhere. He's been at every level of the US Development program, one of very few.

I've seen him play one match live at the U15/U16 level and he was easily the best overall player on the pitch (match was against honduras I believe).

• Admin
David Beckham, whose five-year contract with the Los Angeles Galaxy expires at the end of the season, has been named one of the MLS's top midfielders, league commissioner Don Garber announced on Thursday.

The 36-year-old English star was recognized as one of the league's top 11 players in each position as voted by the players, team officials and media members.

Beckham, who appeared in 26 games for the Galaxy this season, was one of five midfielders named to the all-star team.

Beckham's team-mate and fellow midfielder Landon Donovan was also recognized along with France's Thierry Henry who plays forward for the New York Red Bulls.

Beckham ranked second in the League in assists with 15 and first in game-winning assists with seven. He also scored two goals.

Beckham will play in his first MLS Cup final on 20 November when the Galaxy face Houston at the Home Depot Centre.

MLS all-star team

Kasey Keller (Seattle Sounders); Jamison Olave (Real Salt Lake), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Todd Dunivant (LA Galaxy): Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Dwayne De Rosario (DC United); Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Thierry Henry (New York Red Bulls)

• 2 weeks later...